2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    This DuBois fiasco (especially last nights game where he was benched for the 2nd and 3rd periods) is likely dropping his asking price a bit, at what point do the Wild show interest?

Reminds me of the Drouin situation a few years back. Hmmm. Interesting how these notable problem children are both…

I don’t like the idea of getting tangled up with attitude problem players in a trade situation. It’s one thing to sign a FA and give up nothing but the salary, but with the Wild needing upgrades in multiple roles, shipping several players/picks out is betting a lot of chips on one number.

IF Gurin’s staying away, it’s for a reason. I would suspect he has contacts that can fill him in on how much of the problem is Torts.

We have some terrific trade leverage this year both in terms of players, expansion situations, and multiple R1 picks in a year when Pittsburgh is in a tough division and could increase the value of the R1 pick they owe us. Now’s not the time to gamble on an attitude problem player IMO.

Grouse

Agree to some degree, but on the other hand number one centers don’t become available very often. It is the biggest hole this team always has had. Yes they have some assets but there also has to be another team willing to trade one of their biggest asset. Everyone has been talking about Dumba being traded for a number one center for almost two years now. Well what if there isn’t t a number one center to trade Dumba for?

tswoboda

Excellent point! I dont think the Kings are as bad as people think. I mean Quick is going to keep them in most games so yes, every head to head against these teams can be a 4 pt swing. Sucks we only gained 2 pts since we went to OT each time against the Kings, but the W is a W.

Kings were the hottest team in the league when the season got shut down last March. But then you look at their roster and it’s really not good, so who knows how they will do this year. Quick has been a bad goalie for a couple years now, he’s been a big part of getting them high draft picks!

It looks like I missed the conversation where the Wild are trading their worst contract for a #1C… Someone should definitely run that by Billy, sounds like a hell of a plan!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    Excellent point! I dont think the Kings are as bad as people think. I mean Quick is going to keep them in most games so yes, every head to head against these teams can be a 4 pt swing. Sucks we only gained 2 pts since we went to OT each time against the Kings, but the W is a W.

Kings were the hottest team in the league when the season got shut down last March. But then you look at their roster and it’s really not good, so who knows how they will do this year. Quick has been a bad goalie for a couple years now, he’s been a big part of getting them high draft picks!

It looks like I missed the conversation where the Wild are trading their worst contract for a #1C… Someone should definitely run that by Billy, sounds like a hell of a plan!

That is exactly what I was thinking. I would trade zuccarello in a heart beat for damn near any starting center in the league. lol

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

They’ll obviously do their homework and figure out if its a DuBois or Torts problem…If it’s Torts, then you do what you can to acquire a true #1 center, it all depends on the asking price making sense…

The problem is that he wouldn’t even have set foot in the X and Wild “fans” everywhere would be debating whether or not he’s REALLY a true #1 center. Or is he just a better than average #2 center, kind of a 1A guy, but not really a number one-number one? Like a #1.25 center maybe. I think you know what I mean.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

The only 2 legit #1 centers I’ve heard about with any type of trade rumor around them have been DuBois and Barkov (the Barkov one is hard to believe because he’s a soon to be 25 year old, 6’3″ superstar center with an ungodly hockey skillset, who in their right mind would trade that away, but there’s a ton of smoke around that rumor fire and Florida is a train wreck hockey org)

Even if DeBois turns out to be a 1B Center, he could at least give you 2 years to hopefully let Rossi turn into the 1A Center we hope for when we drafted him…maybe you unload him at next years deadline to recoup some capital?

We all know these guys are almost NEVER available for trades and rarely get to FA (Tavares was a rare exception, but he obviously wanted to play for his hometown Leafs)

IF you get a chance at one, I think you do all you can (within reason) to get one…again the Wild isn’t the only team in the league with this need, although we are probably the most desperate to finally get one. I’ve said this before, I think BillyG makes a HUGE move to get one, if it happens, we’ll probably feel like we overpaid, but this franchise is 20 years old and has never filled that void so to those who say just wait, we’ll draft and develop one, I’d say we’re 0-20 doing that…

The reason I threw out Zuc’s name as a possible trade scenario is because his cap number aligns with DuBois a bit, same thing with Dumba, there’s no way cap wise the Wild could just take on DeBois or anybody else by simply trading draft picks & prospects, we would need to move out at least $5 million…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Greenway and Erikson Ek’s improved play sofar this season will make it even more important to trade somebody we would likely protect at the xpac draft anyways to open a spot for both of them, Ek is probably safe as he’s a young center that’s still improving…That means we can only protect 1 of the following (Dumba/Greenway/Foligno/Soucy). Dumba is likely to be traded as we have too much money tied up in Defense and he’s the only one without a NTC and can return a significant asset(s)
    The other 3 are absolutely tradable as they have talent and are on good contracts.

