2021 MN Vikings Thread

• CaptainMusky

Barr. Hunter is probably gone too. A lot of vets are going to be walking this year.

I really want Hunter on this team but the dude cannot stay healthy so I agree he is probably gone which sucks he could be an absolute animal if he stayed healthy.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Drafting and developing a QB is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Most of the time you just keeping piling up more hay. Cousins finished the season with 33 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and an overall rating of 103.2 in 16 games. Getting rid of him would be disastrous. Heck, look at the game in week 16 at Green Bay. That’s what we’ll have without him. I’m fine drafting a young QB and having him stand on the sidelines for at least a year or two as the backup to Cousins. Just cutting Kirk is a disastrous move though because there isn’t anything remotely better available. Apparently Mond was a wasted pick.

Take a look at the rest of the division. Minus Rodgers, the rest of the division is a train wreck. If Rodgers is not a Packer next season, the Vikings are clearly the best team in the division by process of elimination.

The Bears fired Nagy and their GM today too.

CaptainMusky

I would have to think the Vikings openings have to be some of the more appealing ones considering the ownership group so invested with the team. I mean they have top notch stadium, training facilities, etc. They certainly have talent across the roster that could be turned around relatively quickly if the right people are hired.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Heard this on the radio this morning but Cousins had the exact same stats this year as Farve did in 2009. Crazy how people look at numbers differently. Great numbers, completely different season outcome.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Heard this on the radio this morning but Cousins had the exact same stats this year as Farve did in 2009. Crazy how people look at numbers differently. Great numbers, completely different season outcome.

Great point. Had to look it up to confirm and it’s absolutely true. Statistically speaking that was Favre’s best season in his entire career.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Exactly. It’s freaky how similar their numbers were in 2009/2021. I’ve seen the argument made that “yeah and Favre was seeing to it that they were blowing teams out by 2 scores.” The bad Vikings defense didn’t really allow that to happen this year.

Cousins absolutely could be a long playoff-drive or SB-winning QB, but they’ve gotta have a better team around him obviously. The O-line quietly seemed to have a better year and get better as the year went on. Still not an ideal O-line but I’d be fine if they focus all their revamping, free agency, and draft on the defense.

CaptainMusky

I’d be fine if they focus all their revamping, free agency, and draft on the defense.

I cant say I disagree with you, but they spent like 43M on the defense through free agency and look what it got them, worse. Yeah a lot of things at play, but their secondary was absolutely terrible to begin with, did get a bit better after a few games, but definitely one of the biggest weaknesses.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What are everyone’s predictions for a Vikings hire? They’re an attractive job to a point with a new stadium probably only second to the Raiders facilities. The skill players on offense and the lack of long-term success with defensive coaches makes me think they for sure go after an offensive name.

-If they’re going for the big splash approach, I’d think they call up Josh McDaniels and essentially tell him he could have the keys to the GM/Coach position. I’m not sure that would be enough to pry him from Bill’s side…but it wouldn’t hurt to call.

-Another big splash would be Harbaugh, as he did a lot with the 49ers right away and would bring a lot of hype to town. I think he’s a tougher, grittier version of Zimmer with more appeal to the players and better game management. He’s a guy many would probably run through a wall for. My guess is he ends up with the Raiders though as his #1 choice.

-Offensively speaking, Eric Bieniemy is a great mind that brings a lot of schematic variety to the locker room. He’s flourished having Mahomes though and Reid as his boss, which is a scenario that could make a lot of people look good.

-Kellen Moore is an upcoming offensive mind, but he is only 33 years old and also comes from a system where there are weapons galore. He seems like a great candidate 5-6 years from now.

-Brian Flores is a surprise to be available. I don’t see the Vikings pursuing him as a defensive minded coach though. They want big changes that are visible from Day 1.

Brent Siebenaler

Guess I forgot about the Super Bowl win that season? Or is that not the goal? Is almost good enough?

What’s Cousins playoff record? ONE WIN! What’s his overall career record…59-61. He’s 4-21 with the Vikings in regular season games when facing teams that made the playoffs. What could be done to improve in other areas with the $33 mil a year he’s guaranteed? Really think a team can maintain a number one rated defense with your QB taking 30%+ of your cap? If your going to pay a QB like that he better win ya games. Heck what is he, the 4th highest paid player in the league, tell me he plays like it.

