2021 MN Vikings Thread

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

And one other essential play in the comeback was the 15-yard taunting penalty on Boyd when he made the stop on 3rd down. The crowd is going berserk, so he stands over the guy for a couple of seconds, and the ref throws a flag for that? C’mon man! It’s a football game. You don’t overturn a good play for a ticky tacky call. You tell both players to cool their jets and move on. Tough break for the Vikes.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Been offline for a few days. Is Zimmer unemployed yet?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just read that the Vikes probably should have been called for a delay of game on that Claypool reception. Kendricks clubbed the ball out of Claypool’s hand, refs missed it…

You should read things other than Carl Gerbschmidt’s Interpretive Ice Bowl Exhibit blog. Or just watch the film, Claypool fumbled it trying to give the ball to the center/ref after his first down dance all with the clock ticking.

BP Boyd (and most NFL Players today) needs to make a regular play without feeling the need to flex over someone, or dance or preen to the cameras. That’s a pretty routine penalty.

Bears actually had a little life last night, for a 15 point loss, so I’m not too optimistic on the Vikes winning 3 or 4 of the last 4 (Bears, Rams, Packers, Bears) to squeeze in one of the wildcard spots.

Sylvanboat

Bears actually had a little life last night, for a 15 point loss, so I’m not too optimistic on the Vikes winning 3 or 4 of the last 4 (Bears, Rams, Packers, Bears) to squeeze in one of the wildcard spots.

Bears fan here – I think. They looked good in the first half but imploded in the second half. Rumors now circulating that former Bear Trace Armstrong is talking to the team about taking a high level position with the team. Armstrong is also Matt Nagy’s agent. Armstrong vehemently denies all this. This is turning into a circus and I would not be surprised if the team lost all their remaining games.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Holy cow sylvanboat, you weren’t exaggerating. The Bears are a complete train wreck. Nagy probably should have been tossed already too.

Beast

between poor bear offense and the refs doing a poor job, the vikings should be blowing this game out.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Vikes survive the scrimmage vs. Da Bears on Soldier Field getting plenty of practice on the red-zone defense with live bullets. This game could pay dividends in the next couple of weeks. I think the way the game went down was just what the team needed.

Sylvanboat

Vikes survive the scrimmage vs. Da Bears on Soldier Field getting plenty of practice on the red-zone defense with live bullets.

The Bears showed up to a gun fight with rubber knives. Another pathetic performance by the offense.

JEREMY
    BP

The crappy game was hard enough to watch but what was with the tornado siren between each play. Almost had to turn it off it was driving me nuts. No way is thats enjoyable when you are there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The crappy game was hard enough to watch but what was with the tornado siren between each play. Almost had to turn it off it was driving me nuts. No way is thats enjoyable when you are there.

They always do that, and yes it is 10x more annoying in person. Another pitiful offensive performance by the Vikes. Bears front 7 is very good, so pounding the ball with the run and throwing deep or slow developing routes shouldn’t have been options, but Baby Kubiak thought that was a better plan than taking the easy money against their 6-10 DB’s on the depth chart. Thankfully Nagy and Fields are utterly incompetent, or that would have been another bad loss for the purple. Also, all the personal fouls by the Bears, and the Bears fans were cheering them by the end, haven’t seen that before! That Kendrick’s boot was terrible too, I understand you can’t touch a QB, but he was clearly trying to pull off the hit instead of burying him, an ejection seemed excessive. Oh and Fields flops and whines like LeBron!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ugly game by what is often a Ugly team. I was talking about the Vikings, but I guess it fits both teams.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook has been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced Thursday. Cornerback Tye Smith was added to the reserve practice squad/COVID-19, while the team activated receiver Dan Chisena and guard Kyle Hinton (practice squad reserve/COVID-19).

Cook has run for 294 yards in two games, including a season-best 205-yard performance Dec. 9 against the Steelers, since injuring his shoulder against the 49ers in Week 12. He has 1,288 total yards and six touchdowns this season. He sits third behind Jonathan Taylor of the Colts and Cincinnati’s Joe Mixon in rushing yards (1,067).

The Vikings (7-7) sit second in the NFC North and play the Rams (10-4) on Sunday.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

After seeing what Akeem Hicks did to the OL, I’d probably try and get covid to avoid Aaron Donald. Mattison is back now, which isn’t a big drop off from Cook imo.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Considering Mattison isn’t the best on his own team and Cook is one of the best in the NFL, I would say it’s a big deal.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Considering Mattison isn’t the best on his own team and Cook is one of the best in the NFL, I would say it’s a big deal.