If you’re BillyG what do you do?

xpac draft protected list?:

1) Parise (NTC)
    2) Zuccarello (NTC)
    3) Fiala
    4) Erickson Ek
    5) Suter (NTC)
    6) Spurgeon (NTC)
    7) Brodin (NTC)
    8) Greenway or Dumba or Foligno or Soucy (3 of these guys would be exposed if not traded beforehand)

Who do we currently have on our Taxi Squard or Iowa that meets this minimum xpac draft criteria?

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

I don’t know if we do? we might have to trade for one or two just to fill the requirements???

CaptainMusky

8) Greenway or Dumba or Foligno or Soucy (3 of these guys would be exposed if not traded beforehand)

The way Greenway is playing so far he sure is making a case for protecting him. I wouldnt be heartbroken if we lost Soucy. I think the D is the most replaceable on this team, but he does have some good size which isnt filled elsewhere. I’d hate to lose Foligno so this might be a similar scenario as Vegas where we might have to give them something else to NOT pick a player we want to keep which could suck once again.

CaptainMusky

The only 2 legit #1 centers I’ve heard about with any type of trade rumor around them have been DuBois and Barkov (the Barkov one is hard to believe because he’s a soon to be 25 year old, 6’3″ superstar center with an ungodly hockey skillset, who in their right mind would trade that away, but there’s a ton of smoke around that rumor fire and Florida is a train wreck hockey org)

The Barkov one is interesting but FLA has made it known they dont want to trade him and want him to re-sign with them. Dreger reported that Barkov’s representation commented that he wants to win and would be fine in FLA, but his ultimate goal is winning or being on the path to winning. They really arent on the path to winning and after that massive “BOB” contract its going to be tough without leaning heavy on prospects. They are way down the list of Pronman’s rankings far below the Wild.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

The way Greenway is playing so far he sure is making a case for protecting him. I wouldnt be heartbroken if we lost Soucy. I think the D is the most replaceable on this team, but he does have some good size which isnt filled elsewhere. I’d hate to lose Foligno so this might be a similar scenario as Vegas where we might have to give them something else to NOT pick a player we want to keep which could suck once again.

I’m sure Soucy is the preferred loss for BillyG, he’s easily replaceable with Mennel or Addison (we lose alot of size & toughness though) Is there anyway for the Wild to force Seattle’s hand and make them take Soucy just because he’s the best player available to choose from us? This obviously requires trading 2 of the 4 I mentioned and getting draft picks and somebody who meets the minimum requirements (games played at at least 1 year left on his deal) to be exposed…at least you have some control on what you lose and don’t get taken to the woodshed trying to make deals on players not to select….

tswoboda

100% Greenway’s play through 4 games has been a huge improvement. I think we’ll see a line with Greenway/Ek/Kaprizov do very well at some point this season.

Protected List (with Dumba):
    1) Parise (NTC)
    2) Zuccarello (NTC)
    3) Fiala
    4) Erickson Ek
    5) Suter (NTC)
    6) Spurgeon (NTC)
    7) Brodin (NTC)
    8) Dumba
    9) Kahkonen
    -Talbot, Stalock**, Soucy, Greenway, Foligno, Rask**, and Hartman** fill available player slots

Protected List (withOUT Dumba):
    1) Parise (NTC)
    2) Zuccarello (NTC)
    3) Fiala
    4) Erickson Ek
    5) Suter (NTC)
    6) Spurgeon (NTC)
    7) Brodin (NTC)
    8) Greenway
    9) Foligno
    10) Dumba’s replacement
    -Talbot, Stalock**, Soucy, Rask**, and Hartman** fill available player slots

**Rask would need to play 28 games this season and Hartman would have to be tendered a qualifying offer. Not sure how Stalock’s injury status affects his availability but it shouldn’t matter.

A week ago I thought they were keeping Dumba, protecting 8 skaters, and Seattle would likely pick Greenway or Soucy. Since the Foligno extension and Pateryn<->Cole trade, I think they are trading Dumba before the XPAC draft and protecting 7F/3D. Soucy will get selected, which is just fine.

