2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

First time watching Kirill for me last night. Watched period 1&2 and there’s no doubt he’s going to be a top 10 player. What I really liked was he is creative and seems to have good hockey instincts.

He’s really been a treat to watch. His first few games he has some D zone gaffs, that will never be a strong suit for him, but its been considerably better since.
    Glad you were able to see what we have been seeing.

CaptainMusky

Also, continuing from years past, we missed the net on shot after shot after shot last night. I’m not talking high quality chances, but when you constantly sail the puck high and wide, you get zero chances at those pinball garbage goals.

Basically, with the gaps the Wild have, are they reliably going to play with a team like Colorado for a 7 game series? No. Are they good enough to be a real pain in Colorado’s arse? Absolutely. Are they entertaining? Absolutely. The Thrill alone is worth the price of admission.

Grouse

This has been one of my main frustrations with Dumba over the years. He has a bomb of a shot, but it does ZERO good if its shoulders high and wide of the net! He needs to ditch the Coffey Curve and go with a flatter blade or something. I was watching the NHL Network broadcast prior to our game and they were talking about Pavelski and his effectiveness in front. They talked about him having the max allowable width blade. Interesting, which would lead to his ability to get his stick on some many tips. Others should be trying that.

Other than that, did you guys see that some guy in Baltimore (I think) received an entire shipment of Zdeno Chara’s sticks at his house? He tweeted something like “Um @FedEx @allcaps why did a load of sticks arrive at my house and where are my skates”. LOL $5000 shipped FedEx and obviously a delivery or address error, but that’s hilarious.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

He needs to ditch the Coffey Curve and go with a flatter blade or something.

LOL

The read years ago that the Coffey curve is the most popular curve on a hockey stick of all time. They’re still making wood sticks with that curve for cryin’ out loud. I think every hockey stick I own at the moment has that curve. Its quite aggressive but I love it

Walleye Hungry

I understand that we got quite a few guys out, but watching Suter on the Power Play makes me want to tear my hair out.

-Slower than molasses on a -20 day
    -Floats around the blue line yet never can get to a puck that is being tossed out of the zone by the D
    -Shot is subpar at best for a power play guy (yes i know he hit the post last night…but it was the post, not a goal)
    -Does not make the Defense move or create opportunities for other guys on the PP

I get that we want at least one defensive guy on the PP but he is too slow to react even if the D does get an odd man chance for a shorty.

Dont even get me started on off puck movement.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    He needs to ditch the Coffey Curve and go with a flatter blade or something.

LOL

The read years ago that the Coffey curve is the most popular curve on a hockey stick of all time. They’re still making wood sticks with that curve for cryin’ out loud. I think every hockey stick I own at the moment has that curve. Its quite aggressive but I love it

Yep, it was! I had one. I remember in PeeWees when we could first start taking slapshots I wanted that stick so bad. I got one and yowsers! Couldnt control the shot at all. I got into a fight at hockey camp with some dufus from Princeton during some poorly designed drill where we’d skate down one side of the ice and take a shot on net. Well, the opposite corner is where all the players formed the line. I missed the net 3 times in a row (apparently 1 time too many for the Tiger) and it slammed the glass right next to his head each time. -)

CaptainMusky

I understand that we got quite a few guys out, but watching Suter on the Power Play makes me want to tear my hair out.

I agree with you but Suter hasnt been on the #1 PP unit all season until last night I dont think unless the PP started after one of the regulars were already on the ice and tired.
    With Dumba and Spurgeon now out its really tough to decide who to put out there. With Fiala coming back tomorrow that should help push Suter back to the #2 unit because I have a feeling they try Fiala up top. Which is risky, but I think they will do it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m really not liking the lack of injury updates! It’s been how many days now and we still don’t know the extent of Dumba’s injury? Is it a sprain and he’s out a month or less? did he tear his MCL/ACL and is done for the next 8 months?

What about Johansson?

