2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Other than Kaprizov’s awesome debut, the other thing that was painfully obvious last night is that our current Center’s (outside of Ek who’s perfect in the #3 role) are a huge anchor on this team. Bonino did well on draws but he’s not a 1C/2C, the Parise at Center experiment was a complete failure in the fact that I think he was 1/19 on draws, those losses on the PP cost us about 1/3 of our total PP time retrieving the puck back from our zone.

So what are the options?

1) Keep auditioning existing players and see if somebody rises to the challenge? Rask was decent filling in for Bjugstad…maybe try something completely different like Mayhew? I think somebody with speed is the key playing with Kaprizov or Fiala…
    2) Keep the faith until Rossi gets back and let him learn on the fly as 1C/2C?
    3) BillyG makes a trade before he really wants to, does he swing for the fences and overpay for a franchise true center in Barkov or DuBois? or just settle and find another mid-level center to put a competent body out there?
    4) Just ride out the season with what we have and make moves at the deadline?
    5) Wait until the offseason and see what capspace you have after resigning Fiala and Kaprizov longer term? Then make a push to trade for or sign a FA Center?

The one thing I worry about is Fiala getting frustrated out there due to lack of talent to play with, I think the few times Dean put him and Kaprizov together was an offering to Fiala to keep him engaged in the game…smart move by coach!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Who’s that Rask guy!? coffee

Maybe a better season for him? Hopefully, for as much as he’s getting paid.

CaptainMusky

The GEEF line was a problem for LA, I think they played every shift in the O-zone and drew like 4 penalties.
    The wild as a team played heavy, lots of finished checks and guys using their size advantage.

This is exactly why I think the Wild had a pretty good shot at making the playoffs and perhaps even getting past the first round. We may not have a scary first or second line but we have 4 really solid lines. Not to be lost in any of this but Rask actually looked good last night and didnt he get moved up to the first line? I think a post above referenced that too, but man who would have thought that last year? Its more of an indictment on our Center depth, but still for him to jump from 4th to 1st says something about him too. I hope he has a good season.

tswoboda

Who’s that Rask guy!? coffee

Maybe a better season for him? Hopefully, for as much as he’s getting paid.

Well he’s getting paid the same as Bjugstad and Johansson, and last night he was better than both.

Other than Kaprizov’s awesome debut, the other thing that was painfully obvious last night is that our current Center’s (outside of Ek who’s perfect in the #3 role) are a huge anchor on this team. Bonino did well on draws but he’s not a 1C/2C, the Parise at Center experiment was a complete failure in the fact that I think he was 1/19 on draws, those losses on the PP cost us about 1/3 of our total PP time retrieving the puck back from our zone.

Like I said, this team missed Eric Staal last night. I’m not saying he’s a good option – but on this team he was and still would be the no doubt #1C. Someone to at least fill the hole and provide consistency – and maybe even win a PP draw or two.

The top to center spots is a huge hole for this team, and that was glaringly obvious coming in to the season – no surprise there. Bonino and Erikson Ek are 2 of the best #3/shut down centers in the league, but unfortunately for this team they are #1/#2 centers and I think that’s what’s going to happen eventually. They should have enough talent on their wings to just play defense and start the breakout – Koivu made a career out of that.

CaptainMusky

I think getting the rust off against a crappy team was good. I am pretty sure we just saw the worst from a lot of our players last night. Johanson will be better. Bjugstad coming off a significant injury and surgery will be better it may just take these guys a bit. Its easy to forget we had a truncated training camp and no preseason and just thrust right into actual games. This is not easy. No level of practice or scrimmages can prepare you for real game scenarios and playing against someone else. They will all be better. I was really disappointed in the faceoffs. That was something I didnt see as being such a glaring issue but when you have an elite Center in Kopitar out there in critical scenarios it tends to expose that in a hurry.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Staal was a -2 last night for Buffalo, he would have looked like a frozen pylon out there with Kaprizov or Fiala…it’s only 1 game, so hopefully Johansson just had a bad game, I agree he played super soft (he always had) and was basically invisible out there last night…

The kings are one of the better draw teams in the league, Kotipar, Brown, Carter and Lizotte have good percentages.

