1850 XS impact

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

A close friend of mine is looking to purchase a new 1850 XS impact and I wondered if any one in here has any experience with this boat?

The salesman convinced him that a 24V 80lb thrust is plenty big.
    I did the math and come up with 61lbs thrust minimum so that works BUT will the 24v/80lb last or run down quickly.

Lol I will be the one who will have to change it for him if the 24 does not work out.

Boat dry weight is only 1440 lbs 455 lbs 150 4 stroke mercury plus batteries water fuel and couple guys etc hits about 3077 lbs.

3077 divided by 50 equals 61.54 lbs thrust min.

Any input?
    Thanks
    James W

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I don’t have any experience with this combo. But I think it is important to know how and what type of waters he intends on using his boat on. His he a 12 hour per day guy or a 3-4 hour trip guy?

FDR

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Hi FDR,
    Truth be told you just never know.
    Most times I would say 12 hour days but fishin is done in a hand full of small to medium reservoirs where current and big waves for the most part don’t exist.

Might work shore lines like a bass angler and deep structures and not necessarily on the trolling motor constantly.

Some drifting and anchoring and so forth. Like myself used to a 12V power drive and carried two fully charged deep cycles and never ran out and most days really never switched to the second one.

However these were always on 16 plus foot aluminum boats running small 25 to 30 horse outboards.

I just don’t want to see him regret a choice but I also don’t want to see him over do it as well.

I have not seen one in person but have seen some pics and it looks like the space they tend to put the charger,one might get a third battery there and still keep all 3 batteries together.

Thanks again for your input
    JW

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

My boat is 1440 lbs, and I run a 80lb Xi5. I have 2 series 31s, and spend a lot of my time on the Mississippi. I would say as long as he gets good batteries, he’ll be fine.

Either my batteries or wiring needs to be replaced (actually think it’s some of the wiring, because my breaker will trip sometimes, or get hot), then I might run it down. When those batteries were new a few years ago, I couldn’t get this thing to run down in a day.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have a 2013 Lund Pro V 1775 with the 150 Merc on it and am guessing I am very close to the same weight (Lund website actually list the Pro V 1775 as 10 lbs heavier than the Impact 1850). I have an 24 volt 80 lb Terrova and would say it is perfect for the boat. I would say there are a few times in high water on the river or big wind on a large lake that I wish I had a bit more, but that is relatively rare and a compromise I was willing to make to not have the extra cost of the 36 volt motor, 3rd battery, and extra charger bank. I guess it depends on your fishing style and amount you fish also.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have the same boat as chris only with a 115. I have a MotorGuide Xi5 80/24 and it’s a perfect fit. I don’t think the jump up to a 36V would be worth the extra battery etc…
    If was a 21′ boat…my .02

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have an 1875 Lund Impact with an 80lb Terrova. I would say it’s plenty for my boat and I’ve ran it pretty much all day and never lost power. Not a bad thing….but the 101 would be overkill for the 1850.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

@francisco4

@wimwuen

@CBMN

@scottnevis

@BrianPeterson

Thank you for all your helpful replies. I have passed this on.
    Rofl…..he was settled until I asked him how much he would use the anchor lock and auto trol features.

Two more questions

1… How much difference is there between the ips and ips2 hulls other then the 2 extra strakes?

2… bunks vs roller trailers?
    All experience on this end has been with bunks But there are a lot of guys going with rollers with these smaller boats.

Suppose it could be a benefit with rollers when the ramps get shallow after winter draw down.

Thanks for your time and advice
    JW

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Wow that boat is really nice to say the least. Got me rethinking the wx1910 that is for sure.
    rotflol smash rotflol

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Previous to owning my Impact, I had an Explorer 1800 with the IPS 2 hull. I honestly can’t tell much of a difference.

As far as trailers, I have an all roller now that sometimes tests my patience. Especially on steep ramps. I’m thinking of adding a couple of small bunks up front to help keep the boat from sliding off too fast. my remedy for now, was to install another cleat on the trailer post and tie off while I unhook the safety chain and tow strap.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thanks Brian this very Good to know. Yes I believe I would simply stick to bunk trailers. The extra hastle and concern of slipping off to soon out ways any easier shallow water loading and unloading rollers may offer in my book.

Funny how things work out. I mean I am more excited about this 1850 XS then any other boat including the skeeter wx1910 I was so sure of.

Sure glad I have not yet committed to a purchase yet.
    Thanks again
    JW

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

As far as trailers, I have an all roller now that sometimes tests my patience. Especially on steep ramps. I’m thinking of adding a couple of small bunks up front to help keep the boat from sliding off too fast. my remedy for now, was to install another cleat on the trailer post and tie off while I unhook the safety chain and tow strap.

I’m still a rookie with a bigger boat (not that big) launching with a roller trailer but have had no issues. What’s happening? Is this when you’re launching solo? My (limited) experience is that my partner backs it in while I’m in the boat. I float out in the boat and while he parks the truck, I’m already idling at the dock. Just curious on anything else that might go bad? sad

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Only issue is on very steep ramps launching solo. But now I just tie off a 20′ length of rope.

CBMN
    North Metro

Two more questions

1… How much difference is there between the ips and ips2 hulls other then the 2 extra strakes?

2… bunks vs roller trailers?
    All experience on this end has been with bunks But there are a lot of guys going with rollers with these smaller boats.

I haven’t owned a comparable boat with just IPS vs IPS2 so I really don’t have much to compare but I would say my boat tracks really well and drifts well also. But guessing a boat of similar size and weight with IPS would also. I actually thought the IPS 2 was just supposed to have extra strakes to help lift the bow of the boat better/faster to plane.

I have a roller trailer and would have to say I like it a lot. My personal thought is that a bunk trailer is better for your boat, and can be easier on a river, but I have taken the time to learn some tricks for my boat and trailer combo (exact depth in the water, and process for loading and unloading) and think it works great, and I have the ability to get into some shallower ramps if I want to. I do have the factory installed side guide-ons, and they can be a big help at times also.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.