2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    power play is terrible to watch

I argued this point before the season started and its now coming to fruition. People thought I was on crack for saying it wouldn’t work

To be fair you said it wouldn’t work because they don’t have a right shot forward to take one timers, which I still believe has nothing to do with the struggles they are seeing now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

To be fair you said it wouldn’t work because they don’t have a right shot forward to take one timers, which I still believe has nothing to do with the struggles they are seeing now.

Ok, that’s fair.

On the other hand, others said it would be incredible simply because of the talent/lineup/skill too.

CaptainMusky

Ok, that’s fair.

On the other hand, others said it would be incredible simply because of the talent/lineup/skill too.

Incredible might be a bit of a stretch. I know I never said that. LOL

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Incredible might be a bit of a stretch

Good or efficient or better than average might be better terminology. Regardless…

tswoboda

“The Capitals were fined $100,000 by the NHL on Wednesday for violating the league’s COVID-19 protocols.” …. “It’s believed that the four, who are fellow countrymen and good friends, got together to watch sports on television.”
    -The Athletic

“I regret my choice to spend time together with my teammates in our hotel room and away from the locker room areas, I will learn from this experience.”
    -Alex Ovechkin

What a world

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    Incredible might be a bit of a stretch

Good or efficient or better than average might be better terminology. Regardless…

VERY small sample size. If we are 30 games in and still as inept then I’d be worried. They are getting opportunities they are just not going in. Should we be worried that Fiala or Parise don’t have any points? No.

CaptainMusky

“The Capitals were fined $100,000 by the NHL on Wednesday for violating the league’s COVID-19 protocols.” …. “It’s believed that the four, who are fellow countrymen and good friends, got together to watch sports on television.”
    -The Athletic

“I regret my choice to spend time together with my teammates in our hotel room and away from the locker room areas, I will learn from this experience.”
    -Alex Ovechkin

What a world

Agreed. I saw a tweet from Ovi’s wife and she referenced that Ovi and one of the others have antibodies as well. Its pretty crazy world we are living in now. They can sit next to each other on a bus, a plane the bench but cant sit and watch something in the same room? I get if someone from outside the organization shouldnt be going to the room, but these guys are around each other all the time.

Ripjiggen

-The Athletic

-Alex Ovechkin

What a world

So dumb so they can sit in a locker room jump on each other after a goal breathe all over each other on the bench but can’t sit in a hotel room to watch probably another hockey game. So stupid.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wait what? You can’t hang out with your teammates? There is obviously more to the story than posted here

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

While I agree that this situation with the Capitals doesn’t make a lot of sense, there are specific guidelines, rules, and protocols that each and every player has agreed to follow if they want to play hockey this season. If you don’t like them, don’t agree to them, and don’t play. If you agree to them and play, but then fail to follow what you’ve agreed to, sorry but that is shameful and a blatant clear violation. Regardless of how “common sense” or dumb it may be.

Sounds like he acknowledged his mistake and learned a lesson.

JoeMX1825
    MN

While I agree that this situation with the Capitals doesn’t make a lot of sense, there are specific guidelines, rules, and protocols that each and every player has agreed to follow if they want to play hockey this season. If you don’t like them, don’t agree to them, and don’t play. If you agree to them and play, but then fail to follow what you’ve agreed to, sorry but that is shameful and a blatant clear violation. Regardless of how “common sense” or dumb it may be.

This is all correct

The road procedure has each player staying in a single room and they all pickup individual meals and eat alone in their rooms. They have designated areas with better ventilation and air circulation where the team can all hang out, but they all must be masked at all times.

The Caps players broke the rules by having 4 guys in a single room drinking beers watching tv/playing cards most likely all maskless. It’s the rules they signed up for and they broke them. It might seem pointless with all of the other examples mentioned, but in the hotel on the road is one of the few situations where COVID exposure can be mostly controlled, that’s why they stand by the rules so strictly.

tswoboda

Wait what? You can’t hang out with your teammates? There is obviously more to the story than posted here

Nope, that’s the story. Four teammates “watching sports on television”.

I didn’t post the quotes to argue right or wrong, I just thought they were hilarious. Especially the official “apology” from Ovi.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Reasonable game from the Wild and a power play goal, so pretty tough to find a lot of fault with that effort. Again, 2 pipe clankers kept it closer than it could have been.

Watching Kaprisov break Shattenkirk’s ankles with that that lateral move was totally worth the (figurative) price of admission. To Shattenkirk’s credit, at least he managed to stay on his feet after getting burned and came back to get close enough to get himself a nice slashing penalty. Half the league would have just blown a tire and laid there in a heap.