It will be interesting to see if Suter, Johansson, Soucy and Bjugstad improve Saturday night because when they watch the tape from last night, it will be obvious to them they played bad.

gonefishin

I am the same as others. A hockey nut but don’t have the knowledge that lots of you on here have but this is the first thing I check out when checking out IDO. Same for the Twins thread. Very good reads with a lot of knowledge and insight.
    My thoughts, Suter is done. Never did like him even when first signed. To me if your a defenseman and can’t clear the front of the net, a big problem. Foligno was a beast last night and a very good re-signing. Really the only Wild player that can be counted on to throw his weight around since we had Clutterbuck. Wish Foligno was a defenseman.
    The new kid is going to be fun to watch, after a very long drought, finally an All-star on the Wild Team. He won’t get three points every game but his passing, ability to control the puck, even along the boards is amazing. Finally someone on the team that will put a scare in opposing goalies in a shoot out. He is heads and shoulders even above Fiala. Faceoffs will sink this team, wait until they play a good team.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I forgot to mention that Greenway had one of his best games for the Wild even though he didn’t get any points. He seemed to finally figure out that he’s 6’6″ out there….he absolutely destroyed some guys last night and used his frame to cause havoc in front of the net and along the boards. Dean even put him out there in OT, so that shows some trust in his game.

at least we can say our #3 line is legitimately one of the best #3 lines in the league…#4 line had some energy with Sturm and Hartman throwing their weight around, Rask ultimately getting promoted to #1C in the 3rd period…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My thoughts, Suter is done. Never did like him even when first signed. To me if your a defenseman and can’t clear the front of the net, a big problem

Suter’s skill set was never his physical play. It was his endurance and puck moving ability. For years he led the league in ice time as a defenseman or was close to it. That kind of endurance is remarkable. While he may be past his prime, I don’t think he’s “done” quite yet. It may be time to reduce his minutes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When Fiala has the puck it looks like he is way faster than everyone else. When Kaprizov has the puck it looks like everyone else is slower than him. I’m not sure if that makes sense but it seemed like he always had tons of time and space and was really under control of what was happening on the ice.

I understand and that is why I carefully chose my words using agile and quick, but purposely left out fast.

AnotherFisherman

I don’t have any long insightful post to make. Thanks guys for your input, great reads!

All I will say is that was very entertaining! I missed Wild Hockey. Kirill the Thrill is For Real. Good liner out of LaPanta after the GW goal. Fiala still looks really good.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

think getting the rust off against a crappy team was good. I am pretty sure we just saw the worst from a lot of our players last night. Johanson will be better. Bjugstad coming off a significant injury and surgery will be better it may just take these guys a bit. Its easy to forget we had a truncated training camp and no preseason and just thrust right into actual games. This is not easy.

Totally agree. It’s a little early to hit the panic button, even though I’m sure Dean was tempted to grab the bench phone about the middle of the 2nd period and enquire as to the health of Rossi…

Everyone knew going in that the center situation was going to be an issue, so not really a surprise that in game 1, it didn’t look great. And since the faceoff win issue was also well discussed before the season even started, my guess is it’s a major focus area in practice.

Hopefully, things get better. Bjugstad, for one, I can’t believe is playing as well as he’s capable of.

Also, Rossi IS still an option if he gets healthy, correct? I thought I read the Wild can activate him for something like 6 games at any time during the season if that’s correct?

Also, the ice last night in LA was absolutely terrible. It made both teams look even worse as they were constantly hitting obvious soft spots where the puck would just stop. Look at the replay of the players constantly poking the puck ahead when it stops in mid-stride or having to reach back to grab it.

Short season but still a long way to go.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rossi can play 6 NHL games BEFORE the 1st year of his contract kicks in (similar to the normal year 10 game trial period, just shortened for this COVID season)

I heard (unconfirmed) the issue is with his shoulder that was tweaked at the WJC and that he will be fine (again unconfirmed) but I really want to hear this from Russo or the team, if it is so, expect him back when healthy. The only other option for him to play is in the Swiss league (which isn’t a good league) so I fully expect the Wild to either play him in the NHL or put him on the Taxi squad when healthy. Placing him on IR means he has to miss I beleive 10 games before he could come back, so I would expect a better update after we play 6-7 games.

CaptainMusky

Also, Rossi IS still an option if he gets healthy, correct? I thought I read the Wild can activate him for something like 6 games at any time during the season if that’s correct?

Grouse

Correct, Rossi can play 6 games this season. Its a prorated number due to the shortened season from 10 I believe in a regular season. I am starting to get concerned that we havent heard anything further about his injury/status.
    I sure hope I get decent cell phone reception on LOW this weekend so I can watch the game on my FSN app.
    Suter did not play well and its kind of surprising because he usually comes prepared. He has never been a flashy player and he got burned a couple times which seems to be a trend since his injury. Its like he gets crossed up when transitioning from skating backwards to forwards and pivots the wrong way. That is what happened on one of the goals. Dumba didnt help either by not covering his man.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Dumba didnt help either by not covering his man.

OK, but in Dumba’s defense, he was causing mayhem on the power play. He had a pipe clanker and 2 of his shots sent garbage rebounds off of Quick that were just laying there waiting for someone to take out the trash.

The other reason I love a big shot like Dumba is it clearly affects the other team’s PPK. Yep, you can square up and block ’em, but you’re going to feel the pain and they know it.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

Agreed, other than that one particular play with Suter on that goal Dumba was noticeable in a positive way last night. Good to have him look like he did prior to the injury.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dumba is always good for a few turnovers and defensive gaffs per game, but that’s countered with a huge shot and offensive pedigree, he will always be this way, it’s just the game he plays. Just like Brodin would rather dump the puck in vs make a rush into the offensive zone.

