2021 gardens

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Not sure what happened but i found 2 dead bunnies by my garden. Both had little holes in their head.

That must be going around! rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not sure about anyone else, but seems like a never ending job to keep things in the garden wet and alive………sheez!!!!! doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

not sure about anyone else, but seems like a never ending job to keep things in the garden wet and alive………sheez!!!!! doah

I dunno about that. I have a bumber crop of weeds this year. So if anyone want some dandelions or thistle let me know. woot

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I dunno about that. I have a bumber crop of weeds this year. So if anyone want some dandelions or thistle let me know. woot

rotflol rotflol how do you prepare them for meals? devil

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Believe it or not,
    I’ve been debating about planting my maders. I’ve been wondering if they would make it or not, scrawny little sad looking things.
    Any way I figured it was make it or die time. Neighbor gave me 2 pots of 4 each and I planted them 2 to a cage and the 10 that I have that are still alive. We’ll see!

Maybe if I’m lucky I might get to have a blt sammie by mid Oct?

picklerick
    Central WI

Started a bunch of jalapeno, habanero, and tomatoes from seed in the house in mid March. I put the tomatoes in the ground a couple weeks before Memorial Day and only got a mild frost on some of them a couple weeks ago. Put the peppers in potting bags the middle of last week. I picked up a couple Sunsugar cherry tomato plants to snack on while watering and a ghost pepper plant for the FW because she’s crazy. The two rows on the left are Amish paste, the next row is WI 55 and the right side are Jung’s Wayahead. It’s my first time growing most of these and never started from seed before. Kept me busy between ice fishing and opener. Gave a bunch of plants away because you can see I maxed out the space I had prepped.

Attachments:
    1. garden-scaled.jpg

uninc4709

This is my first year using cheap weed barrier and I am glad I did… Seems to help the ground hold its moisture much longer than last year! Best $15 I spent and it should last me a decade for the garden my size! Tomatoes are absolutely loving it

glenn57
    cold spring mn

how is everyones garden holding up in this heat and lack of mother natures water???? watering is getting old but very neccesary.

it seems some things like my carrots, kalarabi, celery and green beans arent making much progress. the cukes are vining out now, tomatoes, dill, and peppers seem to be making headways. looks like my onions will be pretty respectable this year!!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Ive been watering mine alot. Seems to be doing ok. Picked 2 zucchinis and a few peas so far. Peas dont seem happy about the heat. Sweetcorn on the other hand is a few more no rain days from death.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

16-Qt green beans today! We might have a repeat next weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 16-Qt-6-26-2021.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Denny, are they canned, like sealed or pickled??? I usually pickle most of mine.

Also blanche and freeze some. We are nowhere close to having any yet. Plants haven’t flowered yet

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think our sprinkler system has kept my garden on fire. Water the yard and garden from 2am to 3am. And my garden hasn’t looked better

glenn57
    cold spring mn

it rained a bit about 9;30 last nite then quit. i was shocked this morning to see we had an inch of rain overnite. its like i can almost watch the grass turning green this morning.

i have a friend, lives up on the north end of lake osakis……he said they didnt get hardly any rain…….crazy.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Denny, are they canned, like sealed or pickled??? I usually pickle most of mine.

Also blanche and freeze some. We are nowhere close to having any yet. Plants haven’t flowered yet

Pressure canned for one of our staple vegetables.
    I would assume if you pickled them wouldn’t you leave them in one piece? These are all snaped to 2″ or less.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Pressure canned for one of our staple vegetables.
    I would assume if you pickled them wouldn’t you leave them in one piece? These are all snaped to 2″ or less.

yeah leave them in one piece waytogo

Denny O
    Central IOWA

16-Qt green beans today! We might have a repeat next weekend.

I didn’t get another pic but there is another 15 qt in the cupboards. I think that will last us for close to another couple of years now. We will assess in late June 2022.

LabDaddy1

My grape and cherry tomatoes are coming along nicely now, but peppers(besides banana) seem to be very retarded. Cucumber is vining out a couple feet but also seems to be slow-going.

Denny- I like your quote. So true!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i was gone for the past week, and surprisingly my wife didnt kill the garden!!!!!! jester jester devil

only thing that looks close to picking is my dill. my celery looks like a bust!!!! doah

this rain and cool spell should help!!!!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Well I’m glad to see I’m not the only one struggling this year. This is my 4th year with garden & by far, possibly the worst.. Strawberries from years past are perfect! But my Green Beans, Snap Peas & Pepper plants really aren’t looking great for this time of year.. I got my tomatoes planted late, but they seem to be taking off now along with the Cucumbers. But my Jalapenos, Ghost Peppers, Habanero’s, & Sweet Bell Peppers are really taking their time..? Hopefully they’ll come around. I’m down to my last 2 jars of extremely hot salsa. It’s about time to make more!

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Got me a full batch of dill, radishes, kale, cilantro, mint, lettuce, and chard already. Fresh salad every night.

Grapes are coming in full force in spite of the beetles. Just made a batch of raspberry jam this week. Last week made a batch of mulberry sauce (was supposed to be jam but didn’t set correctly). This next week gonna make the pear preserves. Then onto plum and elderberry.

Squash, tomatoes, watermelons, and especially muskmelon are looking epic.

Peppers look like crap this year and so do all my cukes. Not sure why I can’t seem to grow good cucumbers.

JP

Angler II

Got me a full batch of dill, radishes, kale, cilantro, mint, lettuce, and chard already. Fresh salad every night.

Grapes are coming in full force in spite of the beetles. Just made a batch of raspberry jam this week. Last week made a batch of mulberry sauce (was supposed to be jam but didn’t set correctly). This next week gonna make the pear preserves. Then onto plum and elderberry.

Squash, tomatoes, watermelons, and especially muskmelon are looking epic.

Peppers look like crap this year and so do all my cukes. Not sure why I can’t seem to grow good cucumbers.

JP

Try some epsom salt around the base of the tomatoes and Pepper plants. A tablespoon around the base of the plant.

It has really helped them take off!

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I will try that! waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I will try that! waytogo

I use the Epsom salt also. Especially after the tomato starts forming. A TBLS about every 4th watering is my method.

picklerick
    Central WI

Deep watered everything Fri morning and left for the weekend. Everyone looked good when we got home last night so I waited until this morning to water. Almost all the tomato plants have two different bunches of tomatoes on them. Some small jalapeno peppers on several plants. The ghost pepper plant is loaded with flowers and the habaneros haven’t flowered yet. I think the bush pickles grew a foot since over the weekend and have tons of flowers. I sprinkled Espoma Tomato Tone every other week around each plant. Took me a while to figure out I was overwatering the peppers and that’s why some were a bit pale. I thought since they were in grow bags they’d dry out faster. Compared to my post above it’s amazing what a month can do.

Attachments:
    1. 7_6_21-Garden-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This rain and cool day sure perked things up!!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210706_155256391_HDR-scaled.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

My cukes looked great til about a week ago now a whole section died. Been picking lots of zucchini. Peppers and tomatos coming along good. Sweetcorn starting to set cobs but need more rain then the little yesterday. Purslane growing like a champ.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My cukes looked great til about a week ago now a whole section died. Been picking lots of zucchini. Peppers and tomatos coming along good. Sweetcorn starting to set cobs but need more rain then the little yesterday. Purslane growing like a champ.

yea that purslane is non stop fun!!!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Picked my first batch of dill waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210707_105042618-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Decided I finally best get out and take care of my asparagus patch. Uffda. blush before I started

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210710_102214143_HDR-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

2 1/2 hours later. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210710_123900769_HDR.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.