2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• tswoboda

Ek’s goals are hopefully a sign of him figuring out who he is in the NHL. He’s using his strength to get himself and pucks to the net and just hammering away.

Kaprizov has not been the player I expected at all… I was expecting a pure finisher who just scored goals and not much else. Joe is dead on with the ODR analogy, seems like he has the puck on his stick twice as much as any other forward in the game. His ability to create time and space for himself has been very impressive. He’s certainly not fast, but his edge work looks elite and the fact that scouts were saying his skating could hold him back in the NHL is laughable.

Something not said yet is how good Greenway looked again last night. He’s playing every shift with tenacity and grit. He’s forechecking like Ericksson Ek but with more speed, size, and reach he is an absolute menace on opposing defensemen. He has a heavy heavy wrist shot too so hopefully he can turn that into some goals this year. Really glad Kunin and Donato were traded instead of Greenway, and I would not have said that last summer.

I really hope I have to eat crow on Johansson.

CaptainMusky

Greenway has been so good so far. I dont think he and Foligno suffered by not having Ek between them either so that was a good thing. It has me second guessing whether they will reunite them against the Avs to shutdown McKinnon. I mean Sturm certainly doesnt look out of place at all.
    I cant get over how Ek is tied for 3rd in the League in goals. Never would have seen that coming, but like has been said, being in the right place pays dividends which he had been in the past, but couldnt finish consistently.

JoeMX1825
    MN

great point about his edgework, it’s absolutely elite…Crosby like even (yeah i’ll go there on this point) He has mastered the “Ulf Dahlen” technique and he even did it with his back to a defenseman on his between the legs shot the other night, I never saw Dahlen do it that way?!?

I read those same reports you did about his skating stride holding him back…I don’t see that at all, he doesn’t have the straight line speed like McDavid but he has a great top speed with the puck and is extremely shifty..

Just think of what he’ll be doing after another 10 games once he gets more comfortable in his role on the team as a scoring leader with Fiala, those two guys will be pushing each other to be better every game…they are definitely foundation pieces to build around!

Ripjiggen

That was their best game of the season IMO. We are sure going to see a lot of nastiness this year playing the same teams over and over again. The Kings will be watching for every chance to get Fiala whether he intended that or not. I dont understand the fight right off the bat. Always perplexes me, but the team was energized early and the typical second period is a bit of a letdown again. Need to figure that out.

Normally I am with you on a fight to start a game especially at home. With no fans though it has to be a bit harder to get that blood pumping for both sides. If they come out skating like they did Folingo should start every game with a fight. lol

Agree KK is not winning a drag race from goal line to goal line but his speed is more than enough in the NHL.
    I am more impressed with his quickness in and out of turns especially along the boards when he can escape from bigger dmen. His first and second stride gets separation just about every time. He doesn’t need much room to be dangerous. His knack for finding open areas and his vision are already elite. He truly looks like he is having a blast out there and the team seams to really embrace the kid.
    He could probably head out to the intros of the high school hockey tournament and still look like one of the younger players.

Ripjiggen

Side note on PLD.
    Seams like Torts can’t shut his mouth about the trade. Don’t know how Columbus gets any great FA to sign and play for him in the future. Not saying PLD didn’t have a lot to do with this by any means but I don’t see Laine singing with them after the season.

tswoboda

If anyone is wondering why I can’t stand Doughty… here’s his quote after last nights game:

“I thought tonight I dominated the game,” he said. “Thought I was really, really good tonight. I don’t think I can play much better than that.”

