1st time boat buyer – tips / recommendations

• AnotherFisherman

I know this topic has been discussed multiple times, but starting it up again as it now applies directly to me and there may be newer members with fresh ideas grin

The boat: Older Lund 1700 with a Yamaha 4-stroke and a Yammy 4-stroke kicker as well.

What do you have in the boat that you wouldn’t leave without?
    Do you have any general tips? Again, my first boat so more of a novice in regards to everything.
    It’s got a roller trailer, my only experience is with bunks. Should I get the Drotto? It intrigues me.

It’s spring time, so lets talk boats!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Roller trailer for me To. No drotto. I’m in and out solo in under a minute. Spot lock is the new thing I never new I needed. Other then that i like having my 2 graphs back at the tiller captain seat. I’m not to picky though. I’m sure some of the big money boat guys have huge lists.
    Oh and a nice rubber net

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Less is more…I had a 1700 and storage can be limited. Cover your safety items and figure a storage plan for them. Get a good TM and at least one good graph with SI.

Couple spare ropes, a few tools (remember you can’t fix much on water), spare hub for the trailer, net, bump board, extra hat and sunscreen.

I leave a lot of stuff in the truck I need infrequently…bumpers, spare life jackets, etc.

Also, get a good cover. You won’t regret that expense.

Deuces

Bottle opener and can kuzzi

Plenty of yt vids to show you the how tos of loading unloading, main idea loading don’t put trailer in to deep, and unloading go just enough to motor off, otherwise boat can go cockeyed on the rollers/wheel wells with a wind or waves.

You’ll figure out what you need the more you use it. Extra $20-50 bill never hurts to have laying around if something don’t work right and other helps ya out. New used boats can do that.

Snake ii’s

Don’t do it.
    B = Break
    O = Out
    A = Another
    T = Thousand

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Organize all the things you want in the boat at home, and if it doesn’t have a spot to store it in the boat, it doesn’t come in the boat (with few exceptions). Nothing worse than over packed and no room to walk around. Bimini’s can be a huge addition. Sunscreen, bug juice, jumper cables and a small tool kit. Some sort of on the deck rod holders. New savings account for repairs, improvements or add ons jester .

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d trade/sell the kicker for a bow mount.

-J.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

100% waterproof dry bag, for me it is a Scheel’s zip up storage duffel that contains rain-gear, replacement parts, fish cleaning items, towels, headlamps, hand tools and zip-ties.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The “break out another thousand” really only applies if don’t take care of your stuff and/ or don’t do your own maintenance.

Whatever you get, learn to do your own oil changes, water pumps, thermostats. Those 3 items done in your garage will save you enough to get a new graph every year if you want.

Things I don’t leave the dock without:
    1) spare prop
    2) prop wrench
    3) spare bilge pump
    4) spare water pump impeller

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Don’t forget the plug!

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

All good advice. Tool wise, I carry an 11 in 1 screwdriver, a multi tool and a basic 1/2 and 9/16 wrench for swapping batteries if necessary (I need both sizes as TM batts are different nuts than my main battery). You’ll want to get going in a trolling motor and electronics…lots of back orders and outta stock situations out there.

FinickyFish

Don’t forget the plug![/quote
    ^ this. Spare plug, I keep 2 just floating around in the transom area. I also like to just have a “boat bag” with personal necessities (extra hat, towel, sunglasses, koozies, sunscreen, poncho/frogtogs) keep it small enough to fit under the dash so you don’t take up precious storage space. Then as stated before a couple spare tools and fuses, maybe a spark plug if your inclined. Also a hemostat, nail clippers, and tiny tape measure that just stay in the glovebox.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Make sure to check the Transom on the older Lunds for rot.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Make sure to check the Transom on the older Lunds for rot.

This is good advise. If by chance you don’t know how to check the transom, do this:

Trim the motor up about half way or up to your knees. Then grab ahold of the lower unit an lift up and push down. If the transom flexes more than a very small amount, turn and run. On some of those older boats, you can reach under the inside transom area and feel up under the aluminum there. If it’s soggy/wet the wood is most likely rotted.

-J.

AnotherFisherman

Thanks all, will definitely confirm the transom is solid!

Boat also comes with a trolling motor w/spotlock. Bimini top. and a couple Helix units one for mapping one for SI / DI.

Keep it coming! All info is greatly appreciated.

mojo

Pee bucket.
    Spare towels – hundreds of uses – sweat, sunblock, fish slime (if you’re lucky) gasoline, water, blood (if you’re unlucky) and on and on.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s a fine line behind having everything you need and having a boat that resembles a tool chest. Some would say I pack light, but it works for me.

My “List” that stays in the boat:
    -Spare hub and old prop
    -prop wrench
    -a charged trolling motor
    -at least 50′ of rope + anchor
    -spare plug
    -x2 decent sized bumpers
    -Audew booster pack
    -a 2 gallon bucket in the livewell (works for pee in rough waters, for bailing if ever needed), hauling fish out to a cleaning house on the water

The rest comes in my tackle box (sun block, charged phone, cash, my multi tool, a few band aids, a clean towel, forceps)…or is thrown in on an as needed basis.

