2021 MN Vikings Thread

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

So does this mean we automatically get the first pick next year? rotflol

I understand some of our “Big knockers” on D were out but for God sakes bring some pressure, it’s the winless Lions.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Anybody ever think that we just aren’t very good?? Starting over won’t help, this team hasn’t changed in decades.

whistling

CaptainMusky

I understand some of our “Big knockers” on D were out but for God sakes bring some pressure, it’s the winless Lions.

WHy they didnt bring the heat on that 4th down play makes zero sense. Its 4th down, only a few seconds left. They could have gotten a first down so why only rush 3?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

WHy they didnt bring the heat on that 4th down play makes zero sense. Its 4th down, only a few seconds left. They could have gotten a first down so why only rush 3?

I’m sure it was to have 8 guys covering the end zone, which on that individual play was the correct call imo. Absolutely ridiculous execution by Dantzler and the rest of the DB’s not knowing where they are on the field and the situation.

I’ve defended Zimmer, but his time is up. I’d cut Cousins too, and probably Spielman. Start fresh with a young offensive coach and draft a QB to come in and compete with Mond and whoever else you want to give a shot to. Clear the books of any big contracts, and focus on the young guys building a new nucleus. This is dangerous territory, imo, as the Frazier, Childress, Tice era’s weren’t that long ago, but something needs to be done. The defensive performance the last 2 years is unacceptable and uncharacteristic for Zim, the Cousins era offense has hugely underperformed and the nepotism on the staff is poor optics at least, and anti-meritocracy at worst. Who you like for a replacement?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Teddy will be available if he isn’t part of the trade for Erin.

CaptainMusky

I’d cut Cousins too.

I dont know how they could do this with all the dead cap money. THey are going to be on the hook for a hefty amount. I thought I read like $40M or something ridiculous if they were to cut him.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I’d cut Cousins too.

I dont know how they could do this with all the dead cap money. THey are going to be on the hook for a hefty amount. I thought I read like $40M or something ridiculous if they were to cut him.

I believe if they cut him, it’s a $20M hit. If they keep him as is he’s getting $42M, so they would likely need to redo his contract again and guarantee more money which I am not interested in at all.

CaptainMusky

I believe if they cut him, it’s a $20M hit. If they keep him as is he’s getting $42M, so they would likely need to redo his contract again and guarantee more money which I am not interested in at all.

Ah, that is what it was. Yes, they would likely have to work out a longer term deal to balance that out. Not sure what the best route is here. Kirk isnt the problem. He has his faults, but its not his fault they are losing games. His numbers are pretty dang good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The guy has thrown 25 TDs, 3 INTs, and has a passer rating of 106.3. Is Kirk the greatest QB in the NFL? No. Is he a top 10 QB or near it? Absolutely. This whole “Cut Kirk” movement or discussion shows how crazy fan’s emotions can be. The Vikings could be another 10 years away from finding a guy as good as him. Top 10 players at a position in the world that is most crucial to a team’s success are not just wandering the street.

There are significantly bigger issues than Kirk. How about Danielle Hunter and Dalvin Cook who make big money and cannot stay healthy? How about a defense that is 0/8 in situations where a stop would win a game this year? How about a front office who has refused to invest in an offensive line? Hell, Kirk puts up solid numbers despite having a below average O-Line. How about a coach who hangs his hat on that same defense and it being the focal point of the organization? How about an offensive coordinator who was given his job based on his father?

All this chaos, yet the Vikings are still probably the betting favorites for the last NFL Wildcard spot with the new “give everyone a ribbon” policy of expanding the playoff field. The “fire Zimmer” talks have some backing in the fan base, but it’s a tough spot in which the organization could let a coach go and still likely make the playoffs.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I’ve been screaming it for years…. Speilman has to go! He’s terrible! He’s nailed a few nice players over the years, most of the best were no brainers anyway. But the majority of his pics are consistently busts. On top of that, he consistently fails to address the most important positions year after year, QB and O-Line.

Blow it all up and start from scratch.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

The thing with Kirk is he doesn’t have the killer instinct. Sure, he puts up some big numbers, but he always chokes the biggest games. He never has, nor ever will win a Big game!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Somebody correct me if i’m wrong. Didn’t Cousins drive them for the go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes left in the game?

