2021 MN Vikings Thread

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m just not sure it’s as dire as some think.

I agree. Week 1 was just sloppy with all those penalties and that turnover. That seems to have been corrected.

The problem is that teams who start 0-2 almost never make the post season. Its like less than 10%.

stout93
    Becker MN

Well only 1 or 2 were drafted with the intention of starting immediately. The main one, Darrisaw, has been injured, and Wyatt Davis is backing up Oli Udoh who has been playing very well. OL has been a pleasant surprise for the most part. Cousins has been on a tear as well. Defense has a long way to go, especially on the corners.

I didn’t say that none of the 11 STARTED. I said they didn’t even play one down. So I guess we’re so stacked at all positions, we don’t need rookies to come in and play.

My point of the post was to say that it doesn’t really say alot for the current regime (Rick and Zim) that they had to go out and get a crapload of FAs and their rookie class can’t even get on the field for an 0-2 team that will probably finish with 7-8 wins again.

I think this is the last year for both of them..if they make it through the year.

Sure if you just look at it at face value, that looks bad. But when you look at the players/situations, it’s pretty understandable.

Darrisaw- Out Injured
    Kellen Mond- Backup/development QB
    Chazz Surratt- Backup to Nick Vigil, who had a pretty good game. Surratt also was banged up week 1, so that may have been part of the reason he didn’t dress this week.
    Wyatt Davis- Oli Udoh’s backup
    Patrick Jones- Backing up Hunter/Wonnum/Weatherly
    Kene Nwangu- On IR and backup to Dalvin/Mattison
    Camryn Bynum- Back up to 2 of the highest rated safeties
    Janarius Robinson- IR, backup to Hunter/Wonnum/Weatherly
    Smith-Marsette- Starting Kick Returner
    Zach Davidson- Cut
    Jaylen Twyman- Cut

Of course if you use this same logic for the 2020 draft, they look like superheroes! Jet Jefferson, Gladney (likely starter before he ruined his life), Ezra Cleveland (starting and looking good), Dantzler (likely starter soon over Breeland), Round 4 DJ Wonnum (starting and looking good), Lynch (serviceable backup), Troy Dye (serviceable backup, and special teams stud), Harrison Hand (serviceable backup, and special teams stud), and KJ Osborn WR3. That’s 9 for 9 off talent, and 8 for 9 if you take Gladney’s dumba$$ off.

Zimmer needs to be better at in game management, and Spielman needs to be willing to move up in the draft too, but they are both vast improvements over what we have had previously going all the way back to Denny Green imo.

[/quote]

Vast majority of those players you mention that are “playing well” or “looking good” are just ‘guys’….every team has guys like this. They’re nothing more than average. For example. DJ Wonnum. There’s probably 35 defensive ends that are better than him. Yeah, he’s in his second year and no way would be starting on a decent team. In fact, outside of Jefferson, none of the players in your post would be even close to starting on a decent team. This team is nothing more than average, if that.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Who is that team out on the field today?
    Can’t be the Vikings Because The Vikings would have figured out a way to lose this one

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great win but for me it magnifies the the two losses. The coulda shoulda woulda game.
    Offense looked fantastic and that’s w/o Smith Jr & Cook.

Ripjiggen

Kurt looked fantastic…Has the first three weeks.

ThunderLund78

There’s only so much “SUCK” IN Minnesota and this week the Gophers took it all. Can’t rip the Vikes this week. And trust me, I would. But it was a complete game in all 3 phases. Fun game to watch, love to see Pete Carroll lose. Can’t stand that guy.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Great news……
    The MN Vikings won’t be the first team in the NFL to go 0-17…….

This year. 🤷‍♂️ waytogo whistling

AnotherFisherman

I was able to make it to the game yesterday afternoon! There was a free Dustin Lynch concert prior to the game as well which was a VERY pleasant surprise.

Had a great time at the game and even better when the team plays so well! I’m with @Belletaine, magnifies the two losses that coulda/shoulda/woulda been wins. Skol vikes!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Vast majority of those players you mention that are “playing well” or “looking good” are just ‘guys’….every team has guys like this. They’re nothing more than average. For example. DJ Wonnum. There’s probably 35 defensive ends that are better than him. Yeah, he’s in his second year and no way would be starting on a decent team. In fact, outside of Jefferson, none of the players in your post would be even close to starting on a decent team. This team is nothing more than average, if that.

You started by complaining about none of this years draft seeing the field, I was just pointing out that the metric you were using would mean last years draft must be a great one since they have 9 guys out of that draft regularly on the field. And if DJ Wonnum is the 36th best DE in the league, that is a STEAL of a pick in the 4th round, to go with one of the best DE’s in the league, Hunter, who was a 3rd rounder. There’s 64 starting DE’s in the league, so getting top half of the league starters in rounds 3 and 4 would be pretty good, no?

Anyway that was a great game, offense is dialed in, kicker was perfect and hopefully the second half was a sign of things to come on defense. SKOL!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Kirk is playing fast and decisive and I think little Kubiak has called two of the best games play calling wise the Vikings have had in years.

Breeland is showing exactly who he was in Washington. Good tackler in the run game but can’t cover anybody.

Sylvanboat

Great news……

Chgo Bears may be the first team to go 1-16. The entire mgmt should be blown up up after yesterday’s catastrophe.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>
    Great news……

Chgo Bears may be the first team to go 1-16. The entire mgmt should be blown up up after yesterday’s catastrophe.

