2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• tswoboda

This is going to be a mess! The only solution I see moving forward will be getting rapid testing and all of the other new mitigation solutions actually work….all big ifs…

It sounds like the league is moving towards more rapid testing, but are having trouble getting enough machines to run the tests… probably something that should have been figured out before the season. That’s one big difference between the NHL protocol and the other leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA) that so far have had less games postponed. They have all been using rapid testing.

CaptainMusky

It sounds like the league is moving towards more rapid testing, but are having trouble getting enough machines to run the tests… probably something that should have been figured out before the season. That’s one big difference between the NHL protocol and the other leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA) that so far have had less games postponed. They have all been using rapid testing.

Right! As good as the NHL looked getting last season finished and a Stanley Cup awarded they are looking as bad now with how they are handling it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would take MLB and NFL somewhat out of that argument as they play outside or in HUGE open air arenas and there’s more distance gaps between players (Other than the offensive/defensive lines – I would really like to see the NFL’s COVID numbers amongst just the linemen, curious how it compares with other positions that don’t have as much direct face to face interaction?)

The NHL plays in a low humidity/colder indoor atmosphere enclosed with 12′ plexiglass causing the virus droplets to stay airborn longer, some things they will now do like removing the bench glass and using air purifiers on the bench should have been no brainers before the season started…

But YES the NBA is doing something alot better than the NHL is….I suspect you’ll see more information sharing happening because the NHL season is at risk of shutting down and then moving into an expensive bubble system…

I would think every scenario was thought of before the season started with contingency plans ready to go when certain thresholds are met…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Right! As good as the NHL looked getting last season finished and a Stanley Cup awarded they are looking as bad now with how they are handling it.

They absolutely will do another playoff bubble, it’s the added cost and time away from families to do a longer bubble with EVERY team that’s causing them to not do a bubble(s) now.

tswoboda

In other news… I thought this was funny.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2021-02-08-153636.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So next Tuesday at LA… That’ll be almost 2 weeks off, and against the team that started it all.

You’re killing me, Smalls. Man, I’m so bored I even watched the Superbowl. No, really. It’s that bad. And now another week with no Wild?

Some of you probably saw this already, but as most hockey fans suspected…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Addison looked good the other night in Iowa, he was in complete control when the puck was on his stick, he’ll be a solid 2nd pair D in a year or two. My guess is he’ll get called up for a cup of coffee this season some time.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Well that didn’t take long. Laine gets benched

Tortorella on sitting Patrik Laine: ‘The last thing I want to do is bench a player’

CaptainMusky

Well that didn’t take long. Laine gets benched

Torts being Torts. I can see sitting someone for their effort, but an entire period? Hmm. He pulls no punches. The players that have been with him a while know it and likely were benched at one time. Its what he expects of each and everyone. I appreciate the fact he doesnt cave to these guys, but I also think an entire period might be a bit much or like PLD’s case all but one shift of an entire game seems excessive.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Torts being Torts

He’s an interesting (and quite often entertaining) coach. Especially when the media asks him about this sort of thing in post game news conferences. I can recall one time many years ago he literally said “kiss my ass” to one of the reporters lol

JoeMX1825
    MN

I saw the plays that led to the benching and Yes, they were no effort, lazy defensive positioning plays that led to goals…

BUT

You don’t pay Patrick Liane to play defense, you pay him to score goals…Not every player in an all-around perfect player, some have skill sets meant for 1 purpose, Liane’s is to score goals…You don’t see coaches harping on stay at home defensive defenseman or defensive forwards for not scoring enough do you?

Torts is an a$$, he’s always been an a$$, every person on earth who follows hockey knew this was going to happen with Liane, I think Torts and the Jackets are trying to set a new standard for Liane to follow from an effort standpoint, everyone knows it won’t stick…and honestly I think the Jackets know it won’t either…

CaptainMusky

He’s an interesting (and quite often entertaining) coach. Especially when the media asks him about this sort of thing in post game news conferences. I can recall one time many years ago he literally said “kiss my ass” to one of the reporters lol

That is awesome! He certainly doesnt care what others think and its his way or you sit or get sent packing. Laine is a tremendous talent, but this lack of effort on D isnt some new thing so this move is hard to understand regard moving one lazy player for another. Guessing the CBJ GM thought he could get Laine to change since he is Finnish???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is a good one. 2007 as head coach of Tampa. “We know what we did. Next question.”

tswoboda

You don’t pay Patrick Liane to play defense, you pay him to score goals…Not every player in an all-around perfect player, some have skill sets meant for 1 purpose, Liane’s is to score goals…You don’t see coaches harping on stay at home defensive defenseman or defensive forwards for not scoring enough do you?

