2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    I will have to look back and see the remarks about the Stall trade. I am pretty sure most were good riddance he is old and slow. Not part of their future. Well at this point he would be more valuable than Johansson. Both now and for our future.

Just gonna quote myself here… pretty sure I didn’t like the trade when it happened, and still don’t.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Is Staal better?
    Is Staal cheaper?
    Does Staal play center?
    Does MJo play wing?

If the answers are yes, then this was a terrible trade. If the answers are no, you’re delusional.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    The wild gave up cap space to trade a top 6 center for a bottom 6 wing. Friendly reminder that they already had too many wings and not enough centers. If no other pieces move, then this is a terrible trade.

The only kicker is Staal’s no-trade list was loaded with playoff teams that would want him at the deadline and Johansson’s likely isn’t. But at this point, what playoff team is going to give up assets Johansson?

This was a rebuilding move that made the team worse for this season 100%.

I think we were the only two to agree on this back then.
    A lot of talking about hurt feelings and frustrations. Welcome to the world of professional sports. Fiala and KK lets not forget these players have barely had a cup of tea yet in the NHL. They should both be excited motivated to be a in a top six role. Do they have some talent we haven’t seen in a while yes but let’s pump the brakes on putting them super star pedestals just yet and thinking they should be dictating who they play with. Or thinking they are frustrated because they don’t have a good center to play with. Hell pretty evident and I’m sure the whole team is not real excited about the centers at this point.
    One thing is for certain Bill G has a lot of work to do with this team and honestly we are not really any closer than when he started except that KK is now on the team which was probably happening either way. And we have a few prospects that are just that prospects.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Holy crap did they come out juiced tonight! I like when they play angry. Previous Wild teams played this way and did very well but it only lasted a few games. I wish they would play with this sort of edge every night.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Wild were shot out of a cannon tonight!

Ripjiggen

Johansson has a goal and an assist in the 1st. rotflol
    He did make one of the worse passes/decisions I have seen on a legit 4 on 1 rush before he scored.
    whistling

JoeMX1825
    MN

He did make one of the worse passes/decisions I have seen on a legit 4 on 1 rush before he scored.
    whistling

The entire state of hockey that shift “WTF kind of bonehead decision was that? He’s f’ing terr…..Yeah he scores!”

CaptainMusky

whistling

I think I was one of the only ones that predicted this. Not really but how funny is it? Honestly no one would have guessed. He has been a great playmaker throughout his career but that 4 on 1 gaffe was horrible. Redeemed himself later. That pass to KK was legit

Ripjiggen

Glad you guys were watching and didn’t just see the box score tomorrow. shock
    Dumba has had a couple big hits.
    Oh man Fiala almost killed that guy.

CaptainMusky

Glad you guys were watching and didn’t just see the box score tomorrow. shock
    Dumba has had a couple big hits.
    Oh man Fiala almost killed that guy.

yeah that Fiala hit wasn’t good! Not intentional at all as you could see from his reaction. Sucks to be down that much in a period between that 5 min and what 2 minors? Really can’t get going. Good on Bjugstad to get one at the end. He didn’t deserve his faceoff violation but damn dude secure your lid!

CaptainMusky

Oh, KK97 was absolutely robbed on a wraparound too. 9 out of 10 times that’s a goal. Maybe not against Quick but you get the idea.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Oh, KK97 was absolutely robbed on a wraparound too. 9 out of 10 times that’s a goal. Maybe not against Quick but you get the idea.

pretty sure he beat Quick to the post, but DD was waiting to block it with his stick…no good replays of it I guess…

Ripjiggen

KK had a big open ice hit that he laid the guy out. The bench was razzing and laughing at him a bit. He just had a big smile on his face.

CaptainMusky

Our 1C was on the roster all this time! WTG Ek! Lol

tswoboda

That dumba shot to the face was just brutal. I don’t want to see that replay ever again.

I think tonight it’s as much about how flat LA as it is about how good the Wild are playing. Every player and line is buzzing tonight and completely dominating at even strength. Kings look like a JV team.

Ripjiggen

LA just taking a beating injury wise this game. Guy took a Dumba clapper untipped right to the mouth. Damn that had to hurt.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Bodies are crashing all over the place tonight!

Ripjiggen

That dumba shot to the face was just brutal. I don’t want to see that replay ever again.

I think tonight it’s as much about how flat LA as it is about how good the Wild are playing. Every player and line is buzzing tonight and completely dominating at even strength. Kings look like a JV team.

Been a weird game flow wise. Lots of man advantages couple long stoppages for injuries.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kings players looking to take shots on Kaprizov..

I think there’s gonna be a big blow up any minute here..

CaptainMusky

Dougty with the stupid cross-check that’s allowed. BS remove that from the game or let’s clone Boogaard and take that poop out of the game. I hate that. Dirty and adds up to injuries like Parise lower back issues.

tswoboda

It’s just Doughty.. that guy is garbage.

Kaapo game with a 2 goal lead = 3 minutes of our goalie trying to score.

Ripjiggen

Playing 8 times in your first 21 games 4 in your first 8 bound to get a little salty at some point. Don’t think either team had more than two shifts before there was penalty it seemed like.
    KK obviously likes playing the kings seams like he can skate around any one of their d.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Dougty with the stupid cross-check that’s allowed. BS remove that from the game or let’s clone Boogaard and take that poop out of the game. I hate that. Dirty and adds up to injuries like Parise lower back issues.

