2-bank charger and one battery

• Sylvanboat

Can I use a two-bank charger if my boat only has one lead acid battery? What do I do with other bank cable? ProMariner customer service says attach both bank cables to the battery. A couple of marine dealers said No. they said to tape up the cable not to be used.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pull the fuse to the second lead. Then the 2nd bank has no juice. No worries then

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think I’d trust the manufacturer over a dealer.

Lancons23

You can double them up, not an issue as they will charge faster. I was told (also by Pro-Mariner) that the only problem would be is they wouldn’t be able to sense the battery is charged and go into stand-by and would just keep charging. As I never verified the latter, it does make sense.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…the only problem would be is they wouldn’t be able to sense the battery is charged and go into stand-by and would just keep charging.

That’s kind of a big problem, in my opinion. One of the benefits of an onboard charger is plugging it in and not having to monitor it.

stevenoak

Pull the fuse to the second lead. Then the 2nd bank has no juice. No worries then [/quote

I’ve have one setup in my garage like this for several year. Shuts off fine when charged. Pulled fuse and taped to be sure and mark the dead one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Pull the fuse to the second lead. Then the 2nd bank has no juice. No worries then [/quote

I’ve have one setup in my garage like this for several year. Shuts off fine when charged. Pulled fuse and taped to be sure and mark the dead one.

It is the most fool proof method for killing a bank with out harming the charger

robby
    Quad Cities

Pull the fuse to the second lead. Then the 2nd bank has no juice. No worries then

Yes, this. Or put both to the same battery. Make sure to pay attention to positive to positive and negative to negative. Do not mean to talk to you like you are ingorant, but thought a valid point. Enjoy, On-board chargers are absolutely wonderful. Make sure you read your instructions. With some of them the green light only means charged partially, leaving on longer finishes off the charge at a trickle to a “real” full charge. Some are made to just plug in and leave plugged in. These are great for over the winter, as they will sense a drop in charge and provide a trickle charge when needed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.