2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Finished 9th in pts for defensmen last season. 2nd on the team. 13th in Time on Ice for defensemen. 14th highest paid defensemen.Just sayin!

When stats and logic are brought into a baseball thread it’s generally frowned upon. Maybe here I’d be accepted a little more.

Couldn’t have asked for a better first win. Especially considering I was in LA to enjoy it!

Just stats no analytics like spin rate of his wrist shot or exit velocity of his slap shot…that’s not allowed here. Besides you are a wolves fan. Now that the wild have half the wins they do are you jumping ship. chased

tswoboda

Are the Blackhawks going to challenge the Red Wings for worst record this year? I know they played the Bolts but man they got stomped their first 2 games. Top 2 centers are out and goaltending situation is abysmal.

Ripjiggen

For their sake and what they are trying to do it would make sense. I would take being abysmal after a handful of parades.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good bounce back games for Suter and Johannson, the team found a way to win with Quick being really good tonight for the Kings.

Kaprizov looked like he was trying to do too much out there and made several rookie (bad) mistakes tonight but made a great pass to setup the OT winner.

With Kaprizov and Fiala the Wild is a very dangerous OT team now, Eveson playing the young and fast guys in OT is a wonderful change of coaches past who only played the slower vets.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Finished 9th in pts for defensmen last season. 2nd on the team. 13th in Time on Ice for defensemen. 14th highest paid defensemen.Just sayin!

When stats and logic are brought into a baseball thread it’s generally frowned upon. Maybe here I’d be accepted a little more.

Couldn’t have asked for a better first win. Especially considering I was in LA to enjoy it!

Wait…..Hey!!!! Don’t ruin this thread for me too!!!!

By the way? Do hockey analytics keep track of turnovers? Pretty sure Suter would be top 10 in that stat also.

Definitely a better game from Johansson tonight. The think about KK that I’m most impressed about is his battle level. He fights on the boards, goes into the middle and wins tough puck battles. You don’t see that very often for guys with his offensive skill level.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are the Blackhawks going to challenge the Red Wings for worst record this year? I know they played the Bolts but man they got stomped their first 2 games. Top 2 centers are out and goaltending situation is abysmal.

Well you might find out because the Wings and Hawks play each other 8 times.

The Blackhawks sure have fallen off a cliff, haven’t they? They were the team to beat for about 6 years and then splat they just all got old and slow.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Reality check – aren’t the Kings & Ducks 2 of the NHL’s bottom dwellers, at the current place & time?

Ok, back on track.

So pizzed FSN contracts aren’t more readily available on many TV providers. Just another MN laughingstock.

tswoboda

Reality check – aren’t the Kings & Ducks 2 of the NHL’s bottom dwellers, at the current place & time?

Add the sharks to that list too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

0 for 16 so far this season on the power play.

JoeMX1825
    MN

uggg, The Ducks goalies just own the Wild at home, always have…we had several chances at open nets and just flat out missed… The 0-16 Powerplay doesn’t bother me at all, they are getting good chances but the puck just hasn’t gone in yet. It still seems like they really don’t have a good plan on what to do with each other yet, the Kaprizov to Fiala cross-ice pass play just isn’t working and yet they continue to force feed it time after time…

The play where Fiala and Spurgeon work one side and then Spurgeon passes over to Kaprizov high in the zone with tons of space to move up and shoot is there most of the time, Kaprizov is just hesitant to shoot it for some reason?

It’s time to implement the KISS powerplay and just get the monkey off their backs now… i’m sure they are all sick of hearing about it…

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Betcha Rasky was a bit sleepless over that gaping wide open net.

Mn Wild ‘can’t score’ curse returns.

CaptainMusky

Betcha Rasky was a bit sleepless over that gaping wide open net.

Mn Wild ‘can’t score’ curse returns.