Fiala’s getting frustrated. Maybe palying against some better teams will make him forget about trying too hard and just do it.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

Grouse, that sure was a nifty move wasnt it? For how so many people ragged on his speed (not here) he sure has a way to fool people with his quickness and create space. That play behind the net that led to Ek’s goal, which didnt look like much was done quickly so the D had no chance to react and then the Big Rig one timed the pass to Ek. Almost like I dominant as I was on NHL 94. -)

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So how was Kirill and Dumba able to watch the world Jr’s together? Is this just a rule when you are on the road?

CaptainMusky

So how was Kirill and Dumba able to watch the world Jr’s together? Is this just a rule when you are on the road?

It was just a rule for when the season started. The WJC was before the season started, but I do think that if they are at home its laxed like Joe was eluding to. I think the main issue is that while on the road they dont want the team gathering together because then the whole team could go down if they somehow get exposed, but at home they have a bit more control of the environments they are in???

JoeMX1825
    MN

The NHL has to keep the optics of doing everything they can to protect players when they have control to do so (on the road protocols, arena protocols, locker room protocols) obviously you can’t police what the players do in their homes or when they leave their homes, but once they enter the arena they do.

And if you’ve watched the NHL Network or the NBCSN games at all you’ve seen the commercial with the players saying “they wear a mask, so should you” so again it gets back to the optics…and the NHL dropping the hammer on 2 league superstars and 2 other key players for 4 games in a shortened season I guarantee you every GM talked to their players this morning telling them to take the rules f’ing seriously…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Watching Kaprisov break Shattenkirk’s ankles with that that lateral move was totally worth the (figurative) price of admission.

Grouse

It was such a subtle move and it happened so fast, then he turned the jets on. Very impressive.

JoeMX1825
    MN

This DuBois fiasco (especially last nights game where he was benched for the 2nd and 3rd periods) is likely dropping his asking price a bit, at what point do the Wild show interest?

Yes, there’s the whole his attitude question, but he’s a young kid who’s mind is probably being poisoned by his agent. He’s signed for another year after this at a really good price for a #1 center. I think a good chunk of this issue is Torts, he’s just a a-hole type of personality that can really rub some people the wrong way, he’s been like that every place he’s coached at.

What would the Wild be willing to let go to get him? It has to be a player in the $6 million range for cap purposes…

How about Zuccarello, one of our 1st round picks this draft and a mid-level prospect like Khovanov or Beckman?

CaptainMusky

This DuBois fiasco (especially last nights game where he was benched for the 2nd and 3rd periods) is likely dropping his asking price a bit, at what point do the Wild show interest?

Yes, there’s the whole his attitude question, but he’s a young kid who’s mind is probably being poisoned by his agent. He’s signed for another year after this at a really good price for a #1 center. I think a good chunk of this issue is Torts, he’s just a a-hole type of personality that can really rub some people the wrong way, he’s been like that every place he’s coached at.

What would the Wild be willing to let go to get him? It has to be a player in the $6 million range for cap purposes…

How about Zuccarello, one of our 1st round picks this draft and a mid-level prospect like Khovanov or Beckman?

I don’t know if I would even want him almost regardless of price. I mentioned earlier in his post game, sheesh, he looks totally disengaged. The video of him in the 1st period in the “puck battle” was ridiculous. Twice the size of both players and essentially just stood there like a pylon letting them take the puck and head out of the zone with no effort at all. Amazing talent, but is his attitude repairable? Plus, will he even want to re-sign here? That is the biggest thing for me. I wouldnt want to give up all that for a season where we aren’t ready to really compete. I guess he is an RFA, but still. Not sure, but I dont hate what you suggested, but elephant in the room though would be if Zuccarello would waive.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I totally forgot Zuc has a NTC…yuk…

My thinking was if that type of Trade was doable, it gets us out of Zuc’s contract and at worse gets us a #1 center hopefully working hard to get a premium long term contract and if not we get a ton of capspace in 2 years…I think his attitude will be fine, Torts has a way of killing certain personalities causing them to just throw in the towel and demand/force a trade (it has happened several times with star players and Torts) I also think his agent is in his ear telling him to just sabotage his way out of Columbus and they’ll work to repair his image afterwards with a new team.

CaptainMusky

I think his attitude will be fine, Torts has a way of killing certain personalities causing them to just throw in the towel and demand/force a trade (it has happened several times with star players and Torts) I also think his agent is in his ear telling him to just sabotage his way out of Columbus and they’ll work to repair his image afterwards with a new team.