Can you give me many examples of Cousins leading game winning drives with time running out? Coming on the field, rallying the troops and taking over a game?

While I’m not in any way saying football and hockey are apples to apples….but we heard the same arguments from many Wild fans about why Koivu, Suter and Parise were needed on the team. Now look how the team has developed with that money being used elsewhere, not to mention getting rid of a mentality that comes with guaranteed money and not much worries of being dumped. That mentality is complacency.

Anyone that thinks Cousins is a winner is nuts. Whatever stat nonsense matches up with Favre, it’s beyond ridiculous to think they were in anyway the same. Favre played with a passion to WIN… Cousins plays to cash a fat check.

queenswake
    NULL

I have mixed thoughts about this. This season was incredible frustrating because of how close so many games were that we should’ve won.

So now what? Now we risk several years of “rebuilding” and the never-ending churn continues. You’ll never know if sticking it out one more year would’ve gotten us there. Instead, we take a leap of faith.

The other thing to consider is what is the yardstick for a successful rebuild of this team? The Vikes have always been a mediocre team and perhaps always will be. This is our high point.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yes it is obviously difficult to find a QB. It is even harder if you don’t try. I’m fine with Cousins and start developing behind him. Or trade him and do the same thing.

It can be done.

The Bills have Josh Allen. The Chargers have Justin Herbert. The Bengals have Joe Burrow. That is just off the top of my head and doesn’t even include other young QBs like Mahomes and Murray.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think it would be interesting to see what Cousins could do if he had an a offensive line that gave him some time, and secondly a defense that gave him good field position. The Vikings were in the bottom of the league in most defensive categories this year, and the OL problems are well known. Cousins certainly doesn’t have a great record against play off teams but he sure wasn’t getting any help.

Ripjiggen

Yes it is obviously difficult to find a QB. It is even harder if you don’t try. I’m fine with Cousins and start developing behind him. Or trade him and do the same thing.

It can be done.

The Bills have Josh Allen. The Chargers have Justin Herbert. The Bengals have Joe Burrow. That is just off the top of my head and doesn’t even include other young QBs like Mahomes and Murray.

I hear you. You also have to be high enough in the draft to even get close to most of those picks which means you are probably going to not be very good for multiple years.
    Let’s just take the guys you mentioned.
    Josh Allen-taken 7th overall. Behind Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold. Woof
    Josh Rosen went three picks later. Double woof.
    Herbert-could argue stats wise is not any better than Cousins (I like him and would take home over cousins)
    7th pick 3rd QB behind Burrow and Tua.
    Tua just got his coach fired.
    Burrow-Consensus #1 first pick overall.
    Murry-1st pick after Rosen failed. Other QB’s taken in first round Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones oof.
    Pat-10th pick taken behind Mitch Trubisky. May be biggest mistake in Bears history. Watson taken after coach lost his job. He currently doesn’t have a team to play for.

It’s a risk taking a QB that some are willing to take. If you get it wrong it most likely cost you your job. All depends how big of stones you got to pick the right guy.

Going to be an interesting couple of years for the queens.

Hopefully if they draft a QB they can get a Pat and not a Ponder or round and round we will go.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Almost forgot Vikings passed on Mac Jones. He’s going to the post season too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Almost forgot Vikings passed on Mac Jones. He’s going to the post season too.

I don’t think he’s Brady 2.0 there but certainly he has shown some promise this season as a potential long term solution. For every first round QB that succeeds, there’s probably 4 or 5 that fail though. Odds are just not very good.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

“Exactly. It’s freaky how similar their numbers were in 2009/2021. I’ve seen the argument made that “yeah and Favre was seeing to it that they were blowing teams out by 2 scores.” The bad Vikings defense didn’t really allow that to happen this year.”

2009 Vikings had Adrian Peterson though. Cook is good, but cannot compare to AP.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Let me be the first to suggest Ziggy brings the ……….Smoke & Mirrors tour to the Purple. grin

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Let me be the first to suggest Ziggy brings the ……….Smoke & Mirrors tour to the Purple. grin

Row…the Viking ship?!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Purple faithful will suck up the tee shirts like ice crème.