Suter has been so solid the past 6-7 years that when he does play a bad game it really stands out, let’s see how he and the other Vets respond next game, if we start to see a pattern, then we (and likely Wild management) can start to worry…

I didn’t realize there’s like 100+ consecutive nights of hockey over the next several months, how awesome is that!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Common Man Dan Cole on KFAN is calling this guy Gaborik 2.0

Krill the Thrill, Gaborik 2.0, whats next

Ripjiggen

Yeah I don’t think Suter is done. He had a pretty good year last year and you don’t just fall off that drastically. I’m not sure how long they will keep him paired with Dumba however. He might need his nookie spurgeon to play alongside him.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Common Man Dan Cole on KFAN is calling this guy Gaborik 2.0

Yeah, please don’t bring Gaborik into this.

Grouse

Ripjiggen

Only one game but better all around game than Gaborik.

tswoboda

Yeah I don’t think Suter is done. He had a pretty good year last year and you don’t just fall off that drastically. I’m not sure how long they will keep him paired with Dumba however. He might need his nookie spurgeon to play alongside him.

Suter’s certainly not done, but this year is finally the official changing of the guard at #1D. Spurgeon has been the better player for a couple years now but Suter still got significantly more ice time and was a constant on PP1. Spurgeon is taking that role from Suter this year.

I think Suter/Dumba played together the year Dumba was lighting it up and got hurt. Last year they started that way but were brutal. Hopefully they can continue with these D pairings and both Spurgeon and Brodin can get more involved with the offense. They will be the consensus first pairing.

I’m seriously looking forward to watching Doughty be terrible 7 more times this year – I can’t stand that guy and his game has fallen off a cliff.

CaptainMusky

I’m seriously looking forward to watching Doughty be terrible 7 more times this year – I can’t stand that guy and his game has fallen off a cliff.

And all the “experts” still keep considering him one of the best D men in the league while Spurgeon gets very little mention. On NHL Network really the only one who ever brings him up is Mike Rupp.
    Boudreau is on the NHL Network cast now and he is so great to listen to. Unfortunately they had games leading up to the Wild game on NHL Network it would have been interesting to hear what he said about the Wild.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Suter’s certainly not done…

If we didn’t have Suter, then we’d have to replace him with another overpaid, lazy, slow-skating, plodding, offensively-challenged, minute-hog, locker room cancer d-man.

Otherwise, MN “fans” would have nothing to complain about. Suter is dang near an essential employee in Minnesota.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

If we didn’t have Suter, then we’d have to replace him with another overpaid, lazy, slow-skating, plodding, offensively-challenged, minute-hog, locker room cancer d-man.

Otherwise, MN “fans” would have nothing to complain about. Suter is dang near an essential employee in Minnesota.

Grouse

He certainly is the target of a lot of fans angst that is for sure. I was pretty impressed that he actually was one of the first to text KK97 when he got here and he invited him to his house and KK was playing with his kids on their backyard pond and one of Suter’s daughters fell through. It was only a couple feet deep.

Ripjiggen

Grouse

Finished 9th in pts for defensmen last season. 2nd on the team. 13th in Time on Ice for defensemen. 14th highest paid defensemen.whistling Just sayin!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Finished 9th in pts for defensmen last season. 2nd on the team. 13th in Time on Ice for defensemen. 14th highest paid defensemen. Just sayin!

Well there you go bringing stats and logic into it…

There is just something about Suter’s composure, body language, facial expression, and quiet demeanor that drives some “fans” crazy. They want a screamer and if you’re going to get the money Suter gets, you’d damn well better BE a screamer.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

Suter’s certainly not done, but this year is finally the official changing of the guard

That was a great point about the changing of the guard, you can see that happening with the team as most of the old guard has been traded away and those still on the team are no longer the focal points. This is Fiala/Kaprizov (hard to say after only 1 game but still) and Spurgeon/Brodin’s team, it will go as far as they can take it, they are the pieces everything else is built around from now on. I’m sure this is quite clear to Parise and Suter and if they have a problem with that, they can go to BillyG and lift their NTC and move on to somewhere else, if they don’t want to do that, then they need to get in line behind these guys and support them on and off the ice.

basseyes

KK is fun to watch and pumps some much needed life and passion into this organization.

tswoboda

Grouse

Yeah I didn’t mean that as a dig at Suter or negative in any way. I have always appreciated his game and still do. I just meant that after 8 straight years of being on PP1 and playing 5 minutes more a night than any other defensemen; he’s finally passing the torch. And it’s really not about his play, just that there’s other really good defensemen on the team who aren’t 35 years old.

I’m guessing the top 4 D will be pretty even in minutes this year and it will probably change each night depending on PP/PK time and if they’re protecting a lead or chasing a lead.

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.