Yeah, he shouldve buried that but it did deflect off the defenseman’s stick. He kind of hesitated with the shot, bobbled it a bit and that allowed time for the defender to get his stick in the way. Needed to be a one-timer.

tswoboda

uggg, The Ducks goalies just own the Wild at home, always have…we had several chances at open nets and just flat out missed… The 0-16 Powerplay doesn’t bother me at all, they are getting good chances but the puck just hasn’t gone in yet. It still seems like they really don’t have a good plan on what to do with each other yet, the Kaprizov to Fiala cross-ice pass play just isn’t working and yet they continue to force feed it time after time…

The play where Fiala and Spurgeon work one side and then Spurgeon passes over to Kaprizov high in the zone with tons of space to move up and shoot is there most of the time, Kaprizov is just hesitant to shoot it for some reason?

It’s time to implement the KISS powerplay and just get the monkey off their backs now… i’m sure they are all sick of hearing about it…

Ripping shots early in the game is what opens that cross ice pass. Game 1 Fiala and Kaprizov were looking shoot first and that opened everything else up. They’re snakebit and now look like they’re hesitant to shoot and trying to force passes.

Spurgeon needs to make harder passes across the top. The cupcakes are easier to onetime but it’s also that much easier for the goalie and PK to get in front of. Who knows, maybe they need some Ryan Suter saucer shots from the point.

At least the PK is really clicking through the first 3 games… they kill has been rock solid.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I still wish Bruce was the coach. It would have cool to see him coach Kaprizov.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Lots of new pieces in the Wild organization and not surprising that there are some rough edges.

I’m not taking much away from last night’s game, the Wild got beat 1-0 by a hot goaltender who robbed the Wild of what would have been 2-3 goals. It happens. So do the defensive lapses that led to the Ducks only goal.

Basically, I think we need to get the Rossi kid healthy and in the centerman mix and there won’t be much chance of him getting sent down, because we’ve got too many gaps to leave a player like that in the minors.

The PP needs to gel and that’s only going to come through experience and practice. Both of which are in short supply due to the COVID season situation.

0 for 16 so far this season on the power play.

I read an interesting stat a few months back.

Question: Where do the Wild rank against the rest of the league in power-play production over the last 10 years?

My guess was in the bottom 10. ALL Wild fans are well aware of what they see as the “terrible” Wild woes on the PP.

The answer was the Wild rank was something like #11 or #12 (I’m going from memory here) in overall power-play goals. There is a large cluster of teams from 10 to about 20 that are all within only a few goals of each other. Granted 10 years is a long sample size, but basically what this stat told me is that every team in the league has power-play woes at one time or another and we’re nothing special or terrible in this regard.

I still wish Bruce was the coach. It would have cool to see him coach Kaprizov

I’m still confused by how Bruce was fired with only 20 games left and then the bizarre situation of naming Dean as interim coach followed by months of silence, then mysteriously tearing off the interim label off Evason during the summer.

I still think that Gurin had other plans and something went wrong. I would like to know who the Plan A guy really was, because clearly, it was NOT Evason.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I still think that Gurin had other plans and something went wrong. I would like to know who the Plan A guy really was, because clearly, it was NOT Evason.

[/quote]

Agree a 100%! Something happened to Plan A guy and Evason was the back up plan.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m a bit discouraged why the Wild aren’t one of the teams rumored to be interested in Barkov or DuBois, sure BillyG could be under the radar and making calls, but none of the national NHL guys have mentioned the Wild in those trade conversations and they typically know what they are talking about…

Russo has a podcast with the BillyG this week, perhaps we’ll get some of the questions we’ve all had finally answered (Rossi injury, trades, etc)

CaptainMusky

I’m a bit discouraged why the Wild aren’t one of the teams rumored to be interested in Barkov or DuBois, sure BillyG could be under the radar and making calls, but none of the national NHL guys have mentioned the Wild in those trade conversations and they typically know what they are talking about…

I believe those talking heads dont believe the Wild have either the assets to make the trade or if they do the wild wouldnt be willing to part with them.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I believe those talking heads dont believe the Wild have either the assets to make the trade or if they do the wild wouldnt be willing to part with them.

Because it’s not exciting for them to talk about them going to the wild. Many more readers and clicks if Boston Toronto New York teams get mentioned.

