2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Lol yeah Wheeler stayed with Rossi’s billet family a few days to write an article on him.

I’ve loosely followed that prospects article but haven’t taken the time to figure out what players are exactly eligible in it. Like for the Rangers are Laf Miller and Shesterkin eligible? If not, I don’t see them top 5. LA has a loaded pipeline! Wild may crack top 5 with Rossi (wheeler loooves Rossi) and Boldy plus all their depth prospects like Beckman, Khovanov, etc.

I’ve read the same about this draft that there’s no obvious superstar top picks, but it’s relatively deep with top of the lineup players. And yeah lots of D projected in the first round.

here’s his rules:

To be eligible for inclusion, a skater must be:

Under 23 years old as of Jan. 1. We now know that by the time a player turns 23, he is largely done the steep upward progression we see in prospects and will begin to plateau.
    Not a full-time NHL player. This is the only arbitrary section of the criteria. Here, I trust my judgment for whether or not a rostered NHL player is still likely to bounce between levels more than any pre-determined games played cutoff. Preference for inclusion as an NHL prospect is more likely to be given to teenagers than 22-year-olds.
    Either signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights. Players who are signed to AHL contracts were not considered.

Ripjiggen

Rossi out for the year is a bummer but shouldn’t affect the rebuild at all unless it is long term thing. Would have been nice to see him this year in some capacity however.
    Dumba’s injury however could be real bad if he misses significant time as I think it will hurt his return on a potential trade. He is getting further away from his career year. Will be almost four years removed with 2 injury seasons mixed in.
    Rask might be the most skilled center they have and that is not a good thing.

tswoboda

Speaking of the draft, it’s going to be even more of a crap shoot than usual this year. Bad timing for the Wild to have 2 first round picks. Or maybe not, who knows?

There’s actually been some push to move the 2021 draft back to next winter or summer right before the 2022 draft. A good number of prospects aren’t playing at all, and the rest are playing shortened seasons and no international tournaments. Not to mention scouts can’t even go watch the games they do play.

CaptainMusky

Speaking of the draft, it’s going to be even more of a crap shoot than usual this year. Bad timing for the Wild to have 2 first round picks. Or maybe not, who knows?

There’s actually been some push to move the 2021 draft back to next winter or summer right before the 2022 draft. A good number of prospects aren’t playing at all, and the rest are playing shortened seasons and no international tournaments. Not to mention scouts can’t even go watch the games they do play.

Excellent point! It will be a roll of the dice for sure. I mean how many times do guys jump up or plummet down the board based on their season’s performance? Now its going to be basing so much on year old film or the few guys who are actually playing.
    I did look at a few prospect rankings and as you guys have said LOTS of center and D.

JoeMX1825
    MN

at least its the same for all teams, I think there will obviously be more misses than hits typically in the draft, but I think that makes picking in the top 3-10 really doesn’t make much difference than picking 10-20 this year…so that helps the Wild a bit as we’re most likely not going to be picking in the top 10 for either of our 1st round choices…and again if Phoenix is ahead of us, we’re basically getting a 1 draft slot lower pick…it also puts added weight on your 2nd and 3rd round picks as those players available COULD possibly have been a 1st round pick in a normal draft year with more scouting, but slipped due to not being seen enough…I think BillyG’s hope to to get maybe a 2nd or several 3rd & 4th round picks at the deadline for our UFA’s…I think Bonino could possibly get a 2nd round pick to a team desperate enough for a center & penalty killer with top faceoff %. Those types of guys are invaluable in the playoffs…

I don’t see how they could push the draft out another year, there would be tons of NHLPA ramifications of players not getting proper slotting bonuses, potential injuries in an extended offseason, cap ramifications of having basically 2 years worth of rookies to sign, etc, etc…

tswoboda

I don’t see how they could push the draft out another year, there would be tons of NHLPA ramifications of players not getting proper slotting bonuses, potential injuries in an extended offseason, cap ramifications of having basically 2 years worth of rookies to sign, etc, etc…

I think you’re blowing this part out of proportion. There’s maybe 5 players from each draft that play in the NHL the season after being drafted. And those players have not done well in recent years so I don’t see a problem making them wait an extra year. Also the NHLPA generally doesn’t go to bat for players that aren’t yet part of the union.

