1 GIG Interwebs?

• B-man

Who’s made the leap?

At the house we have had 100mb for the last few years, it works okay for the most part, but while streaming a few devices our video quality would change at times, dropping 1080 back and forth.

I saw that Midcontinent now offers 1gig (10 times what we have now) for $40 more and just made the switch yesterday. I myself haven’t had a chance to try it, but curious if you have seen a big difference. My wife did a wifi speed test yesterday on her phone and had 530mb down and 19mb up. Wayyy faster than we’ve ever had before.

I might look at getting a WiFi booster for the garage to get better reception out there, any recommendations?

Wish I could tell you what router we have, but I’m not home right now. It’s a bigger newer vertical one, but I have know idea what model or brand it is. I’ve read to get the most out of a 1 gig connection I should get a 3.1 docsis, should I bother getting one if mine is not one already?

All we do is stream, we don’t play video games online.

mike_v
    carver Mn

Yes you need a docsis 3.1 to do 1gig, depending on how many devices you have connected wireless 1gig is probably way more than you need.

B-man

Yes you need a docsis 3.1 to do 1gig, depending on how many devices you have connected wireless 1gig is probably way more than you need.

I’d imagine the most devices we’d ever be streaming would be four, maybe a couple more if we have guests staying with us.

Should we drop down to a 500mb? It would still be 5 times the bandwidth to what we have now, and I think it’s like $25 more instead of $40 more.

uninc4709

If you only ever imagine 4 devices streaming at once you don’t need more than 200mb. I would wager you don’t need more than 100mb and issues you were having are a result of hardware. Even 4k streaming is roughly only 20-25mbs.

I would spend the extra money a month on upgrading your hardware. My guess is your TV/chromecast/amazon stick/roku is the pinch point.

Brad Dimond

r hardware. My guess is your TV/chrome

I agree. Also, most services have announced signal degradation recently to deal with network contention (Netflix & Youtube to name a couple) so increases in bandwidth are not likely to enhance your endpoint experience.

B-man

If you only ever imagine 4 devices streaming at once you don’t need more than 200mb. I would wager you don’t need more than 100mb and issues you were having are a result of hardware. Even 4k streaming is roughly only 20-25mbs.

I would spend the extra money a month on upgrading your hardware. My guess is your TV/chromecast/amazon stick/roku is the pinch point.

Thanks for the input waytogo

We are getting a new 4k tv for the living room, but that will probably be the most demanding device for the time being.

All the other TV’s will still be 1080p. I’ll drop the 1000mb down to 500 or even back to 100 and look into a booster for the garage.

The tv/roku out there shows “full bars” but I’m not getting the signal I need all the time.

This stuff is all pretty G(r)eek to me :), but the more I research the more I’m learning lol

From what I read you lose about half your bandwidth over wi-fi? That correct?

Brad Dimond

Bandwidth loss to wireless depends on your equipment. Networks always have a chokepoint, something that is the gating factor on performance. To optimize you need to examine all of the components to determine which constrains you the most. The best performance you will get is a direct connection to your internet fiber. From there each additional interface has the potential to slow you down. Your cable modem, wireless router, EFI/RFI in the environment,network card on you end device can all sap throughput. Building networks is all about finding the chokepoints that degrade performance below what you deem is an acceptable level. You will never get a perfect config, at least not for a reasonable amount of money. Go for good.

B-man

My wife called and switched to 500mb.

It’s the same price as the 100mb we’ve been paying for two years….. roll (same company, Midcontinent)

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve got the 1 GIG speed from CenturyLink. I’ve had it for over a year. Part of the reason I have it is because it bundles with AT&T mobile and Direct TV so I have a 3-way package that offers a discount. My Centurylink cost is “priced for life” as long as I’m a customer too.

I play Call of Duty online PS4 so I need a high refresh rate…or I die. My fantasy football score often updates faster on my app than when it happens live on my TV too.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

This came up in perfect timing as I am looking to increase my speeds. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone has a suggestion for a dual band (I think that’s what I need) router? My provider suggested Netgear but no model. I don’t need anything super fancy. I have rural wifi which is similar to satellite.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>uninc4709 wrote:</div>
    r hardware. My guess is your TV/chrome

I agree. Also, most services have announced signal degradation recently to deal with network contention (Netflix & Youtube to name a couple) so increases in bandwidth are not likely to enhance your endpoint experience.

I tried looking up what you brought up, couldn’t find anything?

Brad Dimond

From Netflix website blog:

21 March 2020

Reducing Netflix traffic where it’s needed while maintaining the member experience
    We are living through a global crisis, and we all have a responsibility to help where we can. Last week, the European Union asked companies like Netflix, Amazon and YouTube to ensure that we are using telecommunications networks as efficiently as possible given the unprecedented demand they are facing.

We immediately developed, tested and deployed a way to reduce Netflix’s traffic on these networks by 25% – starting with Italy and Spain, which were experiencing the biggest impact. Within 48 hours, we’d hit that goal and we’re now deploying this across the rest of Europe and the UK.

Since we started making these changes we’ve had a number of questions from members and our Internet Service Provider (ISP) partners.

Our members have asked what this means in terms of video quality. Put simply the action we’ve taken maintains the full range of video resolutions. So whether you paid for Ultra-High Definition (UHD), High Definition (HD), or Standard Definition (SD), that is what you should continue to get (depending on the device you are using).

In normal circumstances, we have many (sometimes dozens) of different streams for a single title within each resolution. In Europe, for the next 30 days, within each category we’ve simply removed the highest bandwidth streams. If you are particularly tuned into video quality you may notice a very slight decrease in quality within each resolution. But you will still get the video quality you paid for.