No doubt much of this is because of Torts, but he is putting himself in the position for Torts to do Torts things. He coached in the KHL didnt he? I’m surprised the Russian mob didnt have him killed if he did something like he does here.
    Here is the video clip of the effort I referenced, this is pathetic. Worse than bar league type stuff:

I agree, if we could somehow get out from under Mats’ contract it would be worth it.

CaptainMusky

Wild get the Sharks tonight and Dubnyk and Donato returning for first time. Sounds like Donato is getting 1st line time so will be interesting to see what he can do elevated in the lineup. I think he was mainly buried in the lineup here so let’s see what the kid can do with more ice time.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Reminds me of the Drouin situation a few years back. Hmmm. Interesting how these notable problem children are both…

I don’t like the idea of getting tangled up with attitude problem players in a trade situation. It’s one thing to sign a FA and give up nothing but the salary, but with the Wild needing upgrades in multiple roles, shipping several players/picks out is betting a lot of chips on one number.

IF Gurin’s staying away, it’s for a reason. I would suspect he has contacts that can fill him in on how much of the problem is Torts.

We have some terrific trade leverage this year both in terms of players, expansion situations, and multiple R1 picks in a year when Pittsburgh is in a tough division and could increase the value of the R1 pick they owe us. Now’s not the time to gamble on an attitude problem player IMO.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

I watched that shift live last night and said to myself “hmm that was a lazy play by DuBois” and then changed the channel only to hear he didn’t play another shift the rest of the game…I can’t blame Torts for that though, it looked pretty bad…BUT I’ve seen Ovi and other offensive star players take a few defensive plays off all the time…so it’s nothing new…my guess is you’ll see an obvious made up “Upper Body Injury” excuse for him very soon keeping him out of the lineup and then he’ll eventually get traded, you can’t keep that bad situation in the locker room for very long before it starts to spread….

I’ve watched a few Sharks games, Donato gets 2nd/3rd line shifts and PP time and the few goals he’s scored have been around the net, so I don’t think he’s giving the Sharks anything more than what he gave the Wild…we’re pretty set at Wing and Boldy and Beckman will be fighting for spots next year) so he didn’t fit in our longterm plans…his skating will always hold him back from being a top 6 player)

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Reminds me of the Drouin situation a few years back. Hmmm. Interesting how these notable problem children are both…

I don’t like the idea of getting tangled up with attitude problem players in a trade situation. It’s one thing to sign a FA and give up nothing but the salary, but with the Wild needing upgrades in multiple roles, shipping several players/picks out is betting a lot of chips on one number.

IF Gurin’s staying away, it’s for a reason. I would suspect he has contacts that can fill him in on how much of the problem is Torts.

We have some terrific trade leverage this year both in terms of players, expansion situations, and multiple R1 picks in a year when Pittsburgh is in a tough division and could increase the value of the R1 pick they owe us. Now’s not the time to gamble on an attitude problem player IMO.

Grouse

They’ll obviously do their homework and figure out if its a DuBois or Torts problem…If it’s Torts, then you do what you can to acquire a true #1 center, it all depends on the asking price making sense…

CaptainMusky

They’ll obviously do their homework and figure out if its a DuBois or Torts problem…If it’s Torts, then you do what you can to acquire a true #1 center, it all depends on the asking price making sense…

That price has to be tanking right now I would think. I would say that CBJ wont be in any rush. I mean how long did it take for Duchesne to get traded? 18 months? I would say that he was seemingly putting forth effort.

CaptainMusky

I’ve watched a few Sharks games, Donato gets 2nd/3rd line shifts and PP time and the few goals he’s scored have been around the net, so I don’t think he’s giving the Sharks anything more than what he gave the Wild…we’re pretty set at Wing and Boldy and Beckman will be fighting for spots next year) so he didn’t fit in our longterm plans…his skating will always hold him back from being a top 6 player)

From what I read on hockey reference he only has 1 goal and 1 assist so far (probably a scoring change after the fact). He is getting 3 minutes more per game ice time so that will be good for him. 100% agree, he is not a good skater. He is better off in SJ and we are better off with our options coming.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didn’t realize the Wild plays the Kings again after the Sharks, great opportunity to put some early points in the standings against the supposed bottom teams and work to secure that 4 spot! Kings beat the Avs last night too!

CaptainMusky

I didn’t realize the Wild plays the Kings again after the Sharks, great opportunity to put some early points in the standings against the supposed bottom teams and work to secure that 4 spot! Kings beat the Avs last night too!

Excellent point! I dont think the Kings are as bad as people think. I mean Quick is going to keep them in most games so yes, every head to head against these teams can be a 4 pt swing. Sucks we only gained 2 pts since we went to OT each time against the Kings, but the W is a W.

Viewing 30 posts - 451 through 480 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.