2021 MN Vikings Thread

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

At least McDaniels is off the board going to Vegas. That was the only guy I wanted nothing to do with this team. Typical dysfunctional team like the Raiders picking that trash over Bisaccia who did a great job after Grudengate doah

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

At least McDaniels is off the board going to Vegas. That was the only guy I wanted nothing to do with this team. Typical dysfunctional team like the Raiders picking that trash over Bisaccia who did a great job after Grudengate doah

Apparently you have something against winning.

toddrun

Being head coach is different than being a coordinator. More of a cheerleader position, motivator, and have to be more people friendly. McDaniels crashed and burned his first time head coaching because he cannot deal with people. Maybe he learned from that, maybe he has not. Bellichek gets away with being a jerk, because they won for so long, but when they are not winning the primodonna players will turn on coaches like that.

That is the worry about Harbaugh, he is a self-righteous rule by fear coach. Works for a while, if winning, but turns really bad when not working.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Both the OC and the DC for the Rams are in the final four as a head coaching candidate for the Vikings.

Harbaugh has an in-person interview coming up as well. His first interview was remote.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m fine with Harbough. He has won just about everywhere he’s been and this club is going to need someone that has some experience IMO. I don’t think there are any obviously good choices here but most are unproven.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Being head coach is different than being a coordinator. More of a cheerleader position, motivator, and have to be more people friendly. McDaniels crashed and burned his first time head coaching because he cannot deal with people. Maybe he learned from that, maybe he has not. Bellichek gets away with being a jerk, because they won for so long, but when they are not winning the primodonna players will turn on coaches like that.

That is the worry about Harbaugh, he is a self-righteous rule by fear coach. Works for a while, if winning, but turns really bad when not working.

There is nothing new about first time coaches failing in the NFL. Many have. McDaniels will be just fine. His toughest thing will be overcoming those other quarterbacks, Mahomes & Herbert are pretty good. Carr isn’t in the same class. But he has one of the best kickers in football and the defense isn’t terrible so he has a chance.

Walleye Man42

I saw a thread on CBS Sports that if Harbaugh goes to the NFL that PJ Fleck would be a candidate for them. Do you think he would be a good fit for Michigan? It really sounds like Harbaugh wants to come back to the NFL.

the_hat
    SE Metro

I would think that’s PJ’s deckhands making noise for PJ.
    My guess is Luke Fickel in Cincinnati is on the real short list. They want to beat Ohio St. so who better to do it than an Ohio State guy.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I saw a thread on CBS Sports that if Harbaugh goes to the NFL that PJ Fleck would be a candidate for them. Do you think he would be a good fit for Michigan? It really sounds like Harbaugh wants to come back to the NFL.

Harbaugh is blocked where he is at and knows it. Ohio State will be better than them 9/10 years, and the CFP system is almost always going to place them against a superior opponent from the SEC. The “Rose Bowl” doesn’t carry the honor it once did when it’s not one of the semifinal games, and that’s ultimately their ceiling in most cases.

I think Harbaugh will be back in the NFL, but on his terms in a situation where he has substantial control. He’s going to want the key to all personnel decisions. I’m not sure MN will be that place…Miami would be my guess.

PJ’s crowd is constantly pounding them drums of him being next in-line for a great big-time college gig. Unfortunately for them they’re going to get tired of pounding, as nobody is listening.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Michigan is the oldest of old bloods in college football, and I don’t see PJ fitting in well there, but he’d definitely be a candidate. And he’d probably get another extension out of the deal if nothing else. Just the way it works in CFB. PJ would be better off here too, imo, much lower expectations and easier road to the Big 10 title game.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

PJ will never win a Big 10 championship, period. I doubt he gets in another title game if they do away with the divisions like I heard they might. He has the world right by the gonads here, making a ton of money with little to no expectations.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

PJ will never win a Big 10 championship, period. I doubt he gets in another title game if they do away with the divisions like I heard they might. He has the world right by the gonads here, making a ton of money with little to no expectations.

Lmao I was just waiting for Dutchboy to respond to this and sure enough there it is.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I’ve been listening to SKOR North the past few days on the Harbaugh situation. They say that he is not a “rule by fear” type of coach, like Zimmer, and is actually very team-oriented and good with his guys. He just apparently has a strong personality when it comes to the media and upper management.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve been listening to SKOR North the past few days on the Harbaugh situation. They say that he is not a “rule by fear” type of coach, like Zimmer, and is actually very team-oriented and good with his guys. He just apparently has a strong personality when it comes to the media and upper management.

