2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

Wild fans would lose their minds if we had a guy who got 78 and 96 pts in consecutive years and then in the 60’s in a shortened season? Wow. I dont know how FLA would send him, but if something like that works out Id consider it but I would like to see what Boldy can do. I dont think he’s 1C material, but solid 2 or 3 for sure IMO. His stock seems to be rising the last year and change. He’s dedicated himself now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m projecting 1-2 years out…not bad for a franchise who’s never picked higher than #3 overall and that 1 selection was our franchises best ever..I mean we could be Columbus…our franchises were really behind the 8-ball coming into the league with the joke of an expansion draft we got to build from…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild fans would lose their minds if we had a guy who got 78 and 96 pts in consecutive years and then in the 60’s in a shortened season? Wow. I dont know how FLA would send him, but if something like that works out Id consider it but I would like to see what Boldy can do. I dont think he’s 1C material, but solid 2 or 3 for sure IMO. His stock seems to be rising the last year and change. He’s dedicated himself now.

Boldy’s a left handed winger, is he going to slot above Fiala and Kaprizov? not likely, yes he could play off wing but is that preferred?…I like him as a prospect, but to get a player like Barkov, you gotta give up top talent…honestly I don’t even think Dumba + Boldy is close to enough, would likely need to include a 1st rounder too maybe even more.

BUT

Barkov solves your #1 Center problem, he’s uber skillful, only 25 years old and has another year at only $5.9 million. I’ve heard rumblings he doesn’t like playing in Florida so perhaps he’s a legit #1 center that might be attainable…He’s a UFA in 2 years though so you’d need to back the Brinks truck up then and likely need to make him one of the top paid players in the league.

CaptainMusky

I know its almost like the NHL should do CBJ and MIN a solid and allow them to pick a player from every team or steal picks as reparations. -)
    Hopefully MN doesnt make a big mistake again with the SEA draft looming. Here is a question I have and I had tried researching it, but didnt really find a definitive answer. We all know that players on NMC, etc have to be protected and you can choose the two different models to protect your lineup, but is there a minimum number of players under contract that are required at the time of the expansion draft? I mean, the Wild have so many expiring contracts there will not be a whole lot to choose from no?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Expansion Draft Rules for Seattle:
    Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team’s applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team’s protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team’s player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

…but is there a minimum number of players under contract that are required at the time of the expansion draft? I mean, the Wild have so many expiring contracts there will not be a whole lot to choose from no?

I think the problem is in the timing. If the contracts are expired then the player can sign with anyone. So I’d think this would be the double whammy, you’d be risking losing players you’d rather keep by exposing them not just to the expansion, but to every team in the league.

Once again, the weakness in the Wild’s chain of failure GMs is going to bite us in the buttski. Idiot Paul Fenton’s signing of Zuccarello to an overpaid contract PLUS a NMC means MN is one seat on the bus short and we will lose a very valuable player because of Fenton’s incompetence. Even if the Wild do manage to trade a player like Dumba, we will not get full value because every GM in the league has us over a barrel because they know we have no choice, trade him or get nothing for him.

From what I’ve read, other than from MN, Seattle is not going to get the easy ride that Cup Team in a Box got. Teams are going to be WAY smarter and the new strategy that seems to be emerging is to expose high salary players and basically try to cap space Seattle into a corner where they have to pass desirable players for lack of cap space or out of fear of setting up cap problems down the road.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    …but is there a minimum number of players under contract that are required at the time of the expansion draft? I mean, the Wild have so many expiring contracts there will not be a whole lot to choose from no?

I think the problem is in the timing. If the contracts are expired then the player can sign with anyone. So I’d think this would be the double whammy, you’d be risking losing players you’d rather keep by exposing them not just to the expansion, but to every team in the league.

Once again, the weakness in the Wild’s chain of failure GMs is going to bite us in the buttski. Idiot Paul Fenton’s signing of Zuccarello to an overpaid contract PLUS a NMC means MN is one seat on the bus short and we will lose a very valuable player because of Fenton’s incompetence. Even if the Wild do manage to trade a player like Dumba, we will not get full value because every GM in the league has us over a barrel because they know we have no choice, trade him or get nothing for him.

From what I’ve read, other than from MN, Seattle is not going to get the easy ride that Cup Team in a Box got. Teams are going to be WAY smarter and the new strategy that seems to be emerging is to expose high salary players and basically try to cap space Seattle into a corner where they have to pass desirable players for lack of cap space or out of fear of setting up cap problems down the road.