CaptainMusky

Because it’s not exciting for them to talk about them going to the wild. Many more readers and clicks if Boston Toronto New York teams get mentioned.

In reality this is the truth.

JoeMX1825
    MN

outside of maybe the Kings/Senators/Rangers we have the best tradable prospect pool in the league and 2 #`1 picks this year, we have the ammo to do something big if it’s worth it…I’m hesitant on DuBois because his me first attitude never goes away, but I would sell the kitchen sink to get Barkov…20 years without a true #1 center in this franchise, I think it’s time to take a shot! Barkov is about as surething as you can get, 25 years old, 6’3″ 215 lb Center with ungodly hands and Hockey IQ and another year on contract at only $5.9 million. So what if it requires him to be re-signed to one of the biggest contracts in league history in 2 years, if he’s worth it, that’s the price you pay…

otherwise we’ll continue to cry about not having one and hope one our future mid-level picks hit the lottery and we find a diamond in the rough (how has that worked the past 20 years?)

i’m just looking for a hint of acknowledgment from a team source or Russo that it’s being look at, there’s no need for keeping our interest secret, I’m sure EVERY team has interest…

CaptainMusky

outside of maybe the Kings/Senators/Rangers we have the best tradable prospect pool in the league and 2 #`1 picks this year, we have the ammo to do something big if it’s worth it…

I agree with you, but the talk Ive heard is they would want to swap a 1C for Dubois which we obviously dont have right now.
    I heard a postgame with Dubois and I wouldnt touch him with a 20 foot pole. Man, he is a trainwreck about to happen.
    Barkov absolutely intrigues me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

…but I would sell the kitchen sink to get Barkov…20 years without a true #1 center in this franchise, I think it’s time to take a shot! Barkov is about as surething as you can get, 25 years old, 6’3″ 215 lb Center with ungodly hands and Hockey IQ and another year on contract at only $5.9 million. So what if it requires him to be re-signed to one of the biggest contracts in league history in 2 years, if he’s worth it, that’s the price you pay…

I agree, I can’t see why Gurin wouldn’t have been looking at Barkov. Probably just a case of not showing his cards.

In addition to the cap, we have two, count them, 2 picks in R1 of this year’s draft. If the Wild don’t have the bank to be serious contenders for Barkov, then nobody does because FL wants way, way, too much and isn’t serious about selling.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

So Pateryn to Avs and Cole to the Wild. Both UFAs, Avs retain some salary. This is so Avs can sign Byrum who they are high on. Not that kind of high that colorado is famous for.

tswoboda

Gregg patryn traded for Ian Cole, straight up with some salary retained by COL.

First thought is… Why?? Bottom pair D for bottom pair D.

Second thought… Cole is more capable/experienced in the top 4 than pateryn or soucy on his off hand. Dumba move coming soon.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Florida will almost assuredly lose Barkov to FA after next season, so it’s either trade him at the next 2 deadlines or before next years draft. We’ll have the best draft capital in the entire league this draft, I heard he wants to play in a serious hockey market and not alot of teams that aren’t still 3-5 years out rebuilding have capspace like the Wild should. We’re kind of the perfect spot for Barkov…I wouldn’t even mind unloading 2 or 3 x 1st round picks plus a prospect like Beckman or Khovanov. It seems like alot but odds are they are likely early mid round level picks and you get Barkov in return solving your 1C problem for likely the next 10+ years…

Looks like we just traded Patryn to Colorado for Ian Cole. Cole will be much easier to trade at the deadline and get a much better return as well!

Great move by BillyG and at least we know his phone works ;)

tswoboda

My third thought was Guerin and
    Sackic are both just addicted to the rush from making trades.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

My third thought was Guerin and
    Sackic are both just addicted to the rush from making trades.

LOL at least this time I think Sakic didn’t fleece his trade partner. Avs retain 800k.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Did anybody listen to the Russo/BillyG podcast? What was the update on Rossi injury? Any trade talk for a center?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My cousin is a big time Avs fan who lives in Denver and is not happy about the trade. Hopefully it’s a good move for us. Also has quite a bit of postseason play and two cups with the pens.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.