2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I wasn’t expecting the wild to blow them out but certainly thought it would be closer. Man, this stretch of 4 games is going to be tough. If they win one I will be happy.
    At least they are pulling out the reverse retros for my birthday lol

Happy Birthday!

CaptainMusky

Thanks man! Not only did we get blown out last night but suffered lots of injuries. Dumba looks to be out a while, I didn’t see what happened to Johannson. Sturm nicked up and what was evasons thinking of going short of forwards? Then we drop a couple forwards? Odd thinking.
    Not good news about Rossi. Really perplexing how he could have been cleared to play by Austria? Reports said he was really laboring and tired. Hopefully he didn’t do any further damage.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Looks like they responded pretty well. Only saw the last ten minutes of the game but sure sounded like they upped their level last night, even with 4 key players out.

That Dumba injury looked bad, like a knee bad. Hoping it’s just an ankle but I don’t know. Also, saw they mentioned Rossi was going to be out the entire season due to Covid.?.?.? This is all so strange. Unless Covid really messed up his organs (which is possible) or while he had covid, they found some other medical issue, OR he got covid (still having symptoms from the report) and decided to opt out.

Strange all the secrecy either way.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Looks like they responded pretty well. Only saw the last ten minutes of the game but sure sounded like they upped their level last night, even with 4 key players out.

That Dumba injury looked bad, like a knee bad. Hoping it’s just an ankle but I don’t know. Also, saw they mentioned Rossi was going to be out the entire season due to Covid.?.?.? This is all so strange. Unless Covid really messed up his organs (which is possible) or while he had covid, they found some other medical issue, OR he got covid (still having symptoms from the report) and decided to opt out.

Strange all the secrecy either way.

Rossi likely has Myocarditis, which is a known side-effect of having covid for some unlucky folks…it enlarges the heart muscle and requires months of rest to allow the scaring to heal and then slowly ramping up exercise to build up the muscle strength back to normal. If left untreated it can do permanent damage to the heart, so it’s something to take very seriously, hence why he flew home to rest and won’t play at all this season.

The Wild did play better last night, but lets not forget the Avs missed a few open nets and Talbot made an impossible save on MacKinnon, so the outcome could have easily been different. The next few games will tell the story of where this team can go moving forward with who they have healthy on this team, for this season…

I expect Dumba’s diagnosis comes out today, they typically wait 1-2 days for knee injuries to let the swelling go down for better MRI imaging…I just don’t see how he didn’t tear his MCL but let’s hope for the best!

CaptainMusky

I expect Dumba’s diagnosis comes out today, they typically wait 1-2 days for knee injuries to let the swelling go down for better MRI imaging…I just don’t see how he didn’t tear his MCL but let’s hope for the best!

The way he went down he could have very easily injured BOTH knees. Did not look good at all.
    The highlight of last night’s win was Brodin dropping the F bomb on live TV in his postgame. LOL

Doug M
    SE SD

The highlight of last night’s win was Brodin dropping the F bomb on live TV in his postgame. LOL

This was good. What I don’t get was before they went to the interview, they said Kevin Gorg caught up with him a couple of minutes ago. Must not have had enough time to beep that out. I had to rewind it and laugh again.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

This was good. What I don’t get was before they went to the interview, they said Kevin Gorg caught up with him a couple of minutes ago. Must not have had enough time to beep that out. I had to rewind it and laugh again.

Yeah, that’s a head scratcher for sure. I love how he immediately apologized. LOL

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah definitely looked like a knee. Avs also had 5 of their starters out also and definitely were slower than the previous night.

I agree with the myocarditis angle. I think we were talking about that a couple weeks ago. The time frame definitely seems to fit. Looking forward to the next two games. If anything, the Wild have seen that they need to bring their game to another level to be taken seriously. Hopefully they can do that.

Also, the young kids played fairly well last night which was nice to see. I’d love to see Mayhew stick one of these days.