Hate to break it to you but Suter two hands guys all the time. He is just bit less obvious. Have to tell those fast guys to slow down somehow.
    EK should obliterate his career high in goals this year. Only needs 4 more.🥴

CaptainMusky

I know our guys do it too I want it gone period.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I can see how it should be called along the boards as it’s for sure a dangerous play, it seems like the line between a penalty and no penalty is all over the place depending on the ref.

CaptainMusky

I can see how it should be called along the boards as it’s for sure a dangerous play, it seems like the line between a penalty and no penalty is all over the place depending on the ref.

The ones that I think are the worst are where they drive down as they are doing it. That is the scenario where the really do the most damage. Just shoving someone in the back with a crosscheck isnt much of a big deal. Mike Johnston on NHL Network commented earlier this week with a video package how these should be taken out of the game.
    I have a feeling that Fiala is going to be sitting at least one game after that hit. You could tell he was mortified and didnt intend to do it, but crap happens.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah, 1 game is enough in a shortened season, plus he has no previous history..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Something for everyone in that game. Some great moments, and some WTFs.

What the heck has gotten into Ek?

Johansson is just plain strangling the stick. He’s under pressure and he’s showing it anytime he has to think about what to do. That 4 on 1 was a great example, then he just lets one rip and look what happens.

Damnit Kappo.

Nice check finish by Kaprisov. Just watching him out there with the Kings, it’s like he’s stickhandling without the puck. The Kings just looked like they had no idea what to do, they just skated around watching him.

Man that was an UG-LY shot from Dumba that hit that guy in the face. Mrs. Grouse asked what was going on because it took a while to restart the game, I had to explain they were cleaning up that unsightly blood pool on the ice. Ug. Hate to see that happen to anybody.

Fiala. Is the league going to suspend him? Not talking about what the rule says, the rules only apply to the top tier and original 6 teams. I can see the argument being made that he had no path to the puck so you can’t say it was totally inadvertent, he tried to push the guy out of the way.. The Crosbys of the league get away with a play like that with a warning. Does a Wild player? I’m thinking not.

Totally agree. It’s BS that the refs refuse to call that and that’s because the league wants play to flow. The league could end that overnight if they wanted to, just like when they decided to finally (freaking finally!) start calling hand slashing. Hand slashing is now a fraction of what it was before.

Grouse

tswoboda

Fiala has a hearing with the DOPS today, so that points to him getting at least 1 more game. The league could go any different way with this, and like Grouse said they are extremely inconsistent with suspensions. The play looked really bad, but watching the slow-mo replay you can see Roy caught his right skate edge and that’s what caused him to get launched into the boards instead of what Fiala was intending to do.

That Kaprizov check was great, and hearing the bench go crazy was even better!

CaptainMusky

That was their best game of the season IMO. We are sure going to see a lot of nastiness this year playing the same teams over and over again. The Kings will be watching for every chance to get Fiala whether he intended that or not. I dont understand the fight right off the bat. Always perplexes me, but the team was energized early and the typical second period is a bit of a letdown again. Need to figure that out.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think Evason needs to sit down with Kaapo and tell him to stop trying to score with an empty net…he’s being selfish and the delay of game penalty could have cost us last night…I would just chalk it upto being young and dumb so I expect it to be nipped.

Fiala won’t get more than 2 games (I expect 1) He was instantly regretful for the play and things happen so fast out there it’s just part of the game sometimes (yes, there are some of these hits that are more intentional and require a greater suspension) I also think he’ll get suspended because it resulted in an obvious injury, but that injury was due to his face hitting the edge of the boards more than injuring his back or neck. If he had got back up with no apparent injury, he would still get the game misconduct, but wouldn’t get suspended.

Ek’s goal surge is more of being in the right spot and the right time vs skill, but the maturation of his game is obvious and he’s thinking more offensive now, which in turn leads him to getting chances.

I read that Evason and the assistant coaches have been in Kaprizov’s ear telling him to be more selfish with the puck and get more shots and take more chances, they said he’s such a team player that he doesn’t want to appear selfish to his teammates, but we NEED him to be!

It was nice to see Saucy step up and get in the face of the King who took a shot at Kap along the bench, that shows they all care for the kid.

There are times on the ice when Kaprizov looks like “the really good kid up at the park rink” skating circles around everyone else and he’s 1-2 plays ahead of everybody else mentally…Now i’m NOT saying he’s McDavid, but McDavid is the only NHLer you could say that about…Kap has shown this in flashes when you can see he’s made up his mind to try and take over the play…he did it a few times last night, especially the powerplay late in the game when he was cycling with Brodin up near the blueline and skated around the zone a few times… exciting times!

oh and I also love the fact that he’s not scared to take the body or stick up for himself..that’s rare for a skilled player and hopefully keeps him healthy by conditioning his body to take hits…

Lastly, We talked about the rust Johansson and other vets who started off slowly need to shake off, it seemed like an eye opening event for himself last night on the bonehead 4-0 play he made, after that he played the type of game we’ve seen from him earlier in his career, maybe he’s turned the corner? we’ll see…

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.