2021 MN Vikings Thread

• AnotherFisherman

Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for the season established yet.

Zimmer’s defense is looking to rebound this year and return to dominance. The offense last year was high powered, can they repeat? Vikings fans love to talk about the offensive line, will the rookies establish themselves?

What is everyone’s prediction for the season, 17 games this year! I’m going 11-6.

Skol Vikes!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If everything comes up purple, 14-3 let’s SKOL! whistling Realistically I think 11-6, 10-7 is probably most likely, with little depth some key injuries could turn it south reallly quick.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

queue the first cheesehead to come in here and troll….

Schedule looks tough and they have looked absolute garbage in preseason (for what that is worth). Our backup QB spot looks alarming. Covid protocols could take out lots of members of this team for games this year…. Having said all of that i think our roster was one of the more improved rosters of the year in terms of personal. We completely revamped the defense and brought in a bunch of veterans that have proven they can play. Our key offensive pieces are all back from what was a very good offense last year. A big question mark for me is still how the Oline performs and whether the new guys can buy in to Zimmer’s defense and gel.

Should be a fun season! I will say 10-7 and a trip to the playoffs. Then go on a run and hoist that Lombardi!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I will say 10-7 and a trip to the playoffs

That seems reasonable. Wild Card playoff berth.

Packers win the division at 12-5.

Snake ii’s

I quit drinking the purple Kool-Aid after Cousins first year. I enjoy having my fall Sundays without frustration due to their antics…….

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

What I really don’t understand is how the Vikings can’t and don’t start grooming a QB behind Cousins.

Ripjiggen

They just drafted one with the 66th pick. Rumors are they tried to move up in the first for Fields. Not sure the current GM/Coach are looking that much further down the road.

Sylvanboat

queue the first cheesehead to come in here and troll….

Bears fan here. Can I troll? I predict Bears won’t win 8 games. First game against Rams. We’ll likely get blown out.

lindyrig79

They just drafted one with the 66th pick. Rumors are they tried to move up in the first for Fields. Not sure the current GM/Coach are looking that much further down the road.

Mond is a joke. Sorry but you can just tell. And, this is part of the Vikings problem- not looking down the road

stout93
    Becker MN

We completely revamped the defense and brought in a bunch of veterans that have proven they can play.

They kind of had to bring in a bunch of vets since they’ve shown they can’t draft a CB to save their lives…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Vikes will win 5 this year. And those will all be ugly wins as well

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Mond is a joke. Sorry but you can just tell. And, this is part of the Vikings problem- not looking down the road

That’s fine to think he’s a joke, but there only other option was Mac Jones and with the GM and Coach that have been here this long without a future plan and are kind of in a win now mode, and with the QB contract in place. I am not sure taking him in the first round would have been wise with the other holes that needed to be filled. Besides how many Legit QB’s are groomed QB’s that are not taken in the first round. If you bring up Brady as an example I may puke.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

One thing’s for sure, the Vikes will surely disappoint. They always do! Same $h!t, different season! I may root for them to win again after Speilman and Cousins are gone. Hoping they go 0-17 to assure that happens.

CaptainMusky

I just looked at the schedule and couldnt find a loss.

tswoboda

Besides how many Legit QB’s are groomed QB’s that are not taken in the first round. If you bring up Brady as an example I may puke.

That depends… Is kirk in the legit QB class? Otherwise all I got is Russell Wilson.

I just looked at the schedule and couldnt find a loss.

rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Besides how many Legit QB’s are groomed QB’s that are not taken in the first round.

Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton. It’s a bit of a skewed stat, as QB is such a premium position they are over-drafted, and you can compile a longer list of 1st round busts than hits. So saying they need to draft a 1st round QB, means you will likely go thru a few GM’s and 1st round picks before you hit on a QB. I mean look at this draft Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, and Jones were all 1st rounders, and history tells us 2-3 of those guys might be long term starters for their squad.

Here’s the 1st round lists from years prior:
    2020: Tua, Burrows, Herbert, Jordan Love (1 seemingly franchise)
    2019: Kyler, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins (1 franchise)
    2018: Baker, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson (3 Franchise)
    2017: Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson (2 Franchise, if legal issues don’t end Watson’s career)
    2016: Goff, Wentz, Lynch (0 Franchise QBs)
    2015: Winston, Mariota (0 franchise)
    2014: Bortles, Manziel, Teddy (0)

I could keep going, it gets worse before it gets better.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

More often than not, the highly drafted QBs are busts. Rarely do they come into the NFL and light it on fire.

The traditional route of drafting one and having him stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard and wearing a head set as a backup to a veteran for at least one season is the preferred route to success. Unfortunately, most coaches, GMs, and fan bases don’t have the patience for this anymore.