CaptainMusky

Also, the young kids played fairly well last night which was nice to see. I’d love to see Mayhew stick one of these days.

Agreed and where in the world did this Victor Rask come from? 2 goals last night? IDK, but I will take it. Whatever little he can produce great.
    I didnt realize the Avs had so many players out. I knew Johnson was out after the punishing check by Greenway and McKinnon left the game, but I never saw what happened. I guess its good we have them 2 more games now if some guys on their side are dinged up. We may have a chance of eeking out a few more points in this series.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rask’s improvement is 90% playing with Kaprizov and 10% positioning/being in the right place at the right time while playing with them…

Kaprizov and Fiala are the types of players who make the players they play with better, because they take most of the focus of the defenders, and because they can put the puck on their linemates stick in the scoring zones…it’s just like how you can plug ANY player on Crosb’s line and he’ll make them look like an all-star.

We’ve never really had that before…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think pretty much all the Great Hockey Minds (GHMs) on IDO correctly predicted that Victor Rask would turn into a Pure Goal Scorer this year if we just got him on a line with Kaprisov. woot rotflol yay

Hey, we’ll take them wherever we can get them. In fairness, Rask does look much better this year. And Greenway. Gets a goal and dishes for the win in OT.

Speaking of OT, what has gotten into the Wild in OT? Since the beginning of 3-3 OT, have they EVER won 3 OTs in a row?

And for cripes sake, figure out how to stay out of the box! It’s not just against the Avs, we gave the Kings plenty of chances as well. Way to many hooking and holding peanalties and none of them were “stop a goal” types. Need to stop giving up so many PP or we’re going to be in trouble with teams like the Avs.

Sure they got some puck luck, CO missed some open nets, etc, but then again Kaprisov hit a post and Spurgeon missed the top by 5/8 of an inch on a screen that the Colorado goaltender never saw until it hit the glass behind him, so it wasn’t all Wild good luck, the Avs had plenty of luck keeping them in that game as well.

So Foligno tested positive for the COVE, Dumba has a knee injury, and Johannson it sounds like has something minor and will probably play in the next game. Here’s hoping Foligno’s test was a false positive, I guess they do confirmaory tests at 1 day intervals.

And Brodin dropping the F bomb in the interview was pretty funny, I had to rewind to hear if he really said that.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

Our recent 3-3 OT play is a combination of now having players with skill we can put out there and actually having a STRATEGY now… The 18 seconds of OT last night looked like a perfectly drawn up play on a whiteboard, there’s was weaving in/out from all 3 players that caused defensive confusion and opened up Brodin’s shooting lane in the high slot, my guess is that it was EXACTLY drawn up that way and they perfectly executed it. I was actually hoping the OT went on longer, it’s so fun to watch Kaprizov use his full tool box with all that open ice to work with…Fiala/Kaprizov/Brodin/Spurgeon are perfect for 3-3 because they are all great shifty skaters and think the same game, I got a little worried when Greenway and Ek started, but they proved they can handle it, they might be a great change of pace grouping to use …

I just don’t see much difference in Rask’s game this year…I’ve been watching him closely during his shifts and he’s still weak on the puck, loses most board battles and isn’t generating anything for his wingers…his goals last night (a completely free back side defensive breakdown that was almost saved and a loose puck in the slot) He’s in these positions because he was promoted to play with top players due to circumstances.

Dumba’s expected long-term injury will force BillyG’s hand now for expansion draft and how many D we protect, based upon their early play sofar there’s ZERO chance we expose Ek or Greenway…so that likely means Foligno will get picked…but at our current injury rate, the expansion draft logic is still a ways away…

Speaking about Greenway, my gosh what a 180* change in his game from last year, dude is just a BEAST out there!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I forgot to mention again that Cale Makar is a generation talent! No surprise right! I don’t see how he doesn’t use Thomas Chabot’s contract in Ottawa as a starting point and gets an 8 year deal for $9+ per…if you try to get him on a 3 year bridge deal the price tag will likely be alot more afterwards as the COVID financial impact is hopefully passed…hopefully

