2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• tswoboda

Florida Panthers just said publicly today they are moving away from Keith Yandle, there opens a large defense hole in their team…just sayin…

What a weird situation that is, I have to believe it was Fenton’s idea. Yandle will be tough to unload so do they use Barkov to get that done? The wild absolutely cannot take that contact on. Also, the Fenton’s love Boldy.

Barkov is a shootout and quote machine. “Most underrated player” in the NHL for like 5 years in a row.

CaptainMusky

What a weird situation that is, I have to believe it was Fenton’s idea. Yandle will be tough to unload so do they use Barkov to get that done? The wild absolutely cannot take that contact on. Also, the Fenton’s love Boldy.

Barkov is a shootout and quote machine. “Most underrated player” in the NHL for like 5 years in a row.

I completely forgot that Fenton was there now. Hmmm. The plot thickens.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Florida has capspace to retain some salary if needed…

How about this for a bonkers idea, Trade Fiala and other pieces for him? You know Fenton will push for Fiala! I know we all love Fiala, but if it could lead to Barkov would you do it?

Would we even have capspace for a #1 center in the future if you spend a ton on resigning Fiala and Kaprizov long term?

Ripjiggen

Really weird situation there. Have not found a reason that he has “fallen out of favor” in Florida. He is fully protected so they can’t do much with him without his say except make him a healthy scratch. Which I do not understand how that would make your team better at all.
    He has some term and money left on his contract but dang he is pretty consistent player and has played 866 straight game.

Florida GM makes it sound like they have filled his position already so not sure they would be looking for another D-man.

Ripjiggen

Florida has capspace to retain some salary if needed…

How about this for a bonkers idea, Trade Fiala and other pieces? You know Fenton will push for Fiala! I know we all love Fiala, but if it could lead to Barkov would you do it?

Would we even have capspace for a #1 center in the future if you spend a ton on resigning Fiala and Kaprizov long term?

Like stated earlier their cap pie is way out of whack. I think one of you d-men has to be part of a trade for a center to make sense. Especially financially for the future.

JoeMX1825
    MN

From a capspace/money perspective:

Florida has $12.25 tied up in Barkov and Yandle, Dumba gets that down to $6.25, Fiala gets it down to $3.25, the rest could be settled with other Wild players/prospects thrown in or some retained salary.

Again this is all wishful thinking, but it’s fun!

tswoboda

Really weird situation there. Have not found a reason that he has “fallen out of favor” in Florida. He is fully protected so they can’t do much with him without his say except make him a healthy scratch. Which I do not understand how that would make your team better at all.
    He has some term and money left on his contract but dang he is pretty consistent player and has played 866 straight game.

Florida GM makes it sound like they have filled his position already so not sure they would be looking for another D-man.

I just can’t wrap my head around how this situation materialized and what would make Florida treat him like that. Older but still productive assistant captain with an untradeable contract. Healthy scratching him indefinitely only makes it worse for the organization. It’s almost a direct equivalent to if the Wild would just tell Parise he is done playing and can sit in the press box until they trade him or the contract expires.

tswoboda

From a capspace/money perspective:

Florida has $12.25 tied up in Barkov and Yandle, Dumba gets that down to $6.25, Fiala gets it down to $3.25, the rest could be settled with other Wild players/prospects thrown in or some retained salary.

Again this is all wishful thinking, but it’s fun!

Love the hypothetical “who says no” trade game. Yandle and Barkov also both have NMC so that would lock up 7 of the 8 protected slots with NMC players… that’s gotta be a record.

JoeMX1825
    MN

if Dumba or Fiala would be part of the trade, they would have been protected anyways…

Again it’s wishful thinking, but there’s smoke (with Barkov wanting out) and fire (Yandle’s situation) so maybe you help put out both for Florida? Keep in mind to, giving up Dumba and Fiala is a big deal from our side too…Dumba was always seen as the real only path to getting a center (and it would balance out our capspace) and Fiala is the piece you don’t want to give up due to his potential, but 25 year old superstar #1 centers are cheap…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I just can’t wrap my head around how this situation materialized and what would make Florida treat him like that. Older but still productive assistant captain with an untradeable contract. Healthy scratching him indefinitely only makes it worse for the organization. It’s almost a direct equivalent to if the Wild would just tell Parise he is done playing and can sit in the press box until they trade him or the contract expires.

Exactly…Don’t see how straight up benching him helps in negotiations to try and move him, but maybe if he is not playing he will waive his NTC. I dunno weird situation.

