Stinger treble hook size

• PJMulvihill
    Saint Louis area

A couple of fishermen recently told me that it was best to use small sizes 10 -12 stinger treble hooks for river sauger & walleye.
    Another good fisherman told me that sizes 6 to 8 are best and you get more consistent hooksets with these larger sizes. What’s the consensus on this?
    PJM

jhalfen

I’ll start by saying that I rarely, if ever, use a stinger hook. If you need one to hook “short-striking” fish, the first thing I’d consider is going to a lighter jig (so the fish can get the whole package in its mouth), or switching to a live bait rig.

If you insist on a stinger, consider a smaller treble on a short, stout mono leader, like that found on these Killer Jigs:

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

When I used to use a lot of jig and minnow combo’s, I’d always use the #10 treble, and I’d tie my own, and use them on the fireball jig. They hold just as good as a bigger treble, not sure if the size matters a whole bunch, the fish just has to get it in their mouth.

good luck, and
    Welcome to IDO…
    Jack

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I agree with Jason in that I will often go to a live bait rig before I use the stinger. That having been said, I used to make my own stingers the hard way, I used 7-strand wire and crimp sleeves with a #10 treble hook and no-knot fast snaps so they could be added or removed as necessary.

Dave

mnwalleyeangler

i agree with jason.DOWNSIZE your jig. but when i do go to a stinger i tie my own and use a size 10 treble!

PJMulvihill
    Saint Louis area

Thanks everybody for the help.
    PJM

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

If you put all the peices of the puzzle together you will throw those enchanted treble hooks away and never use them.It will in the long run make you a much better fisherman.Some of your problems have been talked about already above,very good advice.Try to keep in mind that you have to have a balance set up as far as line size(mono our braid),rod lenght,med-heavy our light action.To become a very succesful jig fisherman you must have the answers to this and this all comes with experience.Enjoy and good luck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.