07 Ford Expedition problems and what to expect?

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m having an issue with the Big Red 2007 Expedition, recently brake pedal went to floor but recovered, then when stepping on brakes, it feels like a warped rotor (pulled the front brakes and visually inspected rotor while spinning it next to a fixed point, couldn’t see any wobble), then the traction light on dash came on and something seemed to bind, making brief grinding noise – noticeable binding; then all disappeared? I did an internet and Ford forum search without any clear issue emerging. Do these problems sound familiar to anyone? What are the other common issues (other then plugs)that are likely???

Buzz

Iowaboy1

sounds like a front wheel bearing is out,but I am surprised you didnt discover it when you checked the rotors.
    a bad wheel bearing will trip up the traction control lite also as the speed sensor is in the bearing hub.

you described the brake fade which is very common with a bearing that is completely out,but that should have been obvious when you checked the rotors for warpage,usually,the brake fade doesnt go away when this happens.

there are seven speed sensors in that system if memory serves me,one of which is in the rear differential,one in each front bearing,two in the transfer case,and two in the transmission,any one of them can affect traction control as the speeds have to be in agreement for it to work.

you did not mention an ABS light,it generally is on at the same time as all of the rest.
    recheck the front bearings for play,(you will have to collapse the brake calipers)if nothing is found,pull the fill plug on the transfer case,it may trashed.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Iowa, ABS light is not on. How do I check the wheel bearings? Take the calipers off and try to wiggle the rotor?

mojogunter

Jack up the tire and see if there is play with the rim

Iowaboy1

jack up the vehicle one side at at time,grab the wheel top and bottom,rock it HARD,you should be able to feel the play in it,if you cant,pull the wheel,and using a small pry bar between the inner pad and rotor,push the caliper piston back,a half inch will do,put wheel back on try again,dont forget to pump the brakes back up before moving vehicle once finished!!! you will not have brakes until you do!
    I would bet you find it without pulling the wheel though.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have seen where a rock has got caught in the rotor area and cause the same issues as described,the pulsating could have been abs kicking in a out, thus feeling like wrapped rotor. Peddle going to floor could have been due to the abs letting pressure by-pass !
    Buzz I am outta town will be back Monday and will contact you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.