2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I read that Boldy is likely to sign once his BC season is over (early to late March depending on how far they go) so expect to see him suit up for the Wild this year still burning the 1st year of his deal.

It sure will be fun watching our team again come tomorrow night! Then nonstop hockey for months!

CaptainMusky

I know! Getting pumped. It just doesnt do it for me watching other teams play.

tswoboda

I read that Boldy is likely to sign once his BC season is over (early to late March depending on how far they go) so expect to see him suit up for the Wild this year still burning the 1st year of his deal.

It sure will be fun watching our team again come tomorrow night! Then nonstop hockey for months!

Interesting, I have not seen that and have actually seen most scouts say he would likely play another year at BC.

I think it definitely makes sense for him to be full time with the Wild next year. I mean they’ll have 4 holes to fill at forward and not much cap space so there should be plenty of opportunity for Boldy. I think the Wild would like to keep him in BC and not burn the ELC year but I bet Boldy and his agent will push hard to get him with the Wild.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We have a beer league game going on with the Florida teams. 5-4 and 3 minutes still left in the 2nd.

tswoboda

Galchenyuk is now on his 3rd team… this year. He wasn’t great in his cup of coffee with the Wild, but he wasn’t that bad either and no one had anything negative to say about him off the ice. So what is it about that guy that keeps him bouncing team to team?

Ripjiggen

He was drafted high and had 30 goals once. I think is just a matter of he holds some value but isn’t valuable enough or replaceable with someone younger. Don’t think it is a personal or work ethic thing with him just a numbers game he gets caught in I believe.

CaptainMusky

He was drafted high and had 30 goals once. I think is just a matter of he holds some value but isn’t valuable enough or replaceable with someone younger. Don’t think it is a personal or work ethic thing with him just a numbers game he gets caught in I believe.

I agree on all accounts. He fills a void and some team will assuredly fill a spot on a roster with him. I was sorta hoping the Wild would have kept him to ease KK97’s debut since Alex can speak Russian. This hasnt proven to be a setback at all however.
    Nice piece by Russo today on Dakota Mermis and his upcoming Wild debut tonight. Who knew that he was Randall McDaniel’s nephew?!
    I especially loved the part where Dakota and his brother while on the sideline of one of Randall’s games against the Rams they chewed out some DLman who cheapshotted Randall earlier in the game LOL kids.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Going to need a program tonight to tell who’s who.

At least the Wild will win the battle for style points now that Addison and his magic Flomullet have rolled into town. Perfectly melding the classic mullet with the postmodern flow and just subtle hints of the dual exhaust.

Grouse

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Did I hear Zuccarello is back tonight? Interested to see if he was really impacted by that injury last season or if he’s just done.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Did I hear Zuccarello is back tonight? Interested to see if he was really impacted by that injury last season or if he’s just done.

Zuc is back tonight as well as Dumba…It will be interesting to see what they do if Addison lights it up these next few games… he gets 6 games before his 1st year contract kicks in…I’m guessing the Wild do NOT want to burn his 1st year now…

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Zuc is back tonight as well as Dumba…It will be interesting to see what they do if Addison lights it up these next few games… he gets 6 games before his 1st year contract kicks in…I’m guessing the Wild do NOT want to burn his 1st year now…

I wouldn’t think they would want to burn it either, but they may be forced to with all the injuries/Covid.

It will be good to see Zuccarello healthy, but I wouldnt get to hyped up because he is going to be far from game ready I would think.

There were a few more players from the Covid list cleared yesterday.
    Nick Bonino, Nico Sturm AND IAN COLE off today’s NHL’s COVID-19 protocol list.

Brodin, Hunt, Rask, Soucy, Talbot, Rau remain.
    The strange one to me is Rask. He came off the list then was put back on it the next day. Weird.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I can’t remember who mentioned the hype around the 2022 NHL draft class a week or so ago? but I spent some time investigating and wowzers were you correct! The top 10 players are all elite level talent and it doesn’t drop too much for the next 10 players. Most experts I read are calling the 2022 draft one of the best in the past 20 years…

Obviously all NHL teams know this so the idea of the Wild potentially swapping one of their 2021 1st round picks for somebodies 2022 1st round pick is unlikely, it does give BillyG another lever to use to get as much draft capital he can get for the next 2 drafts…

CaptainMusky

Brad Lambert from Finland is a Center and I thought he was impressive in the WJC. We all know we need centers, but he is going to go high in the draft so it might be tough to get him.