Well Mattison’s performances previously when Cook was out would say otherwise, but go ahead and make that case. The Rams are one of the better rush defenses, so neither one would be poised for a huge day.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Season over. smash

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Season over. smash

-J.

but iffin they score 7 yet…they’d add 10 bucks to my pension budget!!! devil rotflol

but i aint countin on it!!!!! bawling

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Rams should have hung 50 on them. I forgot how bad Stafford can be.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think this is the final nail in the coffin. Should they win the final 2, they’ll go 9-8 which will probably not be enough. The Eagles and 49ers will likely be the 2 bottom NFC playoff teams and they are both better than the Vikings. Wouldn’t mind seeing them upset Green Bay next week though.

Not sure what to think of the Rams. Stafford threw 3 interceptions. Against a more superior playoff team that won’t cut it.

queenswake
    NULL

I’d bet that few people had the game on today with holiday stuff and ice fishing going on. I watched, but honestly it was a pretty calm game. Another mediocre performance that just wasn’t good enough. Thankfully there wasn’t a ton to get really angry about aside from the interception we threw in the end zone.

I know I’m just resigned to the fate of the Vikes, but I just shrugged my shoulders at this one.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pitiful offensive performance. Just embarrassing. Klint Kubiak has no business running an offense, and my main complaint with Kirk is he plays like middle management, instead of an owner. If they send in a crappy play call, he runs it. If you watch the elite QB’s, Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes, if they get a bad call in they change out of it, or call something else in the huddle. Nepotism rarely leads to ultimate success and the Vikings are full of Daddy’s kids coaching the team.

Still true, from October 4th to now, this offense has been the same. No creativity, no adjustments, and just pitiful game planning. Aaron Donald and their DL is a beast, and our OL is softer than 10 ply, so we just run right into the teeth of their defense with a soft OL and backup RB’s and shrug our shoulders like there are no other options. Time to clean house of Zimmer, Kubiak, probably Spielman, and leave the Kirk decision up to the new regime.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Can someone give me a plausible explanation for why Zimmer kicks a FG with 30 seconds left when his team is down by 10?

Why would you not shoot for the end zone with the idea that you could possibly recover an onside kick and have enough time to still kick a field goal? By kicking the field goal didn’t he insure that then there was not enough time to get back to the end zone even if you could recover it on sidekick?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can someone give me a plausible explanation for why Zimmer kicks a FG with 30 seconds left when his team is down by 10?

Being down 10, you need both the TD and the FG. So if you get to 4th down and in you’re in FG range, you take the FG. This happens quite a bit in the NFL when teams are down by more than one possession. Since they need 2 scores, you take whichever one is offered first and then try to get the ball back with an onside kick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Being down 10, you need both the TD and the FG. So if you get to 4th down and in you’re in FG range, you take the FG. This happens quite a bit in the NFL when teams are down by more than one possession. Since they need 2 scores, you take whichever one is offered first and then try to get the ball back with an onside kick.

Yup, Gimruis is right. Kick the FG, then if you can recover the onside kick you have 30 seconds to try and get in the endzone. If they tried for it on 4th down and don’t convert ballgame. If they do convert and spend the remaining 30 seconds to score a TD, you lose with no time for an onside attempt.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why would you not shoot for the end zone with the idea that you could possibly recover an onside kick and have enough time to still kick a field goal? By kicking the field goal didn’t he insure that then there was not enough time to get back to the end zone even if you could recover it on sidekick?

That was a good call by Zimmer. And I don’t say that often.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So if you get to 4th down and in you’re in FG range, you take the FG.

Yes, iF you have the time left to actually go down and score the TD after the FG, then yes. But Zimmer did not. Sorry, but no way is 30 seconds enough to recover an onside kick AND then march down multiple plays for a TD.

The only way it would have been even possible would have been to score the TD first. No TD on that drive when you’re that far downfield and the game is over anyway because you’re down by 7 with a few seconds left.

Wrong order, IMO. Just another example of the lack of coaching/offensive savvy, IMO.

Nice knowin ya, Mike.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wrong order, IMO. Just another example of the lack of coaching/offensive savvy, IMO.

Perhaps. Every NFL coach does it that way when they’re down by more than one possession late in the game though. Its not just a Zimmer thing.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yes, iF you have the time left to actually go down and score the TD after the FG, then yes. But Zimmer did not. Sorry, but no way is 30 seconds enough to recover an onside kick AND then march down multiple plays for a TD.

No way is 30 seconds enough to recover an onside kick and score a TD…but it is enough time to finish that drive with a TD and then recover an onside kick, and hit a couple plays to get into FG range?

Viewing 30 posts - 421 through 450 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.