2021 MN Vikings Thread

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    apples to oranges………. not going to argue with you….. you brought it up.

Good you would lose that argument. This is a football thread not what’s for supper. Spielman is a good friend of the Wilfs dont think they will get rid of him although he needs to go.

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think Spielman stays and Zim gets the boot. Just my prediction.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats what was reported yesterday in the Athletic.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Thats what was reported yesterday in the Athletic.

And, at least two other mainstream articles today

LabDaddy1

Awesome second half by the purple but thought they shoulda tried to get Jefferson the single season franchise receiving record. Cousins finishes the season with 33 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

I think ol’ Mike might get his walking papers.

That was my thought too. It wouldn’t have hurt much to try and get him the ball on the final drive of the season. They were up by 14 and he only needed 17 yds… Typical vikings decision-making if u ask me

Ripjiggen

If you heard zims response of I don’t care about records only wins is probably one of the reasons he will get the boot.
    He has ran a lot of people out of Minnesota as far as coordinators and players.
    Just watched Daniel Carlson kick five field goals including the game winner in a stadium that he hasn’t missed a field goal in 2 years. 2 freaking years he has not missed at home.
    Can you imagine the offense with Diggs Thielen and Jefferson. Yeah good luck covering that.
    I could be wrong but I don’t think he has had the same OC for 2 consecutive seasons. If he has it has been maybe once in the ten years he has been here.
    Time to clean house in the whole coaching staff. I doubt spielman will be gone so this is the only possible thing that can try and move this franchise forward.

I for one am ready for an offensive coach. Much more entertaining anyway.
    Only 2 teams in the top 12 ppg missed the playoffs. Colts who should have made it but blew it big time against the Jags and the chargers who went down to the final second in OT. Much easier to get a middle of the pack d with free agents and scheme.

Eric Bieniemy anyone?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They drafted Jefferson with the pick they received for Diggs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I could be wrong but I don’t think he has had the same OC for 2 consecutive seasons. If he has it has been maybe once in the ten years he has been here.

A couple of those were promoted to head coaching positions. Pat Shurmur and Kevin Stefanski became head coaches. Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak both retired. The only one that was canned was John DeFilippo.

Norv was there for 3 years and Gary Kubiak was there for 2 years but the rest were only there for 1 season.

MN Z
    Stark MN

Reports just in Vikings fire Zimmer and Spielman

JoeMX1825
    MN

Reports just in Vikings fire Zimmer and Spielman

good! time for some new blood and direction running the team!

lindyrig79

Hallelujah! Let there be life!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just couldn’t believe they hired Denny rather than Tony.

Dennis Green hired Tony Dungy to be DC in MN in 1992, and Dungy left to take the Bucs job in 1996. Dennis Green was fired after the 2001 season. Not sure where you are getting that from, or creating to justify your bandwagon jumping.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like Zim and thought Spielman had a decent track record, but it’s a big boy league and they had more than ample opportunity and the peaks weren’t high enough. The Minneapolis Miracle against the Saints and beating the Saints in the playoffs on the road, great memories, and at least Zim let Sean Payton know the North Remembers.

lindyrig79

I don’t disagree completely. However I look at the Minneapolis Miracle differently. Sure, as a fan, I was jumping around with excitement and will always be a good memory.

BUT… that was a home playoff game we should have won. We never should have been in that position and needed a miracle to win. Lots of poor decisions during that game.

Said it many times… he should have been fired two years ago.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Hail Hail Dorothy
    Zimmer and Spielman are gone!! yay

Slipbob nick

Only question is who do they get now. Preferably someone who is willing to pass the ball more

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can see why they canned Zimmer. His defense has been atrocious the past 2 seasons. It was ranked 30th overall last season and 31st overall this season. Defense is his specialty.

Someone will hire Zimmer as an assistant coach. Once these coaches make it into the NFL circle of coaches, they often stay there in some capacity for a long time.

Ripjiggen

“A couple of those were promoted to head coaching positions. Pat Shurmur and Kevin Stefanski became head coaches. Norv Turner and Gary Kubiak both retired. The only one that was canned was John DeFilippo.

Norv was there for 3 years and Gary Kubiak was there for 2 years but the rest were only there for 1 season.”

I get Shurm and Stefanski took head coaching jobs.
    Norv abruptly left in the middle of the season because they could not agree on a direction for the offense.
    Kubiak retired for probably similar reasons, or so his kid could have a job he clearly wasn’t ready for.

I get they got Jefferson with the Digs pick, but previous to that they were always looking for a third receiver to complement the two.

Plenty of rumors out there about Zim gruff side that rub some out of the organization.

Either way it’s a mute point as he is gone now and we can look to the future and the next steps.
    Can go one of one of two ways now that they are both gone. Either they get better quickly or become a dumpster fire.
    Been a while since this franchise has been looking for a new GM and coach.

Should be filled with lots of drama this off season.

