2021 MN Vikings Thread

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Theres that whole girlfriend thing with Cook and who beat who.

I forgot about that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How many times does Cook get caught from behind or guys have the angle on him after breaking thru the line? All. The. Time. AP basically never. AP is in the conversation for best ever, Cook isn’t even in the convo for best right now (Henry, Taylor and McCaffery are).

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think we all loved Zimmer for his matter of fact personality, but that was obviously running thin recently on players. People say they are getting soft, which is partially true, but you still have to show respect and it sounds like that was not the case much of the time.

I feel VERY similar about Zimmer. It’s time for someone else to run the 60 minutes of gametime, but I liked his hard-as$ demeanor for the most part. I graduated in 2003 and the way our football coaches talked to us and ran practices I don’t think would fly even in the pros nowadays. We’d get exposed and pointed out during film review and at practice, but we had a lot going for us and high expectations and all we wanted to do was fix those mistakes and get better. I honestly think the way our team was run helped prepare me somewhat for the army. Whether it’s been football, the army, or my current job, if I mess something up I’ve never really been bothered by the way I’m addressed. Hell if I know I’m not getting fired and have the opportunity to keep my job and try and improve I really don’t care what’s said to me.

But like you said, you’ve gotta have a culture of respect too. It really seems like his treatment of rookies, be it playing time or in the facility, was pretty bad, and that’s just sad. When new people arrive anywhere it’s important to make them feel important and as much a part of the team as anyone else. And it seemed Zim couldn’t get past some of his grudges with others.

I will say, my favorite line of his and one of my favorite old-school hardcore lines was a few years ago when the Vikes had a Thursday night game. Reporters were asking if guys were still banged up from just playing on Sunday and Zim said “yeah I walked around the lockerroom and asked guys and some said ‘yeah, I’m a little sore’ and I (Zim) said ‘no one cares.'” Haha maybe a little heartless, but I take that as the point being everyone is banged up, so is the other team, but we’ve got a job to do.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I may be the only one against this. The track record of head coaches coming from under Andy Reid has not been great. Brad Childress, Steve Spagnuolo, Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Matt Nagy, Pat Shurmur, Doug Peterson, Todd Bowles (26-41 as a head coach). The only exceptions in my opinion would be John Harbaugh and Sean Mcdermott. EB could be great but I would rather see someone else.

Hoping for Flores.

I agree with you, Bieniemy doesn’t do much for me either, for the same reasons plus Leber didn’t have much positive to say about him when he was here as RB coach. I like Flores as well, or I’d see if McDaniels could be persuaded out of BB shadow again, no sign he’s retiring anytime soon.

Ripjiggen

I may be the only one against this. The track record of head coaches coming from under Andy Reid has not been great. Brad Childress, Steve Spagnuolo, Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Matt Nagy, Pat Shurmur, Doug Peterson, Todd Bowles (26-41 as a head coach). The only exceptions in my opinion would be John Harbaugh and Sean Mcdermott. EB could be great but I would rather see someone else.

Hoping for Flores.

Has anyone else been following all the teams (specifically CHI) that are requesting interviews to multiple coaches yet the Vikings have yet to request one?

Kind of hard to interview a coach without a GM.

tswoboda

Has anyone else been following all the teams (specifically CHI) that are requesting interviews to multiple coaches yet the Vikings have yet to request one?

Kind of hard to interview a coach without a GM.

Didn’t Chicago also can their GM?

Ripjiggen

^^^True dat…no idea what other personnel each team has or trust to start the process’s.
    We should probably let Chicago pic first anyway that will give the Vikings one less guy to screw up. LOL

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Where do people get the idea that Vikings pass pro wasn’t pretty good this year with only a couple of game exceptions. Also, Kirk is much better under pressure than he used to be. His pocket presence is light years ahead of where it was when he got here. It will be interesting to see what happens with Kirk. Will he restructure? Will he be traded? I am OK with either scenario. He is a solid, durable QB but ate up to much cap space. Kirk is in his prime right now. I think he could be a Super Bowl Champion if he plays his cards right. I view him as at least a Joe Flacco-level talent, probably better based on this year.

Beast

I don’t know why you guys want to mess with 49 years of perfection….. whistling

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Vikings hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their general manager. Adofo-Mensah, the vice president of football operations for the Browns for the last two years, was one of two finalists the Vikings identified from an initial pool of eight candidates.
    The 40-year-old Adofo-Mensah has an economics degrees from Princeton, where he was a walk-on basketball player, and Stanford. He is a native of New Jersey, just like Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf. Adofo-Mensah was a commodities trader and portfolio manager early in his career before entering the NFL in 2013 with San Francisco in research and development. After seven seasons with the 49ers, Adofo-Mensah was hired by the Browns in 2020.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ap-source-vikings-hire-kwesi-adofo-mensah-as-gm/ar-AATavQA?ocid=uxbndlbing

Will be interesting to see which direction he goes on HC, and Cousins contract. Couple huge decisions right off the bat. Personally I’m glad they went with a younger candidate, that still has a lot of experience. Other than that, no one knows anything about any of these GM candidates imo.

stout93
    Becker MN

I’m willing to give this guy a shot. Not the most traditional background for a GM, but what the heck, let’s give the analytics a try.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Someone needs to stat a Vikes 2022 post ! coffee

(That someone is NOT me!)