I’m not saying they should move the draft back and I really don’t think they will, just that it’s something the league will be looking at. People keep saying “every team is in the same boat” but that’s just not true. Teams like Detroit are in the middle of a rebuild and have accrued 10 picks so this draft will make a huge difference in their future (Spoiler alert, Stevie Y is pushing for it to be postponed). On the other side the Penguins have basically no picks so it’s basically a throw away draft for them regardless. Do they even have an amateur scouting department anymore?

So yes there’s more luck involved for every team this year, but that makes a much bigger impact on the rebuilding teams than it does the contenders. And guess who Bettman loves to take care of, the bottom feeders – in the name of PARITY!

Selfishly for the Wild’s sake, I hope they move it back. Judd Bracket has a good track record recently so with 2 first rounders I want him to have the best opportunity to make the right pick. I think teams with high/lots of picks and good scouting departments will be the ones pushing to postpone the draft. I don’t think it will happen though.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Good Russo article in The Athletic, a detailed interview with Rossi’s agent regarding his condition and decision to return to Austria.

They don’t come out with the exact condition, but with the information given, it’s obviously a post-COVID cardiac condition that was discovered by the Wild during pre-practice/season screening.

From the article, the good news was this does not appear to be a career-threatening condition. It sounds like there is no real or safe option for speeding up recovery, so the bottom line is he’s out for the season but there is every expectation of a full recovery.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think BillyG’s hope to to get maybe a 2nd or several 3rd & 4th round picks at the deadline for our UFA’s…

I would like to see us stack up some 2022 picks as part of any UFA trade deals.

With 21 not expected to be a particularly rich draft year, I’d say we have enough picks already and the benefit of trades would be better reaped by getting picks in future years. We won’t be getting roster ready players most likely in R2 or R3-4 anyway.

JoeMX1825
    MN

by it being the same for all teams, I meant that all teams will have the same level of limited access & information to evaluate players from…Yes, this and the next draft are obviously more important to some teams than others…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would like to see us stack up some 2022 picks as part of any UFA trade deals.

With 21 not expected to be a particularly rich draft year, I’d say we have enough picks already and the benefit of trades would be better reaped by getting picks in future years. We won’t be getting roster ready players most likely in R2 or R3-4 anyway.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I think every team is thinking that as well, so you’ll see the 2022 picks viewed as much more valuable… The positive is that some teams near this years deadline that maybe are playing better than they thought they would be or don’t have any injury issues to deal with might overspend with their 2021 picks to make their best shot at this years cup.

CaptainMusky

Unfortunately I think every team is thinking that as well, so you’ll see the 2022 picks viewed as much more valuable… The positive is that some teams near this years deadline that maybe are playing better than they thought they would be or don’t have any injury issues to deal with might overspend with their 2021 picks to make their best shot at this years cup.

It will be interesting to see if there are trades done earlier than normal due to isolation scenarios required should teams try to deal across the border. Otherwise its going to be limited to within their borders I think which severely limits the canadian teams. Laine is going to play tonight for CBJ, but I dont think Dubois will be able to play for several more days. Its a 14 day isolation so he has a long ways to go yet.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

It will be interesting to see if there are trades done earlier than normal due to isolation scenarios required should teams try to deal across the border. Otherwise its going to be limited to within their borders I think which severely limits the canadian teams. Laine is going to play tonight for CBJ, but I dont think Dubois will be able to play for several more days. Its a 14 day isolation so he has a long ways to go yet.

great point!

tswoboda

Lebrun interviewed the Canadian GMs about that after the PLD trade. They are all lobbying the Canadian govt. to drop the quarantine to 7 days for traded players and hoping that happens before the deadline. I think some of the provinces already allow a 7 day quarantine but the federal govt is mandating the 14 days. If that doesn’t get changed expect to see international trades starting mid to late March. The other thing noted was that Ottawa will have a big advantage as the only obvious seller in the Canadian division.

