Strikemaster lazer mag 2000 tecumseh 2 hp repair

• tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

I have had this auger for several years and have been happy with its performance. A couple of weeks ago on a quite cold day I happened to snap the on off switch off when I was turning the auger off. I found a new interrupter switch and I just need to replace it on the auger. However to get at the switch you must remove the gas tank and take the top off the motor by the recoil to get at the switch. I cannot for the life of me get the two screws out that hold the filter for the carburetor – and then get at the two screws behind it. I have a picture of the two screws im talking about. They turn easily but I cannot get them to come out and the whole piece seems to be quite snugly fit. Any ideas or suggestions? A small engine shop nearby offered to fix it for me but he recommended I try it first as it would end up costing me 60 bucks or so. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. strike.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How did you get plastic handles in 2000? That motor looks in very nice shape for that year.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I believe I have the same auger or at least it looks the same. Your switch is not on the red flipper throttle? If those screws turn easily can’t you just pry off the black plastic shroud that covers the filter?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

How did you get plastic handles in 2000? That motor looks in very nice shape for that year.

Mike, the 2000 is the model….I have a 2007 Mag 2000 with the plastic handles…
    Tight_lines..it sounds like they are stripped out….mine come loose easily.
    Try pulling out on the cover while you loosen the screws…

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

No my on-off switch is not on the handle, it is a silver or chrome metal piece that is directly attached to the engine.

I have tried pulling on the cover but I almost feel like I am going to snap it in half and it doesn’t seem loose at all.

I have also tried using a vice grips to grab the end of the screws and pull while I turn. After that idea I used a drill to grab the head of the screw and pulled back while in reverse and that didn’t free them either.

Is there some type of catch that I should know about before i forcefully pry it off? I don’t want to break something else while fixing because I know this setup is no longer made and it can be difficult to even find parts for it.

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

Alright – i finally got it apart. It appears that the metal inserts were spinning but the screw was still tight inside. I ended up just prying a little at a time and finally got it free. It was still pretty snug.

I did manage to get it the rest of the way apart, but I have the wrong switch lol. So I will not be using the auger this weekend anyhow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments:
    1. strike2.jpg

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

How can a guy keep those metal peices in once stripped?

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

So I think I know why this happened – I’m pretty sure I used some lock tight on most of the bolts on the auger like those two and the one that holds the muffler on. I didn’t expect it to hold it so tight that I would strip out the metal pieces and I also didn’t know that they were just mounted in the plastic.

I was able to un screw the metal mounting pieces from the screws using a vice grips and they did have a little rust on them as well which may have contributed.

To put it back together I am going to epoxy or glue those inserts back into the plastic holes and then it should screw right in because the actual threading is not destroyed. I have already done this but I’m still waiting for my new switch to come in before I can put it all back together.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

i have that same auger also. wondering if your recoil has gone to heck yet, my starter rope now hangs out about 6 inches. how big a nightmare is that gonna be to replace. still the best $165 i spent! waytogo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.