Did you see this piece by chance?

The 2022 NHL draft is going to be wicked

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If Greenway continues to play like he has to start the season or takes off, do the Wild use him as trade bait with a draft pick or two for a top center? Would it be enough?

If he keeps this up I would think he and Dumba would be our top assets to trade.

CaptainMusky

I agree Greenway has certainly impressed so far, but guys with his size are so hard to come by I am not sure I would trade him. I get it top line centers are next to impossible to get and perhaps Greenway is a chip in a deal to get that done, but man, if he keeps this up his ceiling is so high and I dont think we have anyone else in the system that brings much of what he is capable of. Definitely would be a consideration and I would think that BG thinks aside from the guys with NMC, etc that no one is untouchable.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We have a beer league game going on with the Florida teams. 5-4 and 3 minutes still left in the 2nd.

Looks like the southern Florida beer league team got the win Pug

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think BillyG wants to see how the rest of the season and offseason pan out for Greenway before he decides if he’s a trade asset or not… The issue sofar with Greenway’s young career is staying in shape and not taking games off….sofar so good this season, he’s made a complete 180… but he wants to see it carry over into next season. Big power forwards are a rare breed and certainly somebody you don’t want to trade, but if a Barkov type of trade becomes a possibility, you do what you can to get the purple unicorn this franchise has never had…

CaptainMusky

Big power forwards are a rare breed and certainly somebody you don’t want to trade, but if a Barkov type of trade becomes a possibility, you do what you can to get the purple unicorn this franchise has never had…

That is exactly the name that came to my mind as an option to explore.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it’s been awhile since we floated some trade scenarios around (I think it’s fun)

How about this one:

Wild Gets: Alex Barkov (C) and either Anton Lundell (C) or Spencer Knight (G) (another possibility is we also take on Keith Yandle’s contract in return, Florida would love this)

Florida Gets: Kevin Fiala (W) and Matt Dumba (D) and BOTH of our 2021 1st round picks and another mid-level prospect like Beckman or Khovanov.

Why this works for the Wild – We finally fill our #1 center hole and also get either a solid #2 center prospect or a future starting goalie prospect (My guess is Florida would choose to keep Lundell) We use the cap space saved from Fiala and Dumba and re-sign Kaprizov & Barkov to big extensions (Barkov likely gets $10+ million per range) Wild also get high value for risky 2021 1st round picks due to lack of scouting because of covid. If we took back Yandle, this would obviously complicate things a bit in terms of cap space in years 2 & 3 of his remaining deal and more importantly from the expansion draft perspective as he has a NTC.

Why this works for Florida – They get a young 1st line forward and a young top pairing Defenseman and 2 first round picks and a mid-level prospect to fill holes. They also get good value for a elite goalie prospect who would otherwise rot in the minors as their current starter is still on the books for 5 more years at $10 million per. If they could also get rid of the Keith Yandle saga they would love it…

Why this trade would fail – Either Florida thinks they can sign Barkov long term after next season or they would ask for Matt Boldy to be included and I don’t see the Wild wanting to include him…

If you were the Wild/Panthers GM, would you do this trade? I would say Yes to both…

CaptainMusky

I don’t hate it, its definitely something to churn that is for sure. I would have to look at the contracts to figure out if salary retention would be necessary with something like that one way or another. I think the tipping point is the 2 first rounders. I agree its going to be a strange year with so many guys not even playing.
    If you make a trade like that just think of how this roster has turned over in a short window. I mean, Fenton started it, but BG has really been making his mark.
    The other thing that I know you have mentioned before and why FLA would want Fiala is that Fenton is there. So you HAVE to guess that if the two would be trading partners that he would be in the ask in return.
    Its just too dang bad we didnt have 2 seasons ago Staal to center Fiala and Kaprisov. He had such a great year that year and man, it would have been fun to watch him work with some serious skill on both sides of him. I know Parise would have been pissed not playing with him, but that would have been a dynamic line IMO.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here’s my thinking moneywise,

Fiala is going to ask for $7+ million per in his new deal, it’s just the going rate nowadays, I don’t know what his stat comparables are to recent contracts, but you know his agent will try to justify it by saying he’s not playing with playmakers and you’re eating into his UFA years on a longer term deal, etc, etc