I’d put Harbaugh at the top of my list, and there’s not a close second. He was 44-19 as an NFL coach, made the NFC title game 3 out of 4 years, and rebuilt Stanford and Michigan into national powers as a college coach. Whatever he’s selling his players and coaches buy in, and so do I.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Greenhorn wrote:</div>

I’d put Harbaugh at the top of my list, and there’s not a close second. He was 44-19 as an NFL coach, made the NFC title game 3 out of 4 years, and rebuilt Stanford and Michigan into national powers as a college coach. Whatever he’s selling his players and coaches buy in, and so do I.

I would love him too, but he is headed to Miami. I think their situation is much more attractive then ours.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not a Vikings guy, but if I was seeking a new coach my priorities would go as follows:

1. Josh McDaniels – He’s got a track record of winning. When you are around that much winning year after year, you have to learn something. I think he can work with a QB and mold them.

2. Doug Pederson – He’s won it all with a backup QB. That alone is a feat that is worth noting and appreciating. He also can clearly work with QBs as he did it on the fly in Philadelphia. If the Vikings keep Cousins around, I think this would be the best fit.

3. John Harbaugh – He also has won most places he has went. Michigan was a little rocky at times, but this last season showed some of the fruits of his efforts. He’s going to want to make key decisions, and wherever he goes in the NFL is going to be a job where he has significantly more impact than normal on personnel.

4. Brian Flores – He had a good defense and was doing well despite a QB carousel in Miami. I think players would want to play for him.

Candidates I’d Rather Not Get:

Eric Bienemy – gets far more credit than is due, has all the weapons and an offensive minded HOF coach nearly doing his job for him

Byron Leftwich – Much like Bienemy, he has always had all the fancy weapons and superior players to go with his success

Kellen Moore – He is 33, and for the same reasons as the 2 guys above…I’d pass on him as a head coach. He would be a great candidate to revisit in 5 years once he has faced more adversity in the league.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Four guys have been selected as finalists for head coach, in no particular order:

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Wolverines Head Coach
    Patrick Graham, NY Giants Defensive Coordinator
    Raheem Morris, LA Rams Defensive Coordinator
    Kevin O’Connell, LA Rams Offensive Coordinator

Anonymous
    Inactive

Les Steckle too devil

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i would prefer O’Connell. We just got done with a grumpy coach. When he was fired several sources leaked out how toxic the locker room was. I like Jim’s track record of success but he seems just like another Zimmer to me. IDK i would give him a chance but id prefer O’Connell.

My first choice was Ryans

dwalton

I hear Tom Brady isn’t doing anything next year.

Brittman

May have been mentioned on here, but the new GM worked with Harbaugh.

New GM seeks collaboration … he is not an expert in talent assessment. He will need some coaching and scouting talent around him to allow his finance and analytics background to succeed.

Ripjiggen

Dude won a playoff game with fricken Tim Tebow.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Apparently you have something against winning.

Winning????? Josh McDanials record as a NFL coach 11-17…..I do have something against hiring a guy with a losing record, drafting Tim Tebow and taking the Colts job then tucking his tail between his legs and hiding behind Bill Belicheat.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Dude won a playoff game with fricken Tim Tebow.

he was responsible for drafting him too! how do you explain that at your next job interview? pretty easy to run an offense for a decade with the GOAT as your QB

Dan
    Southeast MN

MIAMI huh???

That may all of a sudden make the Vikings a more attractive job than the Dolphins….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So, your main complaint is McDaniels worked for Belichek? And that Brady did his own game planning. And that the Patriots paid him $4 million a year to hold the clip board.

Got it.

Justin riegel

Early reports are saying Harbaugh will sign with MN

Report: Jim Harbaugh plans to become next coach of the Vikings

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well he can still keep the hat!!! waytogo

Ripjiggen

Eyeguy…
    I think it’s safe to say McDaniels will not be responsible for drafting players in Vegas. They have an owner to make those mistakes. jester

According to a report from The Wolverine’s Chris Balas, Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is expected to be offered and accept the open head coach job with the Minnesota Vikings.
    Harbaugh was not in his office at Schembechler Hall today,” the report reads. “Other sources told TheWolverine.com that while he didn’t address the team, he did say some ‘goodbyes’ and ‘thank yous’ yesterday.”

Harbaugh reportedly interviewed over Zoom with the Vikings this past Saturday and is expected to have an in-person interview with them on Wednesday. He was also linked to the Las Vegas Raider’s open head coaching job, but that job has since been filled by former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. There was also speculation he’d be interested in the vacant head coaching gig for the Miami Dolphins thanks to his relationship with Stephen Ross, but nothing substantive ever came of that.

😳😳😳

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.