The most recent example of tossing a raw talent in there right away that worked out fairly quickly is Josh Allen. He has transformed from a mistake-prone reckless runner into a potential MVP in like 2 seasons.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Besides how many Legit QB’s are groomed QB’s that are not taken in the first round.

Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson. It’s a bit of a skewed stat, as QB is such a premium position they are over-drafted, and you can compile a longer list of 1st round busts than hits. So saying they need to draft a 1st round QB, means you will likely go thru a few GM’s and 1st round picks before you hit on a QB.

Kind of my point tough to draft a QB in the top ten picks to groom. Just saying there are not to many QB’s in the league that are not top 10-12 picks and come from being groomed in a back up role that have future success.

jared w.

Bears fan here but I will say I love Dalvin Cook. I grab him in all my fantasy leagues when I can. Unfortunately I still think the Pack is going to take the division but it could be a close race for a wildcard spot between the bears and vikings. I think the vikings can go 10-7 for sure.

CaptainMusky

2017: Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson (2 Franchise, if legal issues don’t end Watson’s career)

You must have missed the first half of the Bears game last weekend. Trubisky looked like Montana against his old team LOL.

Ripjiggen

So seven total Werm in the whole NFL. 1 of which was a major slide in the first round and 2-3 that are debatable if they are legit. I think we are agreeing but I am not sure. jester I would argue that if drafting a QB later on and they could be groomed into NHL starters some on your list may not even be starters.

By the way the prove you are not a robot thing is annoying on this site now.

lindyrig79

The quote feature will not work now, however:

I have said on several other threads they should have drafted Mac Jones and let him sit a year or two. Epic failure not to do so.

Ripjiggen

Valid point Lindy but that still remains to be seen for sure.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So seven total Werm in the whole NFL. 1 of which was a major slide in the first round and 2-3 that are debatable if they are legit. I think we are agreeing but I am not sure. jester

And Brady whistling . So 8 of what like 20 teams that have a franchise QB, and the rest have young unproven QB’s or someone else’s failed draft pick. I think I misunderstood your point, and likely agree. The best option at drafting/developing a QB from recent history is to either get the #1 overall pick and take a generational talent, or take a guy that slides late first round or 2/3rd round and give them time to learn the NFL and your system.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FWIW I wasn’t a Mond fan, but they basically had to take a QB in the 3rd round with 4 pics and some others were very high on him, so who knows. Vikes do not have a kicker, again. And they need Darrisaw to come in, start and play well. I like Rashod Hill a lot as a backup, but he cannot last as the starter for a full season or we will be forced into starting Mond sooner than later due to a Cousins injury or just needing someone who can run away better rotflol

lindyrig79

M.Jones is getting glowing reviews in camp (Bill Belichick mind you) and K.Mond looks like a waste of a pick. I’m sure glad they went “all-in” and “win now” on this team! Clean house!

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Too many open questions for me to have an opinion on how I think this year’s squad will do. The injuries to Darrisaw and Barr are concerning. The lack of preseason playing time for veteran starters may put the Vikes in the hole just like last year. I think it is critically important that they win one of their first two games.

As far as Mond goes. The kid missed key time in training camp. He obviously improved from the 1st game to the last. Way too early to judge. Based on past durability it’s a pretty good bet Cousins starts at least 14 games this season. D-Lineman don’t want to injure a QB with Cousins skillset. He is not quite a sitting duck every time he is pressured, but he is that more times than not.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

M.Jones is getting glowing reviews in camp (Bill Belichick mind you) and K.Mond looks like a waste of a pick. I’m sure glad they went “all-in” and “win now” on this team! Clean house!

Lol. Its 3 preseason games. Peyton manning threw for 26 TDs and 28 interceptions his rookie season and he was the #1 overall pick.

You expect a raw 3rd rd pick to come in and set the world on fire? Give it a little time.

If he looks like this in 2 years go ahead and call him a bust. Although I’m not sure 3rd rd picks can even earn that title

lindyrig79

The point is the Vikings passed on a potential franchise QB. They passed. Let that sink in.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The point is the Vikings passed on a potential franchise QB. They passed. Let that sink in.

Again it’s too early to make any of these statements. At this point mond has as much of a chance to make it in the NFL and become a good player as Mac Jones has.

Most draft picks don’t pan out. Most don’t become starters and only a select few become stars.

One thing it is not too early to state however is monds ceiling is 10000000000x higher than Mac Jones. In fact kirk cousins without a deep ball might be a good comp for Mac Jones. There was a reason Jones went all the way to 15 in the draft and if New England hadn’t selected him its conceivable he wouldn’t even have been selected in the 1st rd. The very fact that he was selected in the 1st rd is more of a statement about the dire need for QBs in the NFL rather than a statement about Jones talent. Think Christian Ponder

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.