I don’t get why this hasn’t been released yet? You know they did all the tests 1-2 days after the injury…

CaptainMusky

Scott Wheeler released his latest Prospect rankings and Wild are #8. Get this, that is without Kaprisov! So they went from 14 last year to 8 while losing their best prospect on the list. That really speaks to the draft and the trade for Addison.
    Since Scott does have a relationship with Rossi, I believe they are in contact. He doesnt say to much in the article, references the piece Russo did, but did offer this: “He says he is feeling fine”. So that is a good sign.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Other than that, did you guys see that some guy in Baltimore (I think) received an entire shipment of Zdeno Chara’s sticks at his house?

That would be my luck. Get an entire shipment of left-handed hockey sticks… Great.

CaptainMusky

Other than that, did you guys see that some guy in Baltimore (I think) received an entire shipment of Zdeno Chara’s sticks at his house?

That would be my luck. Get an entire shipment of left-handed hockey sticks… Great.

Best scorers shoot left. Just sayin’. At least that is what I always say and coincidentally I shoot left. LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

Scott Wheeler released his latest Prospect rankings and Wild are #8. Get this, that is without Kaprisov! So they went from 14 last year to 8 while losing their best prospect on the list. That really speaks to the draft and the trade for Addison.
    Since Scott does have a relationship with Rossi, I believe they are in contact. He doesnt say to much in the article, references the piece Russo did, but did offer this: “He says he is feeling fine”. So that is a good sign.

Hard to argue with his analysis, it really points out how this prospect cupboard is mostly only 2 years old…what a terrible miss Filip Johansson has been though…wtf were they thinking taking him? I will say he’s shown a bit of a heart beat the last few months in Sweden and hasn’t totally flatlined yet as a prospect… If I remember correctly, we just have a few months left to sign him or he’s a UFA…

tswoboda

The taxi squad fill ins really impressed me so far, happy to see them playing well after almost a year without games. I only caught the last half of the game last night and heard the announcer say Rau had a big hit and then got in fight, like WHAT?!?! shock Looking like that organizational depth will be important for the Wild this year.

I actually expected them higher just because of Wheeler’s love for Rossi. The wild have 3 potential impact players in their pipeline. Boldy & Rossi are no doubt top 6 forwards, potentially legit 1st liners. Addison will hopefully be a 2nd pairing offensive D that can run a GOOD power play, my hope is a Torey Krug/Tyson Barrie comparable. I love watching Addison highlights just for his skating, straight line speed and agility are both very impressive and he is outstanding at walking the line.

The Wild also have like 10 more prospects that have legit shots to play NHL games which is very good. Maybe they get lucky and one of them also develop into a top of the lineup impact player.

Not to mention they are also six and half feet long and 300 flex! I could cut them in half and put a blade in the top half.

Best scorers shoot left. Just sayin’. At least that is what I always say and coincidentally I shoot left. LOL

Ovi and Laine would probably disagree with that whistling

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hard to argue with his analysis, it really points out how this prospect cupboard is mostly only 2 years old…what a terrible miss Filip Johansson has been though…wtf were they thinking taking him?

I think we were thinking, “Gee, let’s hire another dumbass newbie GM, roll the dice, and see what happens. After all, the GM isn’t really that important, so a club like the Wild who have never had a GM that ranked above farkin’ useless can afford to take a gamble.”

So we went with Feckless Fenton and shockingly, he did a swing and miss on his first R1 pick by taking Filip Johansson.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it went.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Hard to argue with his analysis, it really points out how this prospect cupboard is mostly only 2 years old…what a terrible miss Filip Johansson has been though…wtf were they thinking taking him?

I think we were thinking, “Gee, let’s hire another dumbass newbie GM, roll the dice, and see what happens. After all, the GM isn’t really that important, so a club like the Wild who have never had a GM that ranked above farkin’ useless can afford to take a gamble.”

So we went with Feckless Fenton and shockingly, he did a swing and miss on his first R1 pick by taking Filip Johansson.

