2017 Sturgeon Pictures

• dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

If the mouth is open that will work too, but most of the time they pucker up and that doesn’t work (plus now you have the chance of hooking yourself). Obviously you don’t want to jam a hand into the actual gills, but just like a pike there is a jaw bone there to grab that will do no harm to the fish.

buschman
    Pool 2

99% of the time I aim for the area just above the mouth. Between the mouth and nose. I only grab this area to get their heads above the waterline and them slide them out of the hole. This works well and have never been hooked. You usually have time to identify where the hook is before grabbing them. Their mouths suck right back into there head so this area gives a nice ledge to grab hold of. Even the big’uns..

I attached a picture. This is the dark area behind the barbels. Easier to access than the gills and safer for the fisherman than going for the mouth.

Attachments:
    1. sturgeon-mouth.jpg

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Great tip! I’ll try that next time. Thanks Joe

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

On Monday I just grabbed their wings. Of course they were less that 15# though.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

This is how I’ve been doing it.

Attachments:
    1. 20170208_082850.png

buschman
    Pool 2

BTW, nice fish guys!! Biggill, its good to see you caught a couple.

I have always thought about getting a small get together in place one of these days. Do a little money pot for big fish and side pot for biggest puppy ) We only have till march 1st so if you guys would be interested we would have to do it by the 25th or 26th maybe. Just a mid day deal. Does not have to be an all night thing. The mid day bite is a luck of the draw deal so anyone would have a chance at it. Anyways even if not this year if guys were interested raise your hands and we can try. I am out of town this weekend but should be on the river the next couple weekends.

Here is one from last weekend.

Attachments:
    1. sturgeon-2017-54.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Man I’m happy to see your guys handling techniques. I’ve had serious concerns of Gill grabbing but so glad to hear people using other methods.

My last 70# I couldn’t get into my net so with one hand on the rod I used my other hand to grab her nose and lift her up enough where I could drop my rod and get around the belly to lift her up and over the boat safely…I have big hands so the nose grab worked, you basically get your fingers right Infront of the mouth.

I would definitely do a get together

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Another topic for fish care, what have you found to be the best hook?

I was using a Gama wide gap finesse hook. Worked fine but I had to cut the line on the second fish because it was hooked too deep to remove. When I tied back on I put a circle hook but wasn’t able to test it out. I don’t want to do that again.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If it was me I’d run 8/0 circles… But I’ve never iced a sturgeon either… But I’d also show up with big baits and nothing you’d hook to a walleye jig… But again… Amateur here on ice… Also not interested in small Sturgeon either

mr-special
    MPLS

dont worry andy i’ll handle all the light duty wrk for ya. lol

from what i know which is very limited ice fishing for them 2/0-4/0 circles is what most run

Jack
    Stillwater, MN

Got this low 50 incher last weekend. Going to be out there again tonight.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0290.jpg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Okay, so what brand and model rods are you guys using? Where do you buy them? This post has peeked my curiosity. Think maybe giving it a go.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll be using a TUCR’s 44′ Sturgeon Rod. I haven’t been out with it yet, but the FW boated a very nice size soft shell turtle with it last summer…well, it wasn’t exactly boated…

I know for hooks there some that use trebles…I watch the videos. I won’t be a fan of them unless the barbs are pinched down and then I would have to see them in action for myself.

EW6

I know for hooks there some that use trebles…I watch the videos. I won’t be a fan of them unless the barbs are pinched down and then I would have to see them in action for myself.

[/quote]

Don’t even mention trebles! 4/0 circle hook.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Circles definitely work better. iFish Pro works good too.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3398.jpg

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

We were messing around doing some Facebook Live vids the other night. Found a few nice fish to pose with:

buschman
    Pool 2

Might have to bring out the heavy no rolls to catch a fish next week…. just seen the Stillwater river gauge forecast for next week.. Wow. That will make it tough to get on the ice.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Might have to bring out the heavy no rolls to catch a fish next week…. just seen the Stillwater river gauge forecast for next week.. Wow. That will make it tough to get on the ice.

That’s what we’ve been doing.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

First open water sturg of the year at 57″. In FEBUARY!!!

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Oops. Forgot the pic.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0138.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not going to lie, I was really disappointed this wasn’t a channel cat when it hit the surface!

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-201705281111347351.jpg

Rod Bent

Taylor and Sharptailer. Son-in-law’s first sturgeon, 40″, St. Croix.

Attachments:
    1. 20170731_140611.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Javin’s first.
    55″
    Heck of a job at that!

Attachments:
    1. DSC01933-1.jpg

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Dan Schriver picked up his PB yesterday. A 55″, 41pounder

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2481.jpg

Rod Bent

Re-posting. Taylor’s first sturgeon 40″, courtesy of Sharptailer.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0125.jpg

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

It was kind of quiet until a party broke out. 66″, 63 pounds.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2575.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.