JoeMX1825
    MN

to be fair, was he asked how he felt about his game or how it was progressing this season? Just wanting to verify the context because its different if somebody asked him about the teams play and that was his answer, then yes, that’s a d-bag for ya…

from the few clips online showing mic’d up players, he does seem to talk alot of trash out there and while I think his game has dropped a bit in the last year as he’s appeared to add a few lbs…or so, he’s still an all-star level player with a game similar to Suter in that its mostly about positioning and you don’t really notice him too much…

CaptainMusky

Well, Rossi is going back to Austria and will return in 6 weeks. No further details provided. At least there is a time table, but the uncertainty around what the issue is still unnerving.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    That was their best game of the season IMO. We are sure going to see a lot of nastiness this year playing the same teams over and over again. The Kings will be watching for every chance to get Fiala whether he intended that or not. I dont understand the fight right off the bat. Always perplexes me, but the team was energized early and the typical second period is a bit of a letdown again. Need to figure that out.

Normally I am with you on a fight to start a game especially at home. With no fans though it has to be a bit harder to get that blood pumping for both sides. If they come out skating like they did Folingo should start every game with a fight. lol

Agree KK is not winning a drag race from goal line to goal line but his speed is more than enough in the NHL.
    I am more impressed with his quickness in and out of turns especially along the boards when he can escape from bigger dmen. His first and second stride gets separation just about every time. He doesn’t need much room to be dangerous. His knack for finding open areas and his vision are already elite. He truly looks like he is having a blast out there and the team seams to really embrace the kid.
    He could probably head out to the intros of the high school hockey tournament and still look like one of the younger players.

-)
    I think what caught a lot of people off guard with KK finally coming over is thinking being a “rookie” its going to take a long time to find his game. Too easy to forget hes actually 23 and has been playing professional hockey for what 5 years? yeah, its not the NHL, but its the second best professional league in the World I would say.
    His strength on his skates and warding off defenders when he has the puck has always really impressed me. There are so many KHL highlights of this but its so much more obvious seeing an entire game of his shifts to just see how good his skating really is.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rossi flew back to Austria…will come back to MN in 6 weeks…

My guess is that he can ride a stationary bike to build up his heart muscle condition just as well at home with his family vs alone in a hotel room in MN….

CaptainMusky

My guess is that he can ride a stationary bike to build up his heart muscle condition just as well at home with his family vs alone in a hotel room in MN….

Is there an echo in here? LOL
    I think this doesnt necessarily mean anything serious. Agreed, this will allow him to at least do some conditioning, but one would think that he could have done those things at Tria or the Wild training facility as well. Still confused.
    I believe he was living with Thomas Vanek and his family. At least initially he was I am pretty sure.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Is there an echo in here? LOL
    I think this doesnt necessarily mean anything serious. Agreed, this will allow him to at least do some conditioning, but one would think that he could have done those things at Tria or the Wild training facility as well. Still confused.
    I believe he was living with Thomas Vanek and his family. At least initially he was I am pretty sure.

Ha! I didn’t see you posted that already, my laptop didn’t update the thread…all good!

CaptainMusky

Ha! I didn’t see you posted that already, my laptop didn’t update the thread…all good!

No, I had a good laugh. The great thing is there are so many folks posting that step away for a while and there is a lot to wade through. Fun times and awesome contributors.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’d bet my boat he has Myocarditis, so rehab is a slow process of ramping up your conditioning level to build back the strength of the heart muscle. My guess is the Wild told him to go home and get some stress free rest with his family and start riding a stationary bike or going for walks/lite jogging, then come back to MN in 6 weeks and start the more intense part of the rehab with the team trainers at Tria.

What boggles me is why it needs to be kept so secret? EVERYBODY knows he had covid, the entire world is dealing with it, Myocarditis is a well known side effect. Turn this into a positive – it would be a good awareness campaign to let people know even young world class conditioned athletes can be effected by Covid and the things you should watch out for with young athletes who tested positive and maybe are suffering from it, but don’t know it and are doing un-necessary damage to their heart and risking their lives.

or

After losing in the WJC and flying to MN He broke out of his 7 day hotel quarantine and got bombed and went streaking in downtown St Paul to the X…Wild PR cleaned up the local media stories from being released and he flew back to Austria to check-in to a rehab clinic there…

See, if it was something out of his control, then just tell us to avoid the crazy outlandish scenarios we can think of…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sean Walker getting home after the road trip…

tswoboda

Man, I hope his eye is ok and not too many broken bones.

