Starting Battery ??? – 24 vs 27 series

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Coming to terms it is time to replace my starting battery. Test show it is fine, but in use, it isn’t making it through a day if I use the live well, and leave the locator on. Locator will eventually shut down, then the starting issue come.

Question, is there any advantage to getting a bigger battery? A 27 vs the 24. The higher-end Interstate MX-HD 24 series battery has almost the exact same cranking and cold amp at the 27, only difference seems to be in the reserve.

My tray and such are not large enough, so that would be added screwing around, but if I get something from the size, I am open to it.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I would think that a 33% increase in reserve capacity would be worth the trouble in replacing the tray. It’s not like you need more cranking amps, you need longer life during the day draw-down.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. interstate-starting-batteries.jpg

Chuck Melcher

33% increase in reserve capacity

The reserve thing is what I was having a hard time finding info on. If it was just about protecting the battery, or if I really got benefit from it (longer draw times from accessories before damaging the battery, or having starting issues). Guy at the local boat dealership said I didn’t get anything out of reserve.

scott-k
    Red Wing

Had a 24 and not adequate to run pumps, electronics, navigation. Went to 31. The tray was an easy fix–cut away one side with a sharp knife. Didn’t even take it out. Strap holds it in place. So, depends on your needs in boat, but a 27 would be minimum for me.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I have switched all of my trays to the big ones and have all group31s go as big as you can fit ,The reserve power is what matters to keep every thing running all day!

Stan wave

pale ryder
    NULL

I also run a group 31 starting battery, and I would not go less than a 27.

jon_wbl

Any added reserve means the less you have to worry about it during a day of fishing. I would go no less than a 27

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

What they said….. Go as big as what fits in the compartment. Having a battery that is not big enough is like having a under powered trolling motor, it works under certain conditions, but when you really need it, it is just extra weight and does you no good.

Chuck Melcher

Thanks everyone!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I had the starting issue happen once with all the accessories I have running.
    Emailed Mercury with my engine model / serial number
    and questioned them as to what to set
    the minimum voltage alarm on my Humminbird.
    They responded in just a couple of hours with 11.5 volts.
    When alarm goes off, I start the engine.
    For me it takes all day (7-8 hours) to drop to 11.5 volts.

Chuck Melcher

I