On the ISP side, some partners in regions such as Latin America want us to reduce our bandwidth as soon as possible. But others want to continue with business as usual. This is understandable, as different ISPs around the world have built their networks in different ways, and operate within different constraints. For example, building a residential ISP network in a dense metropolitan area is quite a different prospect from building a residential ISP network in a sparsely populated rural area. Some ISPs build their networks with a substantial amount of excess capacity (“headroom”) others do not. Fortunately, we have a lot of experience delivering Netflix efficiently through our Open Connect program – as well as other technologies we’ve pioneered – and so we can respond to these different scenarios quickly.

So we will provide relief to ISPs who are dealing with large government-mandated “shelter in place” orders by providing the 25% traffic reduction we’ve started in Europe. For other networks, we’ll stick with our normal procedures – until and unless they experience issues of their own.

Our goal is simple: to maintain the quality of service for our members, while supporting ISPs who are facing unprecedented strain on their networks.

-Ken Florance, VP Content Delivery

Netflix Open Connect

Brad Dimond

From ABC News:
    YouTube throttling streaming quality globally as coronavirus forces people indoors
    The lockdowns and stay-in-place orders have spiked demand for services.
    Catherine Thorbecke
    By
    Catherine Thorbecke
    March 24, 2020, 1:24 AM

As the coronavirus pandemic forces people around the world to stay inside, streaming platforms, including Netflix and YouTube, have been forced to throttle video quality in Europe amid unprecedented demand, and YouTube said that it will now begin doing the same globally.

Google-owned YouTube confirmed Tuesday that it is temporarily defaulting all traffic globally to “standard definition” video quality.

“We continue to work closely with governments and network operators around the globe to do our part to minimize stress on the system during this unprecedented situation,” a Google spokesperson told ABC News in a statement. “Last week, we announced that we were temporarily defaulting all videos on YouTube to standard definition in the European Union. Given the global nature of this crisis, we will expand that change globally starting today.”

Users can still opt-in to high definition quality, but by default they will be viewing the lower quality video content.

EU officials have been in talks with leaders of some of the major players in the video streaming industry starting last week, asking them to take steps to ensure they’re using telecom networks as efficiently as possible as government-mandated stay-in-place orders take effect throughout the region.

“In Europe, for the next 30 days, within each category we’ve simply removed the highest bandwidth streams,” Ken Florance, Netflix’s vice president of content delivery, said in a statement on Saturday.

“If you are particularly tuned into video quality you may notice a very slight decrease in quality within each resolution,” Florance added. “But you will still get the video quality you paid for.”

Florance noted that internet service providers around the world vary greatly, and that “some partners in regions such as Latin America want us to reduce our bandwidth as soon as possible. But others want to continue with business as usual.”

“So we will provide relief to ISPs who are dealing with large government-mandated ‘shelter in place’ orders by providing the 25% traffic reduction we’ve started in Europe,” he said. “For other networks, we’ll stick with our normal procedures — until and unless they experience issues of their own.”

Amazon officials similarly said Monday that they had already taken action in Europe — and while the reductions in video quality have not yet impacted the U.S., they are closely monitoring the situation and are ready to take action if called upon by government agencies.

“We support the need for careful management of telecom services to ensure they can handle the increased internet demand with so many people now at home full-time due to COVID-19,” a Prime Video spokesperson told ABC News in a statement.

“Prime Video is working with local authorities and internet service providers where needed to help mitigate any network congestion, including in Europe where we’ve already begun the effort to reduce streaming bitrates while maintaining a quality streaming experience for our customers,” the spokesperson added.
    Disney’s streaming service, Disney+, will temporarily reduce its overall bandwidth utilization by at least 25% “in all of the markets launching Disney+” starting on Tuesday, Kevin Mayer, the chairman of direct-to-consumer and international at The Walt Disney Company said in a statement.

“In the coming days, we will be monitoring Internet congestion and working closely with Internet service providers to further reduce bitrates as necessary to ensure they are not overwhelmed by consumer demand,” Mayer added. “We look forward to the launch of Disney+ and hope it will provide a much-needed respite for families in these challenging and trying times.”

B-man

Thanks Brad, my issues have been occurring long before today. Hoping by bumping up my speed and getting a booster helps out.

Buckeye1

B-Man
    I just installed an Orbi(Netgear) mesh system. Wow what an improvement. Areas that did not have good signal now have full signal. Download speeds more than doubled. Should have done a long time ago.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I run an Orbi also.
    I just tested ours here and I need to add I don’t pay for anything extra for broadband. My rates are 73.65mbps download and 7.02mbps upload with a ping speed of 33ms. I don’t have any issue watching 4k videos, We only have at most 2 items functioning at one time.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would be interested to know on these 500 MBS and 1 Gig services, has anyone done an actual speed test? What are you getting in reality?

Interested to know how close you can get to those speed claims in real life.

Grouse

B-man

I would be interested to know on these 500 MBS and 1 Gig services, has anyone done an actual speed test? What are you getting in reality?

Interested to know how close you can get to those speed claims in real life.

Grouse

My wife did a test today when she got home. This was after switching to 500mb and standing by the router using the wifi on her phone.

Pretty impressive, and it was the same price we were paying for a 100mb connection.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200326-191137.png

uninc4709

This came up in perfect timing as I am looking to increase my speeds. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone has a suggestion for a dual band (I think that’s what I need) router? My provider suggested Netgear but no model. I don’t need anything super fancy. I have rural wifi which is similar to satellite.

I would look into Arris Surfboard moden/router combos. Have latest WiFi technology and then you also don’t pay for rental fees. Double check they are supported by your provider.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.