The problem with that strategy is that typically any high salary player already has a NTC/NMC

CaptainMusky

Based on that it looks like Rask, Greenway will be the only Forwards under contract for next year. Dumba and Soucy on D and all 3 of the goalies. If we trade Dumba, expose Soucy and lose him, I wouldnt be too disappointed. I like him, but who would they take otherwise? Certainly not Rask, Greenway could be a possibility. Trading Dumba and losing Soucy would certainly leave openings for a potential Mennell return and Addison/Belpedio.
    In retrospect Mennell going to KHL was genius for him. I was disappointed at the time, but he’s raising his value and playing big minutes where he wouldnt have even started here yet.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rask would only have a year left on his term and would give them a Center, I wouldn’t rule him out, if they don’t take him, the Wild would buy him out. From what I’ve read the consensus is that Soucy or Greenway would likely get taken, that might even be with Dumba protected?

tswoboda

The Wild are actually set up really well for expansion this time around – not sure if that’s a good a bad thing. Complete opposite situation of the VGK xpac draft where they were going to lose no matter what they did. It was either lose their #1C (who scored 42 goals the next season), lose their #3/4D, or lose #3C RFA & a prospect.

Dumba will NOT be exposed to Seattle
    They will go 8 skaters, not 7F/3D
    Zero percent chance Suter/Parise waive their NMC
    Zuccarello might waive – it’s not exactly working for him in MN and he might want the potential change of scenery
    Kahkonen will be the protected goalie

My guess is Seattle takes Greenway. If Zuccarello waives his NMC then they protect Greenway and Soucy is taken.

They only have 7 expansion eligible forwards on the roster right now, that’s assuming Rask plays 27+ games and Hartman is tendered a qualifying offer. They literally could not do the 5F/3D option without extending pending UFAs. Even with the 4F/4D option they will have to either play Rask in 27 games or tender Hartman a QO.

Idiot Paul Fenton’s signing of Zuccarello to an overpaid contract PLUS a NMC means MN is one seat on the bus short and we will lose a very valuable player because of Fenton’s incompetence. Even if the Wild do manage to trade a player like Dumba, we will not get full value because every GM in the league has us over a barrel because they know we have no choice, trade him or get nothing for him.

Little dramatic for my taste but you’re right. Zuccarello has quickly turned into the worst signing in Wild history. It’s a completely different situation now but the Wild could have signed Granlund AND Haula to cheap 1 year deals this offseason if they didn’t have Zuccarello.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Foligno just signed for 3 more years at $3.1 million per….I don’t know, that’s alot for a 3rd/4th line guy who’s career high is 25 points…

tswoboda

Foligno just signed for 3 more years at $3.1 million per….I don’t know, that’s alot for a 3rd/4th line guy who’s career high is 25 points…

Good term, $0.5m-$1.0m too much per year.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Little dramatic for my taste but you’re right. Zuccarello has quickly turned into the worst signing in Wild history. It’s a completely different situation now but the Wild could have signed Granlund AND Haula to cheap 1 year deals this offseason if they didn’t have Zuccarello.

Dramatic? I don’t think so. The guy was GM for 1 year and he bungled his way to (by far) the worst signing in Wild history.

The dramatic thing is that Feckless Fenton had a LOT of competition for the dubious distinction of worst signing. Remember that totally awesome Hanzel trade? Wow. Giving away an R1, R2, and CR3 pick for a rental. It took a real hot, steaming, stinker to outdo THAT horsesh!t deal, but Fenton rose to the occasion.

And this doesn’t even get to the string of epic R1 draft fails brought to us by Riseboro. In fact, these draft fails were probably what set the club back more than any one single deal.

In MN fans blame everything on the players. IMO the Wild players have outperformed what could reasonably be expected while pulling against their own GM incompetence for over a decade now. Gurin is set to easily be the best GM in Wild history, but we are still saddled with the terrible bungling of past GMs and will be for years into the future.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Good term, $0.5m-$1.0m too much per year.

I was hoping for $2.5 per if they wanted to resign him, it’s also a pretty tradable contract if needed down the road. I like him as a player, just worried he’s overpaid for what he actually produces on the ice…if the cap goes up in a few years it’s probably not so bad…I just saw there’s not a NTC included in the deal

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I love it. The season hasn’t started and you guys have 2 pages spent on deadline trades and the expansion draft. coffee

CaptainMusky

I don’t think it’s too far out of line it’s only 200k higher than Brodziak was paid when he played here and I think Foligno brings more intangibles but certainly not a worse player imo and that was how many years ago?

tswoboda

I don’t think it’s too far out of line it’s only 200k higher than Brodziak was paid when he played here and I think Foligno brings more intangibles but certainly not a worse player imo and that was how many years ago?

That’s a good comparable player, biggest difference is Brodziak was a center. That was also almost 10 years ago when the cap was like $10m lower, so it’s almost the same cap percentage.

Foligno is definitely an important player on the team, it’s just that the top teams in the league have roll players like that on $1m-$2m contracts. I.E. Pat Maroon.