I don’t do the koozies, spare sunglasses, spare clothes, rain gear, jacket, flares, marker buoys, hammers, as there’s just only so much space. If I were fishing somewhere more remote I would likely reassess my load. For the river though, my set-up has kept me prepared enough for a long time. I also always tell someone who knows the area where I am going to be (roughly) if fishing alone. It helps having a wife who grew up on the river. She knows most every spot by description better than my fishing buddies.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

1) spare prop
    2) prop wrench
    3) spare bilge pump

You’d change an impeller on the water?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Current registration tags.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Pee bucket.
    Spare towels – hundreds of uses – sweat, sunblock, fish slime (if you’re lucky) gasoline, water, blood (if you’re unlucky) and on and on.

No pee bucket in my boat – I’ve seen to many poor shots.
    “Mr. Wiffle” in my boat – wiffle ball bat with ends cut off.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojo wrote:</div>
    Pee bucket.

No pee bucket in my boat – I’ve seen to many poor shots.
    “Mr. Wiffle” in my boat – wiffle ball bat with ends cut off.

You cut off both ends? jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do you have any general tips? Again, my first boat so more of a novice in regards to everything.

Unless you got receipts that prove the service history for the outboards and the trailer, I always assumed the previous owner did what most boat owners in the midwest do which is little to no maintenance. Therefore, I did a full service when I got a used boat.

All of these items are easy DIY maintenance. If you haven’t done them before, watch a few videos. Even if you can’t find your specific model, the process is very similar across all model numbers.

– Oil change with filter. No, you don’t need to waste money paying ridiculous prices for Yamaha branded oil that’s really made by Citgo. A good full synthetic oil is better oil anyway.

– Change the fuel filter or the filter/separator unit depending on what came on your outobard.

– Change the spark plugs. Make sure new plugs are gapped correctly.

– Change the lower unit gear lube.

– I personally would always change the water pump impellers because I want to know exactly when it was done. After that I did it every 5 years. There is no need to change the entire pump assembly unless you find excessive wear caused by silt or a foreign object stuck in the pump. Freshwater does not corrode the pumps so changing out the complete pump is a waste of money, just buy the impeller. I’ve done dozens of impeller changes and I’ve only seen one outboard that had a damaged impeller housing liner such that it needed to be completely changed.

As far as the trailer:

– If you don’t have proof of when the bearings were last done, change them and get it over with. This is an easy (if a little messy) job that every boat owner should know how to do.

– Check all trailer lights to make sure they work, which of course on a used boat there is a 0.00125% chance that they actually will all work.

– Make sure the spare tire is in good condition and has air.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>
    1) spare prop
    2) prop wrench
    3) spare bilge pump

You’d change an impeller on the water?

I was going to ask that to. I have owned a boat for 30 years and I don’t carry any of those things in my actual boat. jester
    Thank god I guess that I haven’t needed them on the water, or unfamiliar water.
    I also don’t fish rivers as much and just take my time in shallow water.
    I make sure my bilge pump is working before I leave the dock. My boat comes with a built in back up.

Rope is a must have on board.
    A good cup holder.
    Hook removing tools.
    Small first aid kit has saved me more than once going back to the dock.
    Small tool set.
    Jumper cables or booster pack.
    Zip ties.

Do most of the checks before you leave and hopefully you don’t need a bunch of stuff in case of this scenarios.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

surprised no one has mentioned TP. Hey you never know when you gotta go and its come in handy more than once in my boat either by me or my guests. Ive gone out with a styrofoam minnow bucket and come back with one for the trash before…..

The very fist time i ever launched my boat i forgot to trim the motor up when taking the boat out of the water. Dragged my skeg on the ground. Thankfully heard the shouts from others and stopped before much damage was done. From that moment on i came up with a little jingle i say in my head each and every time i launch a boat. “Motor up, plug in, straps off”. When taking the boat out of the water just reverse it – “motor up, plug OUT, straps ON”. I havent made a mistake at the boat ramp since (knock on wood)

always remember sunscreen and a good hat to cover up the sun. the sun can be brutal and you’ll thank me when youre older.

Lastly, wear your life vest. I wear mine 100% of the time but it would be especially important if you are fishing alone. i know its not cool to do but it might save your life.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tp in a dry bag is a must have

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Tp in a dry bag is a must have

The brown jersey cotton gloves are good in a pinch. 5 swipes per glove! whistling

-J.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The brown jersey cotton gloves are good in a pinch. 5 swipes per glove! whistling

-J.
    [/quote]

never shake a mans hand whos wearing one sock. thats a life lesson passed on through the generations

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Have you purchased the boat yet? If not I know that the market has been red hot for the past few years. Maybe you are buying from someone that you know that has not listed it publicly yet. Seems most used boats that are a decent deal get sold the same day they post, so yo better have all your finances figured out and cash on hand. Good luck with your purchase!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.