Saw the Bears finished with 1 net passing yard (passing yards less sack yardage) shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Gotta be careful anointing a rookie (Fields) as the second coming. He’s just a quarterback, don’t see him being any better than Goff, Bridgewater and some others. He certainly isn’t a top 10 quarterback.

Ripjiggen

Remember when everyone was pissed vikes didn’t move up to get him. I think Rookie quarterbacks are fragile. They need to be put in the right situations to succeed and that may not even be enough. They tried one pass attempt in the whole first quarter. How is a rookie QB in his first start going to get into any sort of rhythm let alone a vet QB with one pass attempt the whole first quarter.

Dutch
    Most rookie QB’s are not top ten QB’s early on. Not even the greats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you read anything in the Chicago papers they believe Fields will lead them to the promised land. My point is he is just a guy, he hasn’t shown anything to anybody to this point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The announcers during yesterday’s game seemed to think that if the Vikings were 2-1 or 3-0, Cousins would be the front runner for MVP.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Cousins is playing awesome. Has all year, and anyone thinking otherwise hasn’t watched much this year. He’s been a decent QB his whole time with the Vikes. Not a Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, etc. but there have been a lot of elements of the team that have sucked during his span, so him not being able to “win when it counts” hasn’t been all on him.

My hot take is that part of the reason the offense hummed so much and Kubiak called such a smooth, good game was that Dalvin was out. While they have a good running game, for years the mentality they’ve been stuck in has hurt them. Run on 1st down. If it’s 2nd and 6 or less…run again. Yesterday they kept the Seahawks on their toes. Even the passing game seemed to feature routes just a few yards deeper. For years the Vikes have featured offenses where on 3rd-and-9 they complete a million 7-yard hitch, comeback, or stop routes and don’t get the first down. Seemed better yesterday.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What’s everyone’s take on Dantzler riding the pine? Breeland was brought in as a free agent, and hasn’t been playing well. I know Dantzler was a rookie last year and had some really good games, and some bad ones. The fact that he hasn’t seen the field or at least been extremely limited has me wondering why. Poor training camp? Disagreement with coaching staff? I figured he’d have progressed in his sophomore season and been either starting or logging minutes in a rotation with Breeland. Any wild rumors and guesses appreciated.

CaptainMusky

Dantzler isnt helping himself by his comments on social media for sure. I have been surprised by his lack of involvement thus far. Breeland hasnt impressed me in the least. I think Peterson has just been meh, but its hard to know who is covering for who. Last year Smith didnt look good, but that was apparently because he kept making up for mistakes made by the corners.

stout93
    Becker MN

Guess it’s time for ole DB whisperer Zim and Spielman to take another CB in the first round…God knows they’ve done it enough times already..you’re bound to hit on one sooner or later..

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What’s everyone’s take on Dantzler riding the pine?

I don’t really get it at this point. Breeland was likely brought in with the agreement that he would get a chance to start, but his performance no longer justifies it. However, Dantzler has not played well in his limited playing time either, so add in his ego (he Tweeted some dumb stuff after this weekends game) and I think it’s likely an attitude issue that the coaching staff is trying to play tough against. Which is why Dantzler is currently listed 3rd on the depth chart behind Kris Boyd. But even if they don’t want to play Dantzler, Boyd or Hand should get some run imo. Both Boyd and Hand are some of the best special teamers, and have had a couple injuries. So I think Breeland still playing is a matter of lack of options and punitive toward Dantzler to try and teach a lesson.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I can’t take Zimmer’s defense anymore. I don’t even want to read threads about it.

Jensen

If you read anything in the Chicago papers they believe Fields will lead them to the promised land. My point is he is just a guy, he hasn’t shown anything to anybody to this point.

Peyton manning struggled big time his first year. Look where he ended up. HOF.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I can’t take Zimmer’s defense anymore. I don’t even want to read threads about it.

Just read about last weeks second half performance, and hope it’s trend and not a mirage!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dantzler seems like a kid that would drive Zimmer crazy on and off the field. I think his work habits and effort are why he doesn’t see the playing field. The way Breeland has played (which is exactly how he’s played his whole career) might actually get Dantzler a shot at starting soon.

stout93
    Becker MN

Dantzler seems like a kid that would drive Zimmer crazy on and off the field. I think his work habits and effort are why he doesn’t see the playing field. The way Breeland has played (which is exactly how he’s played his whole career) might actually get Dantzler a shot at starting soon.

Then why did they draft him? His attitude issues should have come out in their pre draft analysis. Same with Gladney. He was red flagged by some teams for off-field issues.

Baffling..

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Then why did they draft him? His attitude issues should have come out in their pre draft analysis. Same with Gladney. He was red flagged by some teams for off-field issues.

Baffling..

Dalvin Cook was red flagged prior to being drafted.
    That turned out pretty darn good.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I haven’t watched enough Vikings in the last couple of years to have a opinion on Dantzler or Gladney.

I just recall some guy named Moss who had attitude problems and they were overlooked for the most part. I think the difference is if you can play or you get burnt like a piece of toast.

The NFL is famous for looking the other way if you can pay.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Terrible game against the Browns. I don’t know how you March down the field opening drive and then go ice cold the entire game after that. They couldn’t do anything.

Stefanski beat Zimmer plain and simple.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Terrible game against the Browns. I don’t know how you March down the field opening drive and then go ice cold the entire game after that. They couldn’t do anything.

Stefanski beat Zimmer plain and simple.

Not defending Zimmer here but the browns do have a lot more talent then we do. They are the superior football team and they should have won the game. It would have been an upset if we had won.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.