Jensen

Kirk cousins or Christian ponder. Pick one. I’ll take cousins

Ripjiggen

Somebody correct me if i’m wrong. Didn’t Cousins drive them for the go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes left in the game?

He did and was 30 for 40 for 340 yards with 2TD’s playing with 1.5 offensive starters as receivers/backs. QB rating of 116. Yeah let’s put this on him. Makes sense.

He also made several other game winning drives this year that resulted in a fumble or missed kick so there is that.

He is in in the top 5 of every qb statistic there is this year, but yeah let’s get rid of him so we can watch Mond look like a high school qb.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The thing with Kirk is he doesn’t have the killer instinct. Sure, he puts up some big numbers, but he always chokes the biggest games. He never has, nor ever will win a Big game!

What better option than Kirk is currently available in free agency or has been willing to play in MN – specific names for those of you who think he should be gone now? How many early round draft picks and draft capital spent at the QB position in the last 10 years have yielded players who are worse than Kirk? (A majority). In the last 5 years, 72 Quarterbacks have been drafted. Of those 72, there are arguably 5 that the Vikings may be better off with today (Mac Jones (maybe), Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert (maybe), Kyler Murray). The statistically more likely scenario would be the Vikings would currently be rolling out one of the QBs listed below drafted high since Kirk has been around:

Zac Wilson, Daniel Jones, Baker Mayfield, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Tua, Jordan Love, Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky, Drew Lock, Christian Hackenberg, Deshone Kizer, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Davis Webb, CJ Beatherd

Everyone wants a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Mahomes, etc. but if you keeping dumping QBs until you run into a once in a generation type HOF talent, there’s going to be a ton of terrible years. …Cleveland anyone? The QB carousel is not a friendly place in the NFL for fans. Kirk is solid/above average. You can win with solid and above average. The odds of jumping on the coaching and QB carousel simultaneously and ever getting off of that train wreck are thin.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’d rather roll the dice on finding a young QB and coach combo than be stuck with mediocrity.

Keep Cousins until you find a replacement. But that should be priority number 1, which is why I was so critical of the Vikings passing on Jones.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Cut Kirk🤣🤣🤣

Gotta love the die hards after a loss. I actually have only watched maybe a couple quarters this year because I knew what kind of team this was. No need to get all worked up about something you can’t control…..works for me!
    Kirk ain’t the problem and I doubt it’s Zim’s fault. They just don’t have enough playmakers and they always find ways to lose unlike any other franchise.
    I still reminisce about the Moss era, the Favre backstab and the Diggs miracle. That’s all I need!

blank

I’d rather roll the dice on finding a young QB and coach combo than be stuck with mediocrity.

Keep Cousins until you find a replacement. But that should be priority number 1, which is why I was so critical of the Vikings passing on Jones.

Since you mentioned young QB and coach combo, don’t you think that Jones’ success this year has a lot to do with coaching?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Seems like everyone has to find the next hotshot 35 year old coach with slick back hair and the shades. Maybe Zimmer is not all in anymore? Seems like he is a lot more patient and maybe that will be his downfall?
    I don’t know whose idea it was to draft Mond but that is a fireable offense. It took me watching him play for 5 minutes to see how good he is.
    I think I would search for a new GM first?

blank

Cut Kirk🤣🤣🤣

Gotta love the die hards after a loss. I actually have only watched maybe a couple quarters this year because I knew what kind of team this was. No need to get all worked up about something you can’t control…..works for me!
    Kirk ain’t the problem and I doubt it’s Zim’s fault. They just don’t have enough playmakers and they always find ways to lose unlike any other franchise.
    I still reminisce about the Moss era, the Favre backstab and the Diggs miracle. That’s all I need!

Offensively they do have playmakers, defensively they have some playmakers but injuries have hit them. I’ve wanted Zimmer gone for a couple years now, but this year especially. In game adjustments have been horrible all year. They have led every single game by at least 6 points this season, but they’re just 5-7. I blame this primarily on coaching, as evident by their 2 minute defense.

Minnesota’s two-minute defense has been a struggle all season, but now it’s closing in on historic lows. The Vikings lead the NFL in points allowed in the final two minutes of any half with 101 (the next closest team is Seattle with 83). The most points allowed in the final two minutes of a half in the last 20 seasons is 107 – a record set by Minnesota in 2020 (finished 7-9).