Had one of my best buds on bed rest for a week after taking a puck to the eye in men’s league. I walked into the ER to pick him up after the game expecting a few stitches only to hear the ophthalmologist telling him his “minor injuries” were broken nose and orbital bone, concussion, and stitches. Went on to say if his heart rate went over 80 bpm in the next week, he could go permanently blind in that eye. He does have minor permanent damage to that eye and just a super scary deal. I’ve worn a full cage in men’s league ever since then and just cringe when I see pucks to the face.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Had one of my best buds on bed rest for a week after taking a puck to the eye in men’s league. I walked into the ER to pick him up after the game expecting a few stitches only to hear the ophthalmologist telling him his “minor injuries” were broken nose and orbital bone, concussion, and stitches. Went on to say if his heart rate went over 80 bpm in the next week, he could go permanently blind in that eye. He does have minor permanent damage to that eye and just a super scary deal. I’ve worn a full cage in men’s league ever since then and just cringe when I see pucks to the face.

I still wear a full birdcage too, seen too many lost teeth and gashes to the face, i’ll gladly take the ribbing about it vs stitches, dental work and all the other bs you could deal with!!!

CaptainMusky

wowsers!
    Fiala gets 3 games. I think that’s high but he was definitely getting something. I personally think the King’s player toe picking played a big role in the whole thing but oh well. Out for 3 of 4 Avs games. Not ideal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I watched the replay a few more times today, it absolutely was a brutal hit, 3 games equates to about 5-6 games during a normal season, that sounds about right.

Doug M
    SE SD

Sorry for not being up to date on NHL discipline rules, but can he appeal? In MLB it happens to either get reduced or kick the can down the road to possibly a more favorable time or series.

JoeMX1825
    MN

at least we get to see Kaprizov in Fiala’s shooter position on the powerplay the next 3 games…

CaptainMusky

Sorry for not being up to date on NHL discipline rules, but can he appeal? In MLB it happens to either get reduced or kick the can down the road to possibly a more favorable time or series.

I don’t believe they have that in the NHL at least not that I’ve heard of anyone appealing it.

CaptainMusky

at least we get to see Kaprizov in Fiala’s shooter position on the powerplay the next 3 games…

silver lining or glass half full? Lol

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Doug M wrote:</div>

I don’t believe they have that in the NHL at least not that I’ve heard of anyone appealing it.

It has to be like a 6+ game suspension before they can appeal it.

tswoboda

Brad Hunt playing power play and 2 shifts on the 4th line makes me question Evason as a coach. Night 1 of a back to back and he dresses 11 forwards and has to double shift wings. If he wants to get Hunt in the lineup then Soucy can certainly sit in the press box a couple games.

Hartman looks like he had a red bull IV before the game. His game overall doesn’t get enough credit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Costly game on many fronts tonight…Colorado is GOOD

Hopefully Dumba didn’t destroy any knee ligaments and its just a bad sprain/strain…sure didn’t look good…

Cale Makar is an otherworldly talent and MacKinnon is too fast for even himself..

Oh and the Wild basically confirmed Rossi’s myocarditis diagnosis, the recovery time for this is no heart stress (exercise) for 5-6 months, then a recheck by a cardiologist to see if the heart scaring has healed, if so then gradually ramped up conditioning to a hopeful full recovery. So he’s done for this season for sure, but hopefully is ready to go next training camp.

OUCH!!! Talk about a tough night!!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Hartman looks like he had a red bull IV before the game. His game overall doesn’t get enough credit.

I know you can’t make all the plays but Hartman didn’t look to good trailing Donskoi to the front of the net when Donskoi scored on a power play.

CaptainMusky

I wasn’t expecting the wild to blow them out but certainly thought it would be closer. Man, this stretch of 4 games is going to be tough. If they win one I will be happy.
    At least they are pulling out the reverse retros for my birthday lol

Viewing 30 posts - 601 through 630 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.