Ripjiggen

Wow I tuned out for a couple hours and I missed two pages. lol
    Yes the fleece comment I made was in regards to Muskie not Joe. I was just trying to temper expectations as far as returns on these UFA as they will not net much except for some late round picks and those are dicey at best. As TSW pointed out the amount of 1 year UFA deals are at an all time high this year. It’s also not likely the will dump all of the UFA’s. One maybe two. I know I know KK was a fifth rounder but also slid way down because nobody knew at the time if he was going to come to the NHL ever. I think that is the exception not the norm. Plenty of late rounders make it but it’s also a crap shoot like most sports drafts.

Pug what else are we going to talk about before the season starts. It certainly isn’t our Stanley cup aspirations. It’s better than talking politics.lol
    Hopefully we can talk about KK scoring goals every night.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Foligno is definitely an important player on the team, it’s just that the top teams in the league have roll players like that on $1m-$2m contracts. I.E. Pat Maroon.

THIS is what I’ve been talking about for awhile, the 4th line guys need to be on minimum contracts, they are playing their a$$ off just to stay in the NHL, that’s their motivation…if you save a total of $3-4 million on your 4th line guys, that allows $3-4 million upgrade for an actual impact player…

Ripjiggen

That’s a good comparable player, biggest difference is Brodziak was a center. That was also almost 10 years ago when the cap was like $10m lower, so it’s almost the same cap percentage.

The top teams also don’t spend near the money the wild do on defensemen.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I love it. The season hasn’t started and you guys have 2 pages spent on deadline trades and the expansion draft. coffee

itching for the season to start! Talking about this stuff helps gets me through the COVID lockdown madness with 2 young kids running around the house…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Once Dumba is traded this will get back to normal…but yes right now it’s lopsided…Dumba WILL BE traded for some kind of center, no way around it…

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Once Dumba is traded this will get back to normal…but yes right now it’s lopsided…Dumba WILL BE traded for some kind of center, no way around it…

Agree their salary cap pie is out of balance.

Russo commented multiple times this summer offseason that Foligno would not sign an extension until he knew Dumba was traded and he could be protected in expansion.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Yes that will help and has been talked about a lot but also just talk. Even without Dumba, not many teams are still paying there top 3 like the wild are except maybe San Jose and they are not necessarily the model to follow. Most of the better NHL teams are paying their third guy 4.5mill or less.
    I guess they can get away with it now when you are paying a back up goalie to be your starter.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Florida Panthers just said publicly today they are moving away from Keith Yandle, there opens a large defense hole in their team…just sayin…

JoeMX1825
    MN

The thing about that contract though is that Brodziak had just produced 32, 37, 44 consecutive point seasons while playing in 244 of 246 possible games, he then was rewarded with that 3 year contract extension at $2.83 per season playing a crucial Center position. Much greater production for the $, yes there’s probably some differences in who each played with, how much ice time they got, etc, bottom line we need to hope Foligno starts putting up some 30+ point seasons to justify that cost in a flat cap era. I also think this makes him a selection target for the expansion draft, my guess is that this season is basically an audition for Greenway to prove he belongs on this team moving forward and whomever the Wild projects better between Greenway and Foligno over the next few years, that’s the guy they end up protecting.

CaptainMusky

No disagreement at all. It would certainly be better if less money was tied in lower lines. BG made it known that they didnt sign him to lose him in the expansion draft so it will be interesting how this all plays out. I think his production will actually increase this year. Greenway is certainly in a prove it situation right now. Sounds like he dropped some weight which is a sign he dedicated himself a bit more.
    Regarding the FLA and Yandle on the outs, that is interesting as I read that yesterday. If BG can pull something off to get Barkov here that would be unreal. Really would shore up that top line I just dont know how FLA would part with him even though Ive heard the same rumblings that he may not be real happy there. Hmm

JoeMX1825
    MN

I get the feeling BillyG wants to do something BIG with regards to getting a #1 Center. He could have made trades for a center (outside of Bonino who he knows he can easily flip at the deadline) the past year but has held off sofar, but he is still adamant it’s this franchises #1 need, I mean my god look at our Center options we’re going with this year!

It will likely take overpaying a bit, but I say shock the world and get it done BillyG!! otherwise we’ll stay in the “hope” phase that Rossi can be that guy in a few years..

Barkov is likely the best option out there, for those not familiar with him – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwa–fAR100

CaptainMusky

Yeah, swing for the fences I agree. We have been stuck in this rut for so long, screw the status quo and “hockey trades”. He’s already put a grenade through the lockerroom now lets put some nice fixtures back in there. You want to put some highly skilled pieces together to see what we really have in Fiala and KK. Rossi will come in time, lets not put it all on him to push him too early. Still no word on his injury. Hmm

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah, swing for the fences I agree. We have been stuck in this rut for so long, screw the status quo and “hockey trades”. He’s already put a grenade through the lockerroom now lets put some nice fixtures back in there. You want to put some highly skilled pieces together to see what we really have in Fiala and KK. Rossi will come in time, lets not put it all on him to push him too early. Still no word on his injury. Hmm

Cheers

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.