2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

Hasn’t Dallas had games rescheduled. Tampa missed a few games at the beginning because they were supposed to be their opponent. I think they rescheduled for later in the season.

Yes but keep having this happen and rescheduling will not be an option.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Strange that Johansson is on the list, he’s been hurt since Saturday night and likely away from the players since?

Dont they get tested daily?

Ripjiggen

Thought the same thing but being in the protocol doesn’t necessarily mean you tested positive.
    Also a chance he got it from folingo and just now had a positive test. Who knows, hopefully a speedy recovery for all.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It could be worse, we could be the Devils…

Honestly I don’t get how huge outbreaks dont happen more often within sports teams, you’d think the NFL would have had much higher infection rates then what they announced due to the number of players on the team and the face to face interactions they have every play, especially the players on the O&D lines.

Ripjiggen

NFL I think did well because of week to week games. Gave players a chance to not miss games if they could shake it quickly and test negative but also were not traveling as much NHL NBA to different cities. NFL kept them fairly isolated at practice anyway.
    But yes I agree I thought there would have been more.

CaptainMusky

For those wanting a hockey fix with the Wild out of commission for a bit, you are able to stream the Iowa Wild. Russo has the details in this link:

JoeMX1825
    MN

I signed up for my free trial account this morning, plan on watching tonight

JoeMX1825
    MN

Iowa Wild Game last night:

Addison looked really good, the young kids took a period or two but looked like they belonged out there..

It’s amazing how much slower and less polished the AHL is vs the NHL, now you can understand how guys like Mayhew can dominate the AHL, but can’t survive for more than a few games at a time in the NHL…makes you appreciate even more the kids who can go right from Junior or College to the NHL…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Since the Wild is on a covid break its been pretty tough filling the NHL gap outside of the odd NBCSN game during the week. I’ve been doing some reading and the Olympic team roster projections have been alot of fun going through. When was the last time Team USA was a legit gold medal candidate? Well they are now and project to be many years to come! Its fun to project who slots where, who makes the most sense to play with who, etc…Team USA and obviously Canada could fill 2 separate teams and compete for a metal with both!

Kaprizov is projected to be on line 2 with Ovi! Brodin is finally getting some love and projects to be a top 4 D for Sweden.

CaptainMusky

USA hockey really revised their development program in the early 2000s. I was reading a piece about it the other day and it was referenced as the cause of some of the elite players coming into the nhl from USA hockey in recent years like Mathews, Tkatchuk and the Hughes kids. They focus far more effort on high end skill development vs rules like off sides etc. Kind of interesting but it seems to be working.

tswoboda

Man I just hope the 2022 Olympic games happen and NHLers are there!

As always Canada looks like the best team in terms of both superstars and depth, that is a tough team to beat. The big question mark for Canada is goaltending where they are like the 4th or 5th best country. Price and Fleury are getting old with not much coming behind them.

The US looks a lot like Canada just not as good, but with way better goaltending. This is by far the best centers the US has ever had with Matthews/Eichel… Still not near as good as Canada with McDavid Mackinnon Crosby Bergeron down the middle.

Sweden and Finland both will have solid teams again. Good goaltending for both while Finland is stacked at forward and Sweden is stacked at D. Combine those 2 rosters and it would probably win gold. It’s amazing how good those countries are considering their population combined is less than New York.

Russia has multiple superstars at wing but I never realized that after Malkin and Kuznetsov (suspended for the 2022 OGs) they have NO centers. They might end up with 3 KHL players as their centers. Kaprizov will be fighting with Svechnikov and Tsrasenko for that 2nd line wing spot after the big 3.

JoeMX1825
    MN

not sure if anybody heard this Saturday’s Beyond the Pond on kfan, but Russo was on and mentioned that Dumba escaped major injury and it’s not his knee. He hinted that it’s likely a high ankle sprain so expect him back after a 2-3 more weeks. Spurgeon and Johansson injuries will likely be all cleared up by the time the Wild gets out of COVID lockdown. Looking at the schedule, I would think the NHL would want to error on the safe side and cancels the Wild games through 2/18 to give them the biggest buffer with the least amount of games missed to hopefully get everybody off the COVID list. I didn’t realize how many 4-5 day gaps they have the remaining 3 months of the season, so we’ll likely get tons of 4 games in 5 day stretches.

CaptainMusky

Good news about Dumba. I hadnt listened to that show, will have to see if the podcast is uploaded somewhere, but that is definitely a positive if true.
    Russo was speculating earlier that he thought the NHL would postpone Thursdays game against STL and the Wild would just get back to service in LA earlier. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Anyone see/hear about the gaffe in Columbus yesterday? There was a goal scored and it was challenged by CBJ and Trocheck was clearly offsides. Some off-ice official in training commented to the officials that it was onside (its not his call) and the on ice officials took off their headsets and called it a good goal.
    In a panic Toronto tried to get the officials attention but wasnt able to. CBJ was assessed a penalty with 1:15 left in the second. At the end of the period they got ahold of the officials and decided they couldnt take that goal off the board since there was no “precedence” to do so, but felt it wasnt fair for CBJ to be shorthanded so they canceled the rest of the penalty.
    LOL
    What a mess!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man I just hope the 2022 Olympic games happen and NHLers are there!

I’m fine with NHLers playing in the Olympics and I think the players want to participate in them too. It makes for better overall hockey on an international stage. What I don’t agree with is pausing the NHL season while its going though. Shutting down the entire league for a month is bologna. Call up some players from the AHL if you have to but it needs to continue as its scheduled.

