12 Ft Jon Boat Blind

• waterdog87

Looking for recommendations on blinds for a 12t jon boat. I was planning on building one myself before this fall for cheap. Is a scissor blind the best way to go? What would you recommended for the blind material? Burlap? Also, what is the best setup for hunting out of a boat blind with a dog? I was thinking of having her sit in the middle of the boat and cutting a hole in the blind for her to look out of and get in and out of the boat. Thanks!

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Are you hunting Solo or with another person? If solo I would 100% build it to hunt as you would out of a layout field blind and have the dog on a stand off side of boat. IF you are needing to hunt 2 guys, I would say you need a bigger boat, especially with a dog along. 1448 jon boat is a great 2 man, stable platform to shoot from is pretty important for safety and accuracy.

waterdog87

The majority of my hunts will be solo with the dog, but occasionally will have another hunter with me. That being said I am sticking with the 12ft for now. Could you elaborate a bit more on the layout blind idea?

FinnyDinDin

If you are determined to stick with a 12 ft you might not need a blind. Some BlindGrass mats laid over the boat, you and the dog should be good enough concealment in most situations if you sit down.

A tanglefree panel blind actually might work and also give you ability to hunt on land too. Add natural cover to it.

If you make homemade your priorities should be that it is light and easy to set up and take down. Figure out the dogs spot after you build it. Lots of blind plans out there. Scissors aren’t too bad if built right.

12 foot is a small boat for a boat blind. Personally I would never build a blind on that boat. Kinda defeats the purpose of a boat blind and hunting comfortably out of a boat. If you go with a bigger boat get a beavertail blind and put blindgrass material on it. Expensive but it should last a lifetime since it won’t rot. Make sure to cover the shooter holes. Every Tom, dick and hairy has a boat blind and almost no one covers the holes in the northern states. Ducks figure it out quick.

I prefer not to hunt out of a boat blind. I have a half dozen duck boats ranging from small to big including a big Lund Alaskan with a blind. We hunt out of the boat with a blind maybe 5% of the time. Only do it with locations that require it. If you can walk on land or in shallow water in waders it’s best to put the boat down shore and hide it away from where your hide is. I see so many hunters that will park a big ugly boat blind in front of great natural cover. Sure sign of a rookie.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

The majority of my hunts will be solo with the dog, but occasionally will have another hunter with me. That being said I am sticking with the 12ft for now. Could you elaborate a bit more on the layout blind idea?

Basically you build the boat out so you can sit on the floor while hunting and have doors that open like a layout blind. This will keep center of gravity low, and also make the blind much easier to hide, as it will be much lower profile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.