CaptainMusky

I am not sure I am ready to part with Fiala yet. I understand you have to give something good to get something good in return, but we dont have much of a position of strength up front to part with possibly our best piece would be hard for me to do at this stage.
    I understand he and KK are going to require LT deals and if Fiala keeps up his strong play he is going to be a big dollar player. I dont know if we have enough in the prospect pool coming that could hopefully fulfill what he is now giving us and would into the future.
    I’d be cool with the Boldy/Dumba plus type deal for Barkov, but I will need some more convincing to send Fiala packing. I mean the ink from my Fiala trampstamp hasnt even dried yet!

tswoboda

So the taxi squad looks to be Belpedio, Bartkowski, Mermis, Johnson, Rau, and Hammond. I thought Mayhew was supposed to be on it instead of Mermis but Capfriendly lists the 3D and 2F above.

How much is life going to suck for these guys over the next four months. They are getting paid their AHL salary to basically get bag skated everyday and are kept relatively separate from the team. They don’t get any game action in Iowa but will get thrust into the NHL lineup after not playing a game for up to 12 months and expected to produce. Then once the injured/unavailable player comes back there is the real chance they get plucked off waivers. Not to mention they get to do of all this while living and travelling in their own mini bubble.

This might be the one exception where I actually feel kinda bad for a professional athlete.

CaptainMusky

Then once the injured/unavailable player comes back there is the real chance they get plucked off waivers. Not to mention they get to do of all this while living and travelling in their own mini bubble.

Is that really the case if they get called up off the taxi squad and the other player returns? I dont like that at all! I thought the premise was those players were “protected” and couldnt be snatched up. If its like you describe that is terrible.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Then once the injured/unavailable player comes back there is the real chance they get plucked off waivers. Not to mention they get to do of all this while living and travelling in their own mini bubble.

Is that really the case if they get called up off the taxi squad and the other player returns? I dont like that at all! I thought the premise was those players were “protected” and couldnt be snatched up. If its like you describe that is terrible.

The taxi squad is no different than being assigned to the AHL, meaning eligible players need to clear waivers when sent from the NHL to the taxi squad. The only real difference is instead of playing actual games in the AHL they stay with the NHL club and get bag skated in separate practices.

CaptainMusky

The taxi squad is no different than being assigned to the AHL, meaning eligible players need to clear waivers when sent from the NHL to the taxi squad. The only real difference is instead of playing actual games in the AHL they stay with the NHL club and get bag skated in separate practices.

Makes sense I guess, I was just thinking they were like an extension of the NHL roster.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sure is nice to see Kathryn Tappen again! Hockey is back!!

CaptainMusky

She is so good! I like this crew now that Milburry is gone.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Penguins take the loss, we’ll take 55 more of those!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Many analysts have them missing the playoffs. There’s 5 good teams in the east – Boston, Philly, Washington, NYI, and Pittsburgh. Someone is going to be left out and the majority seem to think it’s the Pens. I’d be perfectly fine with that.

The Flyers are good. They were on fire last March before the season was paused.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Many analysts have them missing the playoffs. There’s 5 good teams in the east – Boston, Philly, Washington, NYI, and Pittsburgh. Someone is going to be left out and the majority seem to think it’s the Pens. I’d be perfectly fine with that.

they will need to score 5-6 goals a night to win, their team defense is terrible.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

they’re going to need to score 5-6 goals a night to win, their team defense is terrible.

I think they finally found a long term solution in goal though.

Ripjiggen

So here is a scenario to debate. Does Rossi even play a game for the wild this season. With no training camp and not many games at WJC and now he is injured, the wild have till basically a week from Sunday to decide if they want to burn a contract year on him. In basically a year that is going to go down as one of the strangest in nhl history. Do they send him back to his club for another year? And not burn a entry level contract year that in three years they may desperately need.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just realized teams are playing 2-3 consecutive games against the same team throughout the season. I wonder if there will be an uptick in chippy, physical games.

CaptainMusky

So here is a scenario to debate. Does Rossi even play a game for the wild this season. With no training camp and not many games at WJC and now he is injured, the wild have till basically a week from Sunday to decide if they want to burn a contract year on him. In basically a year that is going to go down as one of the strangest in nhl history. Do they send him back to his club for another year? And not burn a entry level contract year that in three years they may desperately need.

If able, Rossi will play whatever games he can before that date otherwise he will just be loaned back is my guess.

CaptainMusky

I just realized teams are playing 2-3 consecutive games against the same team throughout the season. I wonder if there will be an uptick in chippy, physical games.

There have been multiple fights already it’s only going to get more contested. This will definitely breed some new rivalries I think.

tswoboda

It’s any 6 games that he plays in, not the first 6 games for the team. He should get a 6 game stint at some point during the season.

JoeMX1825
    MN

We need to know what the heck is wrong with him first…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There have been multiple fights already it’s only going to get more contested. This will definitely breed some new rivalries I think.

I believe the primary reason for this is to reduce travel.

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.