Transducer angle

• Matthew Sandys

I put a new GT-56 on my boat and I have always gone level as the boat sits in the water. Since than I have read and see were people say you get better returns on side imaging if you have a 10 degree angle with the back side being down. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks

James Almquist

Mine is level and I really like what I see. Problems with your images ?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I follow what garmin includes in their instructions and havnt had problems. Actually installing a ducer today same way though.

Matthew Sandys

I have just installed it and will test it tomorrow. In the past I never had and issue with level. I would think the manufacture would know what to do for best picture quality. But you never know if something would help out.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Make it level in the water like instructed.

isu22andy

Reach over the transom and adjust it till you like the picture – then tighten it up when you get on the ramp. Ghetto but it works. Mark the bolts or brackets with a line of paint in case it moves in the future .

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I watch a you tuber who just did a whole series of test ,level then the 10 degree . I believe he said the 10 degree was better for his set up . But also added your mileage may vary LOL . Just mounted my GT 54 today . ” There is a good tutorial on You Tube From Wired To Fish How to install a fish finder pro tips and tricks for all models ” Highly recommend it this guy is a pro .

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Tested mine today and the picture looks good.

Matthew Sandys

Mine looked pretty good and it was a little ways off. I use the level method and it should be set for opener.

JoeMX1825
    MN

the best advice I’ve seen for an SI ducer setting is to put a small level on your boat rail next to your throttle while at idle speed (or whatever speed you will be scanning at) and add quarters to the back end until it levels out. Then when your boat is on the trailer and on a level surface add the same amount of quarters under level and then crank your jackstand until it levels out. Then set your ducer at that level..it should be slightly tilted backwards a bit ensuring smooth water glides across it resulting in the best returns…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Matthew curious to hear how much better the GT56 ducer is compared to the 54.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I did that and then dropped the back of the transducer a little bit more vs level and I get good SI returns (Humminbird SI)

There are other factors in play (hull/pad design, install location, amount of turbulence over the ducer face, etc) that will effect your SI return quality…

I would start with the slightly lower than level setting and then adjust a bit every time you take your boat out…I’ve seen the video of the guy who swears it needs to be heavily tipped backwards for best returns, but I thought his logic was suspect…

Matthew Sandys

Ya, I’m looking to playing with it every time I take it out.
    I did the same as the back is a little lower. Not much but my thoughts if I’m with someone it makes it level and by myself it is just a little off.

Matthew Sandys

I have a brand new GT 54 in the package and I have never used it. From what I saw the other day though it is good. Bird is a little bit better for some thingsfor SI but you really have to look hard to find bird better. I will take the touch screen over the menu menu of bird. Mapping does suck on Garmin so I still have a bird for the lakemaster.

I have a 54 if anyone wants it. I will sell it cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.