12/23 Report

• xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Been here since 1 today with my son. We’re in a sleeper house of Bearpaw’s, out about 3 miles on Westwinds road in 11’.
    We have 5 in the bucket so far, and released 1 small. 4 that are cookie cutter 16” ers and one chunky 19.5”. All on either a bobber line or rattle reel. Did break off one big fish on a glow rattle spoon.
    Hoping the overnight bite is good, heard last night was very good for some.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Awesome so much fun with the kid. Hope the rattle reels didnt allow you to sleep sleeping

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Late, final update on the trip.
    Ended up Hitting a lull up til 9 that night, then had steady action thru about 1:30 when we pulled the rattle reels and got a few hours of sleep.
    Caught an eelpout and another dozen eye’s during that time.
    Slept in a little and headed in to clean fish and head for home about 9am.
    Best luck was with a glow pink plain hook on the rattle reel, and a glow red demon on a bobber line.
    We had 16″ of ice where we were at and there was some drifting starting to happen with the light snow and winds. Had a fun time with my son, now its back to basketball most every day for the rest of the winter.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Thanks for the report. Heading out tomorrow after work up till Tuesday. First trip of the year , will get back up 2 or 3 more times.

ProStaffSteve

Good report. Going up this weekend. How is the traffic up there? Seems Mille Lacs is the IDO target this year, Red Lake info seems a little hard to come by.

fishingadam54

I was also up on red with a couple buddies the 21-23 and we did really well. 52 walleyes in about 40 hours for us. Jigging gold and glow red spoons with minnow heads and set lines with plain hooks was what was working for us. We were in 13′ of water in the mud out of JR’s. Also had a couple of big perch and a 32″ pike. It was a fun trip and I can’t wait to get back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.