Has it ever been said who’s pick Johansson was? Fenton was newly hired and said that Brent Flahr would be running the draft. Ultimately it falls on Fenton since he was the GM, but I’ve always wondered who had the idea to go off board with Johansson.

NHL teams hold European player’s rights for 4 years so the compensatory pick wouldn’t come until 2022. And that’s not likely to happen anyway because I’m pretty sure if they offer Johansson a contract he will sign it. The compensatory pick is for when players refuse to sign, not when the NHL team refuses to offer a contract to a draft bust.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So strange for a team that couldn’t score, with no known scoring prospects in their system at the time, took a stay at home defenseman, with no offensive history to build on, who every other NHL team had pegged for the 4th round or higher. The assistant GM who supposedly pushed for the pick then leaves the org a few months later…almost seems sinister…

CaptainMusky

So strange for a team that couldn’t score, with no known scoring prospects in their system at the time, took a stay at home defenseman, with no offensive history to build on, who every other NHL team had pegged for the 4th round or higher. The assistant GM who supposedly pushed for the pick then leaves the org a few months later…almost seems sinister…

Yeah, you definitely have to wonder. We already had decent D prospects in the system. I understand if there is a generational can’t miss guy there do it, but by all accounts it wasnt him.
    He seems to be coming along this year and being more aggressive. Perhaps he is just a late bloomer? Time will tell I guess, but as of now it doesnt look good. It looks less bad now, then it did at the time, but still not good. -)

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Has it ever been said who’s pick Johansson was? Fenton was newly hired and said that Brent Flahr would be running the draft. Ultimately it falls on Fenton since he was the GM, but I’ve always wondered who had the idea to go off board with Johansson.

NHL teams hold European player’s rights for 4 years so the compensatory pick wouldn’t come until 2022. And that’s not likely to happen anyway because I’m pretty sure if they offer Johansson a contract he will sign it. The compensatory pick is for when players refuse to sign, not when the NHL team refuses to offer a contract to a draft bust.

It was Fahr… I remember his interview after the pick and he said Johansson was his guy and pushed hard for him…Yes, it was ultimately Fenton’s call and surprising he’s goes that far off the board with his 1st round pick in his first draft?? He pre-scouted the draft for the Predators though, so he knew the players…My guess is maybe they saw Johansson as a Brodin clone? as I said, there’s some recent hope that he’s finally figured out his game, lets hope!

Attachments:
    1. wild.jpg

tswoboda

Is the guy circled Fahr? I don’t know him by name, but I remember his interview after the pick and he said Johansson was his guy and pushed hard for him…Yes, it was ultimately Fenton’s call and surprising he’s goes that far off the board with his 1st round pick in his first draft?? He pre-scouted the draft for the Predators though, so he knew the players…My guess is maybe they saw Johansson as a Brodin clone? talk about a swing and miss!

Lol yeah that is Brent Flahr, Chuck Fletcher’s right hand man who followed him Philly. I don’t remember seeing that interview but now it makes even more sense that it was a big F-U to the organization from Flahr after they fired his buddy Chuck and he knew he would be gone soon too. I mean if that was really his guy, that was his ONLY 1st round bust or off the board pick in his entire 10 years with the Wild. And it just so happened to be when he had 1 foot out the door.

I mean he even looks pissed off in that photo!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Is the guy circled Fahr? I don’t know him by name, but I remember his interview after the pick and he said Johansson was his guy and pushed hard for him…Yes, it was ultimately Fenton’s call and surprising he’s goes that far off the board with his 1st round pick in his first draft?? He pre-scouted the draft for the Predators though, so he knew the players…My guess is maybe they saw Johansson as a Brodin clone? talk about a swing and miss!

Lol yeah that is Brent Flahr, Chuck Fletcher’s right hand man who followed him Philly. I don’t remember seeing that interview but now it makes even more sense that it was a big F-U to the organization from Flahr after they fired his buddy Chuck and he knew he would be gone soon too. I mean if that was really his guy, that was his ONLY 1st round bust or off the board pick in his entire 10 years with the Wild. And it just so happened to be when he had 1 foot out the door.