Ripjiggen

toast here’s to hoping the next GM doesn’t want 14 7th round picks.

toddrun

Not desirable jobs. They said this weekend that the Vikes are like $11M over the cap, with Cousins somewhere in the $45M range guaranteed. So they can’t add any talent, still stuck with Cousins, and mediocre draft pick because they chose to win against CHI.

Sounds to me like the next regime needs to clean house on old/high paid players too, even though they are fan favorites. Smith, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter…. Can’t get rid of Cousins without causing other problems, no one will pay that contract.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not desirable jobs. They said this weekend that the Vikes are like $11M over the cap, with Cousins somewhere in the $45M range guaranteed. So they can’t add any talent, still stuck with Cousins, and mediocre draft pick because they chose to win against CHI.

That will be easily handled by the new regime, like you said, lots of cuts coming to vets on the team. And no way Cousins sticks at 45m next year, he’s either getting cut (unlikely) for a 20 something Million hit, or more likely they extend him. Sounds like he was asked about it and would be open to that and lowering his yearly cap hit.

No idea who’s out there for GM, but likely the GM gets hired first and picks the HC. I like Byron Leftwich or Brian Flores as HC candidates, no idea how/why Flores got fired in Miami.

toddrun

They said the cap hit if cut for Cousins was more like $35M, so no way they can cut him. A trade is still possible, but I think the team taking him will force the Vikes to pay part of that contract, won’t take it in full. An extension may provide some relief, but then you are stuck with Cousins for longer, a stat piling QB that cannot take pressure or win high profile games. Don’t think a new caoch wants to tie to that.

I think there are lots of good Offensive coaches out there, but I agree with you, they will have to get a GM first and let him hire the coach. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Wilf’s hire a Pres. or VP also, to hold the GM and coach accountable.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I agree with those saying Cousins won’t get cut. That should be a given considering that dead money they’d be holding. They are either extending him for cap relief, or trading him knowing that his salary will net them relatively few assets but allow a full tear down and rebuild. I would say the longshot scenario is letting him just play out the final year at the high number and then walk for nothing.

Rushing things isn’t always the answer, but they have more layers of decisions to make than most teams. They have to decide on a GM, then coach, then what to do with Cousins, then what to do with the higher paid Veterans…in that order all while realizing other teams get to skip the first step and go right to coaches.

The Vikings should be the most unique offseason front office story to follow. I’d assume candidates will do everything from present a 3-5 year tear it down and start over plan…to an extend Cousins, make a few shrewd moves, and my scheme can get this team contending in the playoffs type plan.

toddrun

My personal opinion is that the Vikings had the talent this year to easily make the playoffs with an outside chance of making the NFC Championship game. But, Zimmer is Ulta Conservative, and that coaching style set them up to finish the way they did. The offensive plays calls SCREAMED “we are playing for a field goal”, and the defensive bend, don’t break defense is good for a while, but the defense broke too many times.

I think a modern day aggressive offensive minded coach, like Shanahan, would have won at least 4 more games this year with the talent on offense.

What I can’t know, is Cousins capable of a more wide open offense, maybe he is not and Zim was handcuffed with consvervativeness…. But, he always seems to be at odds with his OC’s.

There is no quick answer at QB replacement either. And no good talent in the draft. I don’t necessarily blame Speilman and Zimmer for the Cousins signing. Go back and look what was available at the time, it was still the best available.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I wonder if Jim Finks is busy?

Tommy

Cousins is at 45 mill against the cap whether we keep him or cut him. It’s 100% dead cap.

Only way you trade that is if you retain some, or a lot, of the cap hit. Get draft picks as compensation. If you can find the right fit, I think it would be smart. We’re either going to not contend with a 45 mil Cousins, or not contend with a combo of a warm body QB + Cousins retained salary and have draft capital to build off.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cousins is at 45 mill against the cap whether we keep him or cut him. It’s 100% dead cap.

Only way you trade that is if you retain some, or a lot, of the cap hit. Get draft picks as compensation. If you can find the right fit, I think it would be smart. We’re either going to not contend with a 45 mil Cousins, or not contend with a combo of a warm body QB + Cousins retained salary and have draft capital to build off.

Agreed, not sure where I was seeing the lower cap hit for cutting him, but everywhere I’ve looked now confirms the $45m hit next year. Realistically I think whoever the new GM is will need to restructure Cousins for another 3ish years, hopefully find his replacement in the meantime, and get Cousins locked in at $30m/year or less so they can put a better team around him. We’ll see if Cousins is receptive to that or just worried about winning on the business side of things.

CaptainMusky

We’ll see if Cousins is receptive to that or just worried about winning on the business side of things.

I read something today that Cousins was interested in entertaining that idea, but we will see if it works out. I dont think there is any way that Barr is on this team next year and that would save nearly 10M. There are probably going to be some drastic changes. Not sure who to think about for GM or Coach, but Flores wouldnt be a bad coach IMO. Surprised they fired him actually.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Barr. Hunter is probably gone too. A lot of vets are going to be walking this year.

lindyrig79

One thing is crystal clear to me. The Vikings need to prioritize developing a QB. Not an easy task but other teams do it every year.

Viewing 30 posts - 541 through 570 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.