They’ve given up 2 minute game winning or tying TDs to Sam Darnold, Cooper Rush, and Jerad Goff. That’s awful coaching.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>

What better option than Kirk is currently available in free agency or has been willing to play in MN – specific names for those of you who think he should be gone now? How many early round draft picks and draft capital spent at the QB position in the last 10 years have yielded players who are worse than Kirk? (A majority). In the last 5 years, 72 Quarterbacks have been drafted. Of those 72, there are arguably 5 that the Vikings may be better off with today (Mac Jones (maybe), Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert (maybe), Kyler Murray). The statistically more likely scenario would be the Vikings would currently be rolling out one of the QBs listed below drafted high since Kirk has been around:

Zac Wilson, Daniel Jones, Baker Mayfield, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Tua, Jordan Love, Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky, Drew Lock, Christian Hackenberg, Deshone Kizer, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, Davis Webb, CJ Beatherd

Everyone wants a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Mahomes, etc. but if you keeping dumping QBs until you run into a once in a generation type HOF talent, there’s going to be a ton of terrible years. …Cleveland anyone? The QB carousel is not a friendly place in the NFL for fans. Kirk is solid/above average. You can win with solid and above average. The odds of jumping on the coaching and QB carousel simultaneously and ever getting off of that train wreck are thin.

You make a good point and I agree. It’s a sad reality and the Vikes have done nothing to address it. You listed some top notch QB’s the Vikes could have drafted but didn’t… They don’t have the talent in the GM position to make those decisions. In thge end, I just don’t think it matters with Kirk. He’s a good QB, but I think he will never win a big game. I know we’ll never know as long as he’s in purple.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Keep Cousins until you find a replacement.

I agree. If you cut him now, I can assure you it will be a whole lot worse because there isn’t a better option out there at the moment. Young drafted QBs are rarely ready for the NFL. They generally do much better when they are a backup to a veteran for at least a season.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The issue on Cousins has little to do with his performance, which is ok, but you will be limited on your new coach/gm hire to someone who wants to run the same offense he’s been running, and a GM that has an anchor on the financials. If you keep Cousins they will either need to gut a majority of their other veterans next season, or tie themselves to him for longer, which then means the new regime won’t really be their team until that contract is up.

Ripjiggen

You make a good point and I agree. It’s a sad reality and the Vikes have done nothing to address it. You listed some top notch QB’s the Vikes could have drafted but didn’t… They don’t have the talent in the GM position to make those decisions. In thge end, I just don’t think it matters with Kirk. He’s a good QB, but I think he will never win a big game. I know we’ll never know as long as he’s in purple.

I think you missed his point completely 3-5 out of 72 is not a good number.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Yesterday was the first time Goff threw 3 TDs and 300yds since Week 1. So maybe that Vikings defense is worthy of some side-eye moreso than Cousins? Future costs for his bloated contract aside, his performance was one of the better games against the Lions’ by a QB all year.

Garapolo: 17-25, 314yds, 1TD, 0INT (W)
    Rodgers: 22-27, 255yds, 4TD, 0INT (W)
    Jackson: 16-31, 287yds, 1TD, 1INT (W)
    Fields: 11-17, 209yds, 0TD, 1INT (W)
    Cousins: 25-34, 275yds, 1TD, 1INT (W)
    Burrow: 19-29, 271yds, 3TD, 1INT (W)
    Stafford: 28-41, 334yds, 3TD, 0INT (W)
    Hurts: 9-14, 103yds, 0TD, 0INT (W)
    Rudolph: 30-50, 242yds, 1TD, 1INT (W)
    Mayfield: 15-29, 176yds, 1TD, 2INT (W)
    Dalton: 24-39, 317yds, 1TD, 1INT (W)
    Cousins: 30-40, 340yds, 2TD, 0INT (L)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We going to see a funeral or a breath of air on life support of the Vikes season tonight?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m kinda sick of life support. Hoping they pull the plug.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They will lay down like a beaten dog.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I think the D performs well enough to give the Vikes a 10pt win. My money is on Zimmer’s guys to answer the bell.

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.