CaptainMusky

I havent seen it confirmed that Foligno tested positive for Covid, just that he was in the Covid protocol. He may have it, but it could also be a tracing thing like one of his family members tested positive or something too.
    Bjugstad gets a $5000 fine for cross checking, which I dont even remember that play, but Doughty gets nothing for this?:

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t believe the league ever announces if somebody HAS covid, they just put them in the generalized “Covid Protocol” I guess this protects some privacy for the player? I don’t get it, everybody is dealing with covid, might as well put everyone on earth in the “Covid Protocol”

I agree, there needs to be something changed with the cross-checks to the back rules… I think eliminating it along the boards is a good compromise vs eliminating it everywhere, in front of the net it has it’s legitimate uses (just don’t go extreme with it or it should be a penalty)

The Kaprizov clip above is a bit out of context as he squats down a bit resulting in the cross-check shot being on his lower back area vs his waist if he didn’t squat…but from behind like that near the boards is dangerous, it’s not much different that the hit Fiala did except the guy fell forward into the boards vs Kaprizov having his weight loaded more backwards absorbing most of the impact.

tswoboda

I forgot to mention again that Cale Makar is a generation talent! No surprise right! I don’t see how he doesn’t use Thomas Chabot’s contract in Ottawa as a starting point and gets an 8 year deal for $9+ per…if you try to get him on a 3 year bridge deal the price tag will likely be alot more afterwards as the COVID financial impact is hopefully passed…hopefully

Makar is like a young Erik Karlsson that actually plays defense. His skating is just unreal, how many penalties did he draw last night? Drove me nuts how the Wild players kept reaching on him and he’d just throw his arms in the air (embellishment) and draw a hook or hold every time.

Rantanen is a such an underrated (other than his contract) player for the Avs. So big and so skilled, way better player than Landeskog IMO.

The difference in Rask this year is that Staal isn’t on the team and that makes him literally the most skilled (hands, shot, offense IQ – NOT skating, physical play, or compete) center on the team. How sad is that?

Hopefully this is the new $6m Brodin… Bigger role, more offense, and live TV F-bombs. His defense is still outstanding. He didn’t get credited an assist for the Greenway goal but he started that whole play by stopping a COL odd man rush and sending it right back the other way. He did the same thing on the Eriksson Ek goal against the Kings.

How many times did we hear “If Greenway learns to use his size” over the last 2 years? Well it looks like his motor has finally caught up to his body this year. He looks so much stronger than everyone else out there and just rag dolls guys consistently.

No talk about Al Stalock’s mysterious injury status… is he dealing with something similar to Rossi?

My guess on the Dumba injury is high ankle sprain.

CaptainMusky

I stand corrected. Russo’s post game article he says that Foligno did indeed test positive for Covid. Drats. Its certainly possible it was a false positive, but we will see.

tswoboda

I havent seen it confirmed that Foligno tested positive for Covid, just that he was in the Covid protocol. He may have it, but it could also be a tracing thing like one of his family members tested positive or something too.
    Bjugstad gets a $5000 fine for cross checking, which I dont even remember that play, but Doughty gets nothing for this?:

I read the NHL is NOT using rapid tests this season… which means it’s a lot less likely to be a false positive.

Bjug’s crosscheck was straight to the teeth, right in the face and dropped him. Also doesn’t help that he was the forward in front of the net trying to score. D can maul forwards in front of the net but the forwards can’t touch the D. Not saying any of that makes sense, but that’s just the way it is.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I stand corrected. Russo’s post game article he says that Foligno did indeed test positive for Covid. Drats. Its certainly possible it was a false positive, but we will see.

Yes, that’s where I read it.

We’ll see if he posts an update, from the Russo article it looks like they retest in 24 hours to confirm. I don’t have much hope it’s a false being they are not using the rapid tests.

Grouse

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I forgot to mention again that Cale Makar is a generation talent!