Sam Bennett requested a trade out of Calgary and I can’t imagine the price is super high. Could he be had for cheap right now? He’s not great but would be an upgrade from Victor Rask. Salary would have to go the other way to make it work.

CaptainMusky

FSN is airing the replay of the last Wild/Avs game right now and since I am still WFH its on in the background. That second goal that Rask had, what a shift by Kaprisov. Good Lord! He had at least 3 setup plays that could have easily resulted in goals on the shift, not counting the blistering slapshot he took or the lucky bounce that resulted in Rask’s goal. Man is he fun to watch.

JoeMX1825
    MN

FSN is airing the replay of the last Wild/Avs game right now and since I am still WFH its on in the background. That second goal that Rask had, what a shift by Kaprisov. Good Lord! He had at least 3 setup plays that could have easily resulted in goals on the shift, not counting the blistering slapshot he took or the lucky bounce that resulted in Rask’s goal. Man is he fun to watch.

I’ve watched a ton of his games/highlights the past 5 years in the KHL and he was never this much of a passer/play creator as he’s been to this point with the Wild. Not sure if that’s because he’s not playing with a true puck dispenser yet (Johansson is probably the closest thing sofar) but he seems to be doing what’s needed to get offense generated when he’s on the ice and with who he’s been playing with, that has meant to dish more… I also think some of that is being on a new team and getting comfortable, but i’m guessing we’ll start to see him shoot alot more than he has been.

I’m excited to see what team shows up tonight…

CaptainMusky

I also think some of that is being on a new team and getting comfortable, but i’m guessing we’ll start to see him shoot alot more than he has been.

I think its more this, being new to the team, new league, younger than all of his teammates. I think he is just trying to not rock the boat, but he does need to shoot more and Evason has commented that they have been talking to him about that. Shoot more, but don’t ruin your play making. The opposition pays so much attention to him that someone is going to have a slam dunk type play at some point.

Wild have some guys out, but Avs have 5!
    Mayhew apparently is on the line with KK. Talbot is getting the start. I thought he looked pretty good last game. First goal was a bit of a bummer, but made a few big saves that we all know in the past would not have been made by Dubnyk.
    I think Kaapo and Talbot have been very good thus far. Kaapo has changed his glove hand position a bit and hasnt shown as much of a problem in the last few games.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I also think some of that is being on a new team and getting comfortable, but i’m guessing we’ll start to see him shoot alot more than he has been.

I think its more this, being new to the team, new league, younger than all of his teammates. I think he is just trying to not rock the boat, but he does need to shoot more and Evason has commented that they have been talking to him about that. Shoot more, but don’t ruin your play making. The opposition pays so much attention to him that someone is going to have a slam dunk type play at some point.

Wild have some guys out, but Avs have 5!
    Mayhew apparently is on the line with KK. Talbot is getting the start. I thought he looked pretty good last game. First goal was a bit of a bummer, but made a few big saves that we all know in the past would not have been made by Dubnyk.
    I think Kaapo and Talbot have been very good thus far. Kaapo has changed his glove hand position a bit and hasnt shown as much of a problem in the last few games.

They have made some huge saves so far this season and have kept them in games. Problem is they still both let in the same squeaker per game Dubnyk always let in. Although the last couple years it was more than one.

Hopefully it’s just a little rust. Both look fairly calm in the crease.

tswoboda

They have made some huge saves so far this season and have kept them in games. Problem is they still both let in the same squeaker per game Dubnyk always let in. Although the last couple years it was more than one.

Hopefully it’s just a little rust. Both look fairly calm in the crease.