I mean he even looks pissed off in that photo!

I want to say it was for a local TV station after there was an uproar from Wild fans that they didn’t take a skilled scorer…He said they loved his game, blah blah blah

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

But if you were going to sabotage a pick, would you overplay it THAT badly? Presumably, to throw a pick would have to be done to benefit some other team picking lower in R1. So why blow it THAT badly?

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple ignorance or cluelessness. Fenton must have been a tremendous bullsh!t artist to have gotten Craig to give him the job, because from Day 1 it was painfully clear that he had absolutely no business being GM.

A GM who needs to be propped up because he’s weak in the drafting space is as useless as t!ts on a boar. That’s like having a doctor who faints at the sight of blood.

I remember Russo’s comment on Fenton when on his first day on the job, the Wild’s PR people told Russo that he should not expect an interview with Fenton anytime soon because as GM, Fenton had made it clear he “wasn’t a media guy” and would not be doing many interviews or public appearances. Boy was that a preview of coming attractions.

CaptainMusky

But if you were going to sabotage a pick, would you overplay it THAT badly? Presumably, to throw a pick would have to be done to benefit some other team picking lower in R1. So why blow it THAT badly?

Who was drafting below the Wild that year? Philly? LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

I guess to their credit the 2018 NHL draft outside of the top 8 or so was a terrible draft and the guys that got selected after Johansson sofar haven’t done anything (only 5 guys in the next 2 rounds have played a game in the NHL, 2 of them played less than 25 games and the other 3 played less than 10 games)

K-Andre Miller was selected 2 picks ahead of us…sob!

(Calen Addison went 53rd overall that year)

So maybe we just take our medicine like the rest of the league that year…

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

First time watching Kirill for me last night. Watched period 1&2 and there’s no doubt he’s going to be a top 10 player. What I really liked was he is creative and seems to have good hockey instincts.

Same for me. I still haven’t figured out the FSN situation and I was in FL for the last month. I did get to watch some TB Lightning while down there.

Not a great game, overall, for the Wild last night but fun to watch KRill score and do believe this team is finally heading in the right direction anyway…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So the wild are in covid quarantine now?

Ripjiggen

I’m really not liking the lack of injury updates! It’s been how many days now and we still don’t know the extent of Dumba’s injury? Is it a sprain and he’s out a month or less? did he tear his MCL/ACL and is done for the next 8 months?

What about Johansson?

I don’t get why this hasn’t been released yet? You know they did all the tests 1-2 days after the injury…

Russo was on KFAN this morning and said Dumba avoided a really bad injury. He is going to miss some time but made mention it is not a season ending injury. So guessing it is a sprain of some sort vs any torn ligaments.
    He was worried about Spurg injury though and said he has not gotten an update yet.
    He didn’t say to much on Johansson except that it wasn’t anything major. He does have a history of concussions so maybe they are playing that one on the safe side.

Ripjiggen

Reading six players tested positive and possibly up to 12. NHL has a big problem on their hands there are several large outbreaks amongst teams. Making up games in a condensed season will almost be impossible.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

Reading six players tested positive and possibly up to 12. NHL has a big problem on their hands there are several large outbreaks amongst teams. Making up games in a condensed season will almost be impossible.

I’ve wondered about that too. I would think there is going to have to be some kind of plan to factor in games off due to COVID. I can’t see how more than a few games could be made up.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m sure the NHL thought of 50+ different scenarios for this season and how covid could effect it, my guess is that they havent crossed certain thresholds yet to start changing things…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hasn’t Dallas had games rescheduled. Tampa missed a few games at the beginning because they were supposed to be their opponent. I think they rescheduled for later in the season.

Ripjiggen

Bjugstad, Spurg, Ek, Johansson, Bonino, join Folingo in the protocol. Games canceled through Tuesday. A Colorado player also in protocol.

Viewing 30 posts - 691 through 720 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.