1999 Skeeter Tiller Opinions/Reviews Wanted

• Nodakk

Been looking at used fiberglass tillers and the 1999 or early 2000s Skeeter tillers pop up frequently in what I consider a good price range (~$15k with TM and a helix). Anyone have any experience with these boats? I’d be fishing central MN, Leech, and Winnie.

Also- the 1999 I’m currently looking at has the 100hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Can concerns there? I know the older 4 stroke Yamahas are desirable but I don’t see too many 100hp.

Thanks in advance!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I had a 99 Lund with a 1999 Yamaha F100 motor. No motor troubles other than leaky fuel pumps that were covered under warranty. They had a manufacturing issue. That is a carbed motor but if maintained, should be good. I was told 1999 was the first year the F100 was sold in the states but was sold elsewhere in the world for a couple years prior.

ryan hunt

Always hard to tell actual condition of used.

We have 2000 100hp yamaha on a family boat and it’s still going strong. No idea on hours on it currently but it’s definitely been used and still going strong.

Those skeeter tillers were fairly popular back then. I know of one that was just traded last year. That family put a lot of time in it and handled mille lacs well.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I had a 01 80hp Yamaha that had carbs. Just drained them at the end of the season, fogged the engine and the thing was bullet proof. The 100 would be pretty much the same. The only problem I did have (which was pretty common) was that my voltage regulator went out and fried my wiring harness. I would replace the voltage meter if its the original and you should be good to go

haleysgold
    SE MN

Nodakk – Are you sure the 100 HP isn’t over the rating?

I have a 2000 and I’d have to look at the plate but I’m fairly sure it’s only rated for an 80 HP. That’s for my 1775 so maybe you’re looking at a longer tiller?
    I bought a new 2014 75 HP for it and it’ll scoot along at 30 mph. Fast enough for me. It has very few hours on it. Long story…
    It has power steering too. Love that for long rides in rough water!

Send me PM if you’d have any interest in it.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I’m fairly certain 80 HP was the max for all of the 17 foot skeeter tillers. I had a 1993 and loved that boat. Took it out on Oahe a few times in big waves and handled it much better than I thought a 17 foot boat would. Mine was repowered when I got it so I can’t speak to the motor.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Just drained them at the end of the season,

I didn’t drain the 4 carbs on my F100 to winterize it. Changed oil, lower unit lube, fogged the cylinders and air intake. Owned it for 20 years and no issues other than the fuel pumps described in my earlier post.

Nodakk

Most of the 1775s I have seen have the 80hp Yamaha on them. Not sure if this one is a longer model maybe? Boat looks really clean. Just need to decide if it’s worth the 6hour drive to go look at it or wait for a deal closer to home.

For the guys that had the carb’d 4 strokes, did you have any issues starting in cold weather? One of my buddies had an older 2 stroke Yamaha that was very cold blooded

kidfish

Back in those days, the max HP for any tiller boat was about 90. Maybe the YarCraft 1895 was rated for 115? Not until the Ranger 620 tiller came out was a boat rated for 115. When Mertens hydraulic and Warrior hydraulic steering came about, tiller HP ratings went up.
    Pretty sure that that boat is probably maxed out at 80 HP, 90 tops.
    You can run the 100 HP, but you may not be able to insure it.

haleysgold
    SE MN

For the guys that had the carb’d 4 strokes

I’d go EFI but that’s just me.

Here’s my 1775 with 75 efi.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Yamaha first brought the F80 and F100 to market here. After a while they became the F75 and F90, I think to be able to be put on more tiller boats.

My carb’d F100 started fine in cold weather. Maybe start not the second or third time but not hard starting at all.

I’d go EFI but that’s just me.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Hey Nodakk – Here goes nothing. We’ll see if I can get more than 1 pic to actually post. I sent you a PM in any case.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.