Ripjiggen

They would become ELITE…

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>weedis wrote:</div>

“Exactly. It’s freaky how similar their numbers were in 2009/2021. I’ve seen the argument made that “yeah and Favre was seeing to it that they were blowing teams out by 2 scores.” The bad Vikings defense didn’t really allow that to happen this year.”

2009 Vikings had Adrian Peterson though. Cook is good, but cannot compare to AP.

I would argue that some, not saying Cook is better but AP could not block or catch the ball out of backfield. Not even on the field third and long situations. Plus had a much better O line most of his time with the queens then what cook has to deal with

toddrun

OL is a tough one, lots of stats, but more reported is based on pass blocking. Vikings drafted OL based on run blocking. Zim wanted a run-first team, eat the clock, conservative. So Vikes OL was OK for run blocking, and bad pass blocking. Unfortunately for Zim, the NFL is a passing game now, pass-first, and defenses are built to attack the pass. Injuries were a major factor in the Vikes season this year, and that is especially true about Darrishaw, when he was on the field the OL was significantly better than when he was hurt, they had no replacement for LT so had to shift the whole line around.

All teams have injuries, no excuse. The Vikes are very top heavy, per pay, which make them a Stud/Duds lineup, not good for backup replacements.

I do find it interesting the Wilfs still think it can be a Championship team next year, good luck!?!?!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agreed, it’s crazy how different the seasons were. 12-4 and NFC Championship Game vs 8-9 and on the outside looking in. A dominant offense that consistently put together successful drives vs one that would vanish for quarters and halfs at a time. A QB who ran the offense and owned it vs a QB who took no ownership. Favre and Chilly often butted heads bc Favre ran it how he saw fit and audibled often, vs Kirk who is a yes man middle manager. Kirk is exhibit A on how stats can be meaningless, and I’d say Brady is exhibit B from all the seasons with NE that he was nowhere near league leader in Yards/TD’s but kept hanging banners. Eli’s 2 rings would be exhibit C, mediocre stats but managed the game which is what Zim likely envisioned for Kirk.

Ripjiggen

Good article in the Athletic of the downfall of Zimmer. Lots of quotes from personal. Let’s just say Zimmmer wasn’t everyone’s favorite guy to play for or work with.

CaptainMusky

Good article in the Athletic of the downfall of Zimmer. Lots of quotes from personal. Let’s just say Zimmmer wasn’t everyone’s favorite guy to play for or work with.

I think we all loved Zimmer for his matter of fact personality, but that was obviously running thin recently on players. People say they are getting soft, which is partially true, but you still have to show respect and it sounds like that was not the case much of the time.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Cook is good, but cannot compare to AP.

If Adrian could see the hole or break it outside if the hole wasn’t there, he would have been the best running back of all time. I’ll take Cook everyday. How many times did AP get the hand off going 100 mph only to run into the backs of his O-line? A lot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll take Cook everyday. How many times did AP get the hand off going 100 mph only to run into the backs of his O-line? A lot.

Adrian is going to end up in the hall of fame. He had his limitations on third down because he couldn’t block or pass catch, but he also had way more durability than Cook. Cook is a more versatile back because he can catch the ball but he isn’t going to the hall of fame. Course, he never beat his kid either…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Speaking of Cook, his little brother had a nice 70 yard run for Georgia last night.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>
    I’ll take Cook everyday. How many times did AP get the hand off going 100 mph only to run into the backs of his O-line? A lot.

Adrian is going to end up in the hall of fame. He had his limitations on third down because he couldn’t block or pass catch, but he also had way more durability than Cook. Cook is a more versatile back because he can catch the ball but he isn’t going to the hall of fame. Course, he never beat his kid either…

Theres that whole girlfriend thing with Cook and who beat who.

AP is the leader in the clubhouse for beating a 4 year old with a switch.

Walleye Hungry

Eric Bieniemy anyone?

I may be the only one against this. The track record of head coaches coming from under Andy Reid has not been great. Brad Childress, Steve Spagnuolo, Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Matt Nagy, Pat Shurmur, Doug Peterson, Todd Bowles (26-41 as a head coach). The only exceptions in my opinion would be John Harbaugh and Sean Mcdermott. EB could be great but I would rather see someone else.

Hoping for Flores.

Has anyone else been following all the teams (specifically CHI) that are requesting interviews to multiple coaches yet the Vikings have yet to request one?

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.