Dumba has 2 more years after this one for $6 per

Barkov has 1 more year at $5.9
    Yandle has 2 more years after this one for $6.75

the prospects & picks both ways are a wash cap wise…

obviously taking on the older & expensive Yandle is not desired (He actually is still a good player though) but it might be a necessary concession to get Barkov…

I think the Wild’s goal in ANY Trade is obviously hanging onto Rossi, Boldy and Khusnidinov, this type of trade does that…

Ripjiggen

Florida is 9-2-1 or something like that. Why would they trade Barkov now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

lots of rumors he wants out after his contract is up…his value is never higher than it is right now, especially with one year left on his deal still at only $5.9

No fans in Florida to complain about it too…

Ripjiggen

I don’t hate it, its definitely something to churn that is for sure. I would have to look at the contracts to figure out if salary retention would be necessary with something like that one way or another. I think the tipping point is the 2 first rounders. I agree its going to be a strange year with so many guys not even playing.
    If you make a trade like that just think of how this roster has turned over in a short window. I mean, Fenton started it, but BG has really been making his mark.
    The other thing that I know you have mentioned before and why FLA would want Fiala is that Fenton is there. So you HAVE to guess that if the two would be trading partners that he would be in the ask in return.
    Its just too dang bad we didnt have 2 seasons ago Staal to center Fiala and Kaprisov. He had such a great year that year and man, it would have been fun to watch him work with some serious skill on both sides of him. I know Parise would have been pissed not playing with him, but that would have been a dynamic line IMO.

Curious how you think BG has made his mark so far. He has turned over a roster but don’t see anything yet that he can put a stamp in to say I accomplished this.

Ripjiggen

lots of rumors he wants out after his contract is up…his value is never higher than it is right now, especially with one year left on his deal still at only $5.9

No fans in Florida to complain about it too…

Maybe there is talk after season is over. Not getting traded during this season. Does Bill G want to or can make a move on a center that might want a 10 mill a year contract and no guarantee he will resign with the wild either.

JoeMX1825
    MN

BillyG will be judged by what he does this offseason moving forward, everything he does from now on is mostly decisions he had full authority on (outside of the Parise and Suter contracts he inherited)

Yes, he got Kaprizov to sign, but I think that was all to do with timing more than any convincing he actually did… He has what looks to be a great draft under his belt and we’ll see what he’s able to turn his rental UFA’s into and what types of contracts he can sign Kaprizov and Fiala (if not traded) to.

CaptainMusky

Curious how you think BG has made his mark so far. He has turned over a roster but don’t see anything yet that he can put a stamp in to say I accomplished this.

The Zucker trade for starters. Got a top D prospect and a 1st round pick in return. Not signing Koivu and the Staal trade also. Everyone has complained about the age and stagnant roster and those were two cornerstones for years. Yeah, the return may not have been phenomenal, but in exchange getting expiring contracts (roster flexibility) that will garner some interest by playoff contending teams makes a ton of sense. He dished out Dubnyk, signed Talbot which is an obvious upgrade.
    He did give up on Donato, but we have young depth at forward and he just wasnt going to get top 6 minutes on the Wild.

tswoboda

Really went all out there huh. I think a more realistic who says no game would be Rask for Stepan – with Galchenyuk somehow thrown in even though he doesn’t play for either team.

Blockbusters are fun to talk about but just rarely ever happen, especially during the season.

Maybe not his “stamp”, but his calling card has definitely been trading for pending UFAs. I think every trade he’s made has acquired a pending UFA.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I agree big trades are unlikely this season (limiting the Canada teams due to covid quarentine) The Columbus/Winnipeg trade the exception… but with picks in the mix it obviously has to happen before the Draft…

Ripjiggen

Agree I guess that was my point as I don’t think he can put his mark on much at the moment. KK was coming most likely whomever the GM was. Good draft only time will tell there. Looks good from afar but again just prospects at the moment.

I think he is going to have to give haul to get a number one center. Most of the trade rumor reports I am seeing is that Wild hold Dumba in pretty high reguardless and most other GM’s do not. I get there is some sales tap dancing going on with that but I think if Barkov gets moved Florida is going to ask the world for him. Does Barkov not want to just hit free agency and see what he is worth and choose a team HE wants to go to?

Viewing 30 posts - 811 through 840 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.