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Someone needs to stat a Vikes 2022 post ! coffee

(That someone is NOT me!)

-J.

Hahaha I almost started it, but then decided against getting 21 pages x 30 replies a page of notifications! rotflol rotflol rotflol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hahaha I almost started it, but then decided against getting 21 pages x 30 replies a page of notifications! rotflol rotflol

X2 !

-J.

queenswake
    NULL

I get that’s where professional sports is going, but it’s one more step towards removing football from being an actual sport and just a means to crunch numbers.

I also am so ambivalent because these changes means we are in for some rebuilding years. I don’t see how we avoid that.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

If making the Packers lose is Job #1, then Mo is your guy!
    whistling

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1643560556422.jpg

Sylvanboat

Bears fan here. I have been watching some analyses by Packer pundits and many expecting Rodgers, Adams and others will all be gone.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Bears fan here. I have been watching some analyses by Packer pundits and many expecting Rodgers, Adams and others will all be gone.

I don’t know anymore. I thought Arodge would have retired last year but I think his closest team mates talked him into returning. Especially Adams and Bahktiari. If he plays again, I would bet that it would be a package deal. His gal is from Colorado and they need a QB. Very similar to when Peyton went there to chase a ship.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Hell yeah man, I’d be fine with Harbaugh. Sounds like his name is involved now because of the time the new GM spent with him in SF. Harbaugh made Stanford a better program, improved the 49ers and had a lot of success with them, and had a recent solid year at Michigan. When you hire up-and-coming coordinators you’ve got some success and hope, nothing wrong with that, but I like the thought of a guy that’s been a head coach in a super bowl. He also may hire coordinators who have succeeded on that level before as well. I would imagine we have news this week?

toddrun

If the Vikings hire Harbaugh as head coach, this 50+ year Vikings fan is giving all of his Vikings gear to Goodwill and buying a Burrow Bengals jersey. Just sayin’…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

If the Vikings hire Harbaugh as head coach, this 50+ year Vikings fan is giving all of his Vikings gear to Goodwill and buying a Burrow Bengals jersey. Just sayin’…

Agree. Has to be someone from the NFL imo.

I’m intrigued with the new GM, curious to see how they handle the draft, mainly the first round.
    He should be able to trade Cousins with that ivy league degree, I’m serious. Throw some more bonus cash at him. I guarantee there’s a coach out there that thinks he smart enough to make it work.

Cook is overrated. Only good for about ten games a year. I think they’d get more bang for their buck going RB by committee. Mattison’s a very good rb. Could Cook garner a first round pick?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

did you give it away when Chilly picked up Brent Farve at the airport too? I would prefer his brother but what is not to like about a guy with a 44-19 record in the NFL as HC?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Harbaugh fixed the niner defense when he was initially hired to be their head coach years ago. They were bad before he arrived and he took them to a super bowl (losing to his brother). Unfortunately he hitched his wagon to Kaepernick and we all know how that ended up.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

well with KC getting upset, Eric Bienemy will hopefully get a call to interview. Poor guy has been looked over for years since KC always going deep into the playoffs. I would be happy with a guy like Harbaugh or Bienemy. whoever aces the interview would be my pick

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Looks like Harbaugh is going to Miami.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

No home field advantage in this game.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Unfortunately he hitched his wagon to Kaepernick and we all know how that ended up.

Yes, it ended up…in the Super Bowl. And Harbaugh left SFO for Michigan 2 years before the political dust-up in 2016 that ended Kaepernick’s career.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t think Harbaugh ends up in MN, but wouldn’t hate it if he did. I’m not a big fan of his, but he would likely have Vic Fangio as his DC and Pep Hamilton as OC which would be awesome. Of the other candidates McConnell and Demeco Ryan would be solid pics as well.

toddrun

They need to pick an Offensive head coach. The whole league is designed for Offense now, the rules, the penalty calls, everything is about more scoring. Scoring sells.

So although a lot of these Defensive guys sound good, its a bad call. Go look at the coaches that made the playoffs this year, almost all of them are offensive minds.

And it has to be someone the wants to make the next big play, not a guy like Zim that just didn’t want to make a mistake play.

Cousins put up good stats, but he is a “just don’t make a bad play” guy, and therefore never makes the big play. There isn’t a QB in the league that over throws wide open WR’s by 5 yards more than Cousins does.

It just a game, go for it.

Harbough may be a good coach, I just don’t like his personality, bad body language and that effects the team. Same reason Kyler Murray can’t win the big games, his body language when something goes wrong is terrible. Burrow, cool as ice even after getting sacked 9 times.

Viewing 30 posts - 601 through 630 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.