Ya he is. He was a difference maker when he was at UMass too.

That move he put on Greenway right before he scored was ridiculous.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I forgot to mention again that Cale Makar is a generation talent!

Ya he is. He was a difference maker when he was at UMass too.

That move he put on Greenway right before he scored was ridiculous.

The Avs have some crazy good young D men. That Byrum is legit too. Not to the level of Makar but he is going to be a star too I am sure.

CaptainMusky

Any of you guys who have subscriptions to TheAthletic follow Scott Wheeler? If you dont, you should. He is VERY good regarding prospect analysis being his main focus and he is running a piece now on the NHL rankings of their prospect pools. He released the bottom 15 all at once, and since releases one more team per day. He did #10 today and the Wild havent been ranked yet.
    If you follow his work you will probably recall he was the one who had Rossi living with him for a while a few years ago and is VERY high on him. Will be interesting to see where the Wild fall and what he has to say about them. I really respect his work. He did a lot of nice stuff around the World Junior Championships.

tswoboda

Byram didn’t impress me in the 2 game series. Yes he’s 20 but he looked a step behind and his skating and skill didn’t pop. I’m sure he’ll be a good player for them eventually, just saying he’s not the level of recent young D like Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, Dahlin, etc. Just my opinion on watching 2 games plus some world juniors.

Rossi didn’t live with Scott Wheeler. Not sure where that came from??

CaptainMusky

Rossi didn’t live with Scott Wheeler. Not sure where that came from??

Yes he did, it was a temporary thing, but he did indeed stay with him, but it was when he was doing a feature on being a Billet, etc.

I had it kind of worded wrong, it was Wheeler staying with the family Rossi lived with. -)

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wheeler’s rankings are pretty decent, I do follow that ongoing article. My bet is that the Wild will rank #4 or #5, I think top 3 will be #1 Rangers, #2 Kings, #3 Senators

CaptainMusky

Wheeler’s rankings are pretty decent, I do follow that ongoing article. My bet is that the Wild will rank #4 or #5, I think top 3 will be #1 Rangers, #2 Kings, #3 Senators

I would agree with this. Just think back at how bad our prospect pool was just a couple years ago and where they are now? Pretty crazy. If things stand for the upcoming draft with the Wild having two 1st round picks, they could go up, but I have heard this draft class isnt strong so that is a bummer. As it appears now, the Penguins arent going to fall off the planet this year so the hopes of a Lottery type pick from there are fading away, but 2 firsts is nothing to sneeze at.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The 1st round of this draft is loaded with defense and centers, but no elite prospects besides Owen Power who’s the likely #1 pick. Matt Beniers would be a nice get (he played Center with Boldy and Caufield at the WJC) We’ll at least have the opportunity to potentially draft a future #2 center (I don’t see any potential #1 centers in this draft besides MAYBE Beniers) at least we’ll get more center depth in the org…

Phoenix forfeiting their pick means if you draft AFTER them, you’re actually getting a 1 better pick )

tswoboda

Lol yeah Wheeler stayed with Rossi’s billet family a few days to write an article on him.

I’ve loosely followed that prospects article but haven’t taken the time to figure out what players are exactly eligible in it. Like for the Rangers are Laf Miller and Shesterkin eligible? If not, I don’t see them top 5. LA has a loaded pipeline! Wild may crack top 5 with Rossi (wheeler loooves Rossi) and Boldy plus all their depth prospects like Beckman, Khovanov, etc.

I’ve read the same about this draft that there’s no obvious superstar top picks, but it’s relatively deep with top of the lineup players. And yeah lots of D projected in the first round.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve yet to watch an Avs game that goes to OT, but I can imagine that Makar is pretty much unstoppable out there…

My cousin (big Avs fan) made it sound like the Avs were as woeful as the Wild have been in overtime the last couple years which with as much speed and skill as they have I found hard to believe. Then while I was texting my disbelief to him, the Wild scored in OT. rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.