The big difference in your analogy is that offense is about skill and defense is about effort. Torts can’t motivate a player into being more skilled, but he can motivate them into giving more effort on defense. And that’s exactly what he’s doing. He’s sending a message early to Laine that effort on defense is required in Columbus. I like it. Will it probably get him fired eventually? Yeah. Do I think For torts cares? Not at all! Torts is a beauty and I hope he stays in the league as long as he wants!

Anyone see Roslovic’s goal in the 3rd? He pulled a move at full speed that looked like something only McDavid can do. I don’t remember seeing that skill from him in Winnipeg.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That is awesome! He certainly doesnt care what others think and its his way or you sit or get sent packing. Laine is a tremendous talent, but this lack of effort on D isnt some new thing so this move is hard to understand regard moving one lazy player for another. Guessing the CBJ GM thought he could get Laine to change since he is Finnish???

Torts seems to be a bit of a one-trick pony when it comes to getting something different out of players. Every team deals with these issues, but for whatever reason, most of the coaches in the league handle the majority of these situations without resorting to benching players.

At some point the Columbus GM is going to start asking himself, do we have a player problem or a coaching problem?

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

My guess is he’ll get traded again to someplace like Pittsburgh, Chicago or Washington for 1/2 value and score 50+ goals every year afterwards…

tswoboda

My guess is he’ll get traded again to someplace like Pittsburgh, Chicago or Washington for 1/2 value and score 50+ goals every year afterwards…

Sad but true. I think he has 2 more seasons until UFA but if he goes to arbitration his cap hit could be huge. Auston Matthews is probably the closest comparable, not many guys with 150+ goals in their first 5 seasons.

CaptainMusky

Did Torts just force another person out? Koivu just announced his retirement.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just saw that too, strange that he would go through all of the COVID recovery and then retire a few weeks after getting back on the ice…I can only imagine how he felt about all of the drama going on with players quitting on the ice…must have made his blood boil…

CaptainMusky

Yeah, as a 16 year vet I cannot see that sitting well with him. He had 4 points so he was still producing, but his comments were centered around he hasnt gotten to the level of play he expects of himself. Perhaps due to Covid since he had it at the start of the season.
    Sucks to see his career end like this.

Ripjiggen

Torts is a tool. His motivational tactics are from the 80’s and he has never adapted to anything in today’s game. No way he ever gets a high end FA to sign there. When he calls the modern day hockey player pansies nobody is going hell yeah I want to play for this guy.

tswoboda

Penguins hire Hextall as GM AND Burke as President. Burkie is a big shocker to me, I thought he was happily retired and content as an analyst. I remember him in interviews saying the most important thing as a GM is having a good owner. He’s definitely a guy that says exactly what he feels.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Torts is a tool. His motivational tactics are from the 80’s and he has never adapted to anything in today’s game. No way he ever gets a high end FA to sign there. When he calls the modern day hockey player pansies nobody is going hell yeah I want to play for this guy.

LOL but he’s animated and entertaining

CaptainMusky

Yeah, that Burke hire is a surprise. I also never thought Id see the day Hextall would have anything to do with the Pens after his hated relationship playing against them all those years.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Kind of bummed with Koivu, wish he could have retired in a Wild sweater.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Penguins hire Hextall as GM AND Burke as President. Burkie is a big shocker to me, I thought he was happily retired and content as an analyst. I remember him in interviews saying the most important thing as a GM is having a good owner. He’s definitely a guy that says exactly what he feels.

I’d like to be a fly on the wall in their first few meetings on the direction the Penguins should take, both of those guys have ego’s too big to fit through the doorway…Burke needs to make sure Hextall doesn’t have a goalie stick hidden in the meeting room…

CaptainMusky

Burke also was just an analyst and commented that the Penguins Cup window is “closed”. Any ballsy reporter going to ask the obvious question? LOL

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Kind of bummed with Koivu, wish he could have retired in a Wild sweater.

I’m with you. Sad enough to have it end by the Wild just saying adios, but then going to another team only to have it not work out and then retire anyway. Sad to end it that way.

Does his family still live in MN? I thought he lived in Woodbury / Lake Elmo but did they move? I hope he sticks around. Wonder if he might coach one day. That’d add some zip to a high school program, Koivu takes the reigns of a storied HS program…

I hope when fans are back at the X, they can give him proper goodbye from the fans.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

Don’t quote me on this Grouse, but I thought I read somewhere that he and his wife are separated or possibly divorced. Not sure where he or his family are, but I know he just recently said he considers MN home so he may still live here.

Viewing 30 posts - 751 through 780 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.