JoeMX1825
    MN

that 7-3-1 model makes more sense now….I completely forgot about Rask and I would guess Hartman does get a tender as he’s a good gritty sandpaper 4th liner… I do think if Rask keeps up his play he could get picked because he’s a serviceable center with only a year left at a reasonable caphit for a new franchise. I don’t expect very many centers with experience get exposed. if he doesn’t get picked, Rask is only a $1.3 cap hit to get bought out this summer….

CaptainMusky

NBC just announced NBC Sports is done at the end of this year. That is going to suck for NHL viewing. They have some great on air talent as well now that Milbury is gone. Where are they going to go? I dont think ESPN is in any position to take this contract on they are bleeding out as it is.
    Perhaps this is a move by NBC to force people to their Peacock platform. If so, that may work out better for some, but its additional cost no? I havent had enough interest to even look for it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whoa. I just checked to confirm and its true. All their NHL games sound like they are going to get moved to the USA Network. FOX and ESPN have also shown interest.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Some network will pick them up, the NHL is what the #5 or #6 ranked pro sports league in North America? Last time I heard anything about the NHL TV deal it said ESPN wanted to get it back.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Whoa. I just checked to confirm and its true. All their NHL games sound like they are going to get moved to the USA Network. FOX and ESPN have also shown interest.

Would be nice if ESPN would get back on the bandwagon. They used to air a lot of hockey. Never watch that channel now that all they care about is football and NBA.

Ripjiggen

NBC just announced NBC Sports is done at the end of this year. That is going to suck for NHL viewing. They have some great on air talent as well now that Milbury is gone. Where are they going to go? I dont think ESPN is in any position to take this contract on they are bleeding out as it is.
    Perhaps this is a move by NBC to force people to their Peacock platform. If so, that may work out better for some, but its additional cost no? I havent had enough interest to even look for it.

This was known for sometime. At least that the deal was up and they would have to find new TV partners. Hopefully they will be like every other major sport and sell the rights to several networks. Looking back on their last contract that was the NHL’s biggest downfall compared to other leagues. Other leagues figured out to get multiple contracts instead of one mega contract is a better return.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That DuBois video played like a hostage tape…totally coached by his agent on what to say “Well As a hockey player we try to help the team…..blah blah blah” What’s even the point of the team putting him in front of the media? It’s almost like the Blue Jackets were setting him up look bad in the press conference… dumb all around…he needs to get the heck out of Columbus….

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Hopefully they will be like every other major sport and sell the rights to several networks. Looking back on their last contract that was the NHL’s biggest downfall compared to other leagues. Other leagues figured out to get multiple contracts instead of one mega contract is a better return.

The NHL also needs to do what it can to get on the basic channel list for cable providers vs the ADD-on channel like NBCSN is at most providers…from what the press release I read said, they will move the games to USA Channel which is on the basic channel lineup, so maybe it’s a good thing short term until they sign a new major deal?

Ripjiggen

That DuBois video played like a hostage tape…totally coached by his agent on what to say “Well As a hockey player we try to help the team…..blah blah blah” What’s even the point of the team putting him in front of the media? It’s almost like the Blue Jackets were setting him up look bad in the press conference… dumb all around…he needs to get the heck out of Columbus….

Sounds exactly like a Torts move. He isn’t the first player to not want to play for him.

tswoboda

IDK guys, it sounded to me like he was auditioning for Lettekenny

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Would be nice if ESPN would get back on the bandwagon. They used to air a lot of hockey. Never watch that channel now that all they care about is football and NBA.

Gary Thorne and Bill Clement back calling games on Wednesday Night Hockey?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When we didn’t have a team espn was awesome. I think most games were on espn2. Then playoffs came and games were on espn and espn2 at the same times so you had a choice. Espn got me through the years there wasn’t a mn team.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I miss melrose. Thorne, clement and Melrose were awesome.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I miss melrose

He still does the frozen four every April with Buccigross. He’s not well versed in the college hockey realm, however. His skills lie with the pros.

CaptainMusky

So Talbot is out now. Looks like a knee injury. KK needs to be with Greenway and Ek the move Parise with Fiala and Bonino and get Parise of 1PP center.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So Talbot is out now. Looks like a knee injury. KK needs to be with Greenway and Ek the move Parise with Fiala and Bonino and get Parise of 1PP center.

it looked like a slapshot snuck over his pad and caught his kneecap, my guess is that it swelled up sitting between periods and he chose the safe route and pulled himself, shouldn’t be an issue, will hurt like a biotch in the morning though!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Erik Karlsson looks like he’s back and healthy finally! Flying up and down the ice at will..His assist was filthy!

Viewing 30 posts - 481 through 510 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.