Goaltending has been a big improvement this year. The goalies aren’t winning games, but they’re not losing them either. Goaltending issues is what kept the Wild out of comfortable wild card spot the last 2 years.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well, we got the bad goal out of the way early tonight. Hopefully Talbot is solid the rest of the game. doah

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

More ridiculous moves by Makar tonight. He sent Hartman reeling with a broken ankle

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Anyone else notice Krill skating circles likes he’s lost tonight? I don’t understand the line he’s on..I’m sure he’s not happy 3rd line already.

Whole team has looked like that most of the night.

Ripjiggen

Missed what happened to Spurg?

JoeMX1825
    MN

he looked gimpy all game, didnt come out for the 3rd

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

he looked gimpy all game, didnt come out for the 3rd

Went into the boards with an Avs player late in the second, came out of it holding his arm or guarding his torso. Finished the period but I don’t think he came out for the third.

Russo had a tweet after the game that sums up the Wild in a nutshell over the last few seasons saying, in the last 7+ minutes the Wild had 2 shots on goal. And they had the puck the ENTIRE time. And missed like 3 wide open nets.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

First time watching Kirill for me last night. Watched period 1&2 and there’s no doubt he’s going to be a top 10 player. What I really liked was he is creative and seems to have good hockey instincts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This power play is a joke

That’s because it was very reliant on Dumba as powerful right handed shot and right now he is not out there. They don’t have a replacement either

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brady Valberg wrote:</div>
    This power play is a joke

That’s because it was very reliant on Dumba as powerful right handed shot and right now he is not out there. They don’t have a replacement either

The powerplay was a joke the first 5-6 games we had Dumba too… They don’t have a plan when they are out there, as soon as the defenders take away something, they don’t know how to react and exploit it… I still think they have players in the wrong spots, Kaprizov is a complete waste as the bumper slot in the middle. The 1st unit has more than enough talent to be successful, they just need a plan and more practice together…lastly I think the biggest factor to their lack of PP success is the time the puck stays on their sticks, next game watch how little time the puck stays on Kaprizov’s stick vs everyone else, quick passes result in the defenders not having time to get setup and opens passing and shooting lanes. It’s so obvious out there it’s painful to watch…Suter is the biggest offenders of this, he holds the puck way to long on the PP…

CaptainMusky

We dont have many players that are equipped to react to Kaprisov’s quick passes. They aren’t used to it. They aren’t expecting a pass and it catches them off guard the majority of the time. I think this will come, still a young season, but they move the puck around, but as Joe says you cannot just skate around the zone with the puck on the PP you have to make quick passes to force lateral movement not let them set up in great position all time.
    It’s not helping all the guys in and out of the lineup, but I think the 3 taxi squad guys have had a couple of nice games. Rau gets in a dustup last night as he and one other Wild forward tag teamed Makar in the corner and some Av player comes to his defense giving the inept Wild a PP which I think was the one they actually scored on.
    Kaprisov is the kind of player that makes the rest of his linemates better. We havent had many of them. By contrast Fiala is more of the type who creates his own offense. I am beginning to rethink whether these two would be good for each other on the same line. I mean, look what he’s done for Rask and even Johansson. Arent both of Johansson’s goal a result of Kaprisov? Majority of Rasks are. Fiala needs the puck on his stick, but Kaprisov seems to thrive by getting rid of it and then getting back into a scoring position. I think we can finally say we have two dynamic forwards for a change.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Not a terrible effort last night with all the newbies in and no Fiala, Dumba, or Spurg for 33% of the game.

And a power-play goal. Just when we thought it would never happen again.

Suter hit the post with about 1 minute to go, and the Wild had misses on empty net halves at least twice, so they can’t say there was no chance to tie or win this. Also, continuing from years past, we missed the net on shot after shot after shot last night. I’m not talking high quality chances, but when you constantly sail the puck high and wide, you get zero chances at those pinball garbage goals.

Basically, with the gaps the Wild have, are they reliably going to play with a team like Colorado for a 7 game series? No. Are they good enough to be a real pain in Colorado’s arse? Absolutely. Are they entertaining? Absolutely. The Thrill alone is worth the price of admission.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 661 through 690 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.