Ripjiggen

If that is the case see how many NHL teams let there superstars leave for the olympics. Watching the NHL without any stars would be a tad slow. Honestly who is paying attention to NHL games if the stars are playing for there countries.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t see how the NHL allows the Wild back for awhile since Hunt was just placed on the COVID list yesterday, we need several days of no more positives before it appears to be under control, then we have to hope everyone was asymptomatic…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If that is the case see how many NHL teams let there superstars leave for the olympics. Watching the NHL without any stars would be a tad slow. Honestly who is paying attention to NHL games if the stars are playing for there countries.

Well technically it should be up to the employer, not the players. Who’s paying the players? The owners. That’s something the owners and the players need to agree on. What if a superstar gets a season-ending injury in the Olympics and is unable to play the rest of the NHL season? I’d be pissed if I was an owner and one (or more) of my best players got hurt playing in it.

Plus not every team has Olympic-caliber players either.

CaptainMusky

Well technically it should be up to the employer, not the players. Who’s paying the players? The owners. That’s something the owners and the players need to agree on. What if a superstar gets a season-ending injury in the Olympics and is unable to play the rest of the NHL season? I’d be pissed if I was an owner and one (or more) of my best players got hurt playing in it.

There was some talk about hockey moving to summer olympics. That would be stranged, but it would alleviate an in season stoppage. I dont know if that would fly though.
    The players want to play in the Olympics and its one thing they negotiated recently, but I agree the owners cannot be too happy about it for the risks mentioned.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

The NHL (owners) and NHLPA (player’s union) did agree on it… it’s called the CBA. The points you make are valid and have all been hashed out over and over, but for 2022 the owners agreed to let the players play in the OGs so let’s just enjoy it instead of peeing in our own cheerios.

Anyone remember the last true best on best international hockey tournament… 2016 World Cup. Team North America games were some of the most exciting hockey I’ve ever watched and I think everyone watching was on their side. 19/20 year old McDavid, Mackinnon, Mathews, and Eichel all on the same team. If you look at that Team NA roster almost every player will be on the 2022 US or Canada rosters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The NHL (owners) and NHLPA (player’s union) did agree on it… it’s called the CBA. The points you make are valid and have all been hashed out over and over, but for 2022 the owners agreed to let the players play in the OGs so let’s just enjoy it instead of peeing in our own cheerios.

Thank you for clarifying that. I assumed that virtually every player selected for an Olympic team would want to participate and represent their native country. Do you know if they agreed to pause the season while the games are going or are they going to continue to play?

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Thank you for clarifying that. I assumed that virtually every player selected for an Olympic team would want to participate and represent their native country. Do you know if they agreed to pause the season while the games are going or are they going to continue to play?

They’ll pause the season. The owners don’t want to play games without stars, the NHLPA won’t want to play games without stars, and the fans won’t want to watch games without stars. TV ratings for the NHL during the Olympic Games would be terrible.

Ripjiggen

That was my point. Nobody would watch an NHL game without the stars. Has to be a stoppage and honestly it would give the NHL an overall lift long term when the Olympics are the focus. Like stated it was agreed upon otherwise no owner would want any player to leave for the Olympics.

CaptainMusky

9 players and 1 staff now positive and Guerin expects more. Has a call later today with NHL Lead Medical, etc to determine if they are going to postpone more games or not. I think at this point it would be foolish to go with the current schedule considering they seem to add a person almost daily. The silver lining is this will allow injured players to heal up. Apparently Dumba may begin skating next week. So that is great news.

tswoboda

9 players and 1 staff now positive and Guerin expects more. Has a call later today with NHL Lead Medical, etc to determine if they are going to postpone more games or not. I think at this point it would be foolish to go with the current schedule considering they seem to add a person almost daily. The silver lining is this will allow injured players to heal up. Apparently Dumba may begin skating next week. So that is great news.

Sounds like a couple more positive tests coming later today. Will games get postponed until next week? I just wanna get back to watching some Wild games.

CaptainMusky

I know, the days without Wild games are excruciating I was just getting hyped about getting Fiala back and watching Kaprisov impress nightly and now we have to wait. At minimum I would guess they postpone Thursday’s game, but even at that, then they play Saturday. I dont know how they could realistically go about that since Foligno was the first to test positive and that was basically a week ago right? They are not allowed to play until they’re either symptom-free for 10 days or 10 days out from their last positive test if they’re asymptomatic. So best case Foligno wouldnt be available until like the end of this week. I heard that members of the Taxi Squad may have been impacted too.

CaptainMusky

Welp, Russo just tweeted that the Wild shutdown will be extended at least a week. So that’s answers that…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t expect them to play again until the 18th at the earliest…those 10 days will only cost them 4 more games and then they play the Ducks 2 games with with whomever is covid free and then they have another 5 day break. The more likely decision will be they extend it out 18 days and cause them to miss 6 games total…Then they would need to make up the 9 games in the final few months of the season…

ALL of this is also factoring in that other teams the Wild is scheduled to face in the future don’t get their own COVID outbreaks (unlikely) causing more of our games to need to be rescheduled…

This is going to be a mess! The only solution I see moving forward will be getting rapid testing and all of the other new mitigation solutions actually work….all big ifs…

tswoboda

Welp, Russo just tweeted that the Wild shutdown will be extended at least a week. So that’s answers that…

So next Tuesday at LA… That’ll be almost 2 weeks off, and against the team that started it all. I’m just hoping at the end of this we all get to read the ironic headline: “Wild Use Virus to Get Healthy”. This will give extra time to Spurgeon, Johansson, Zuccarrelo, and Dumba to heal up and miss less games. But who knows when/how/if they are going to make up 6 games in a condensed season.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t see how the NHL doesn’t add 7-10 days at the end of the season as a buffer for all of these makeup games to be played, other than the Canada Division, every team is likely going to be effected in some way or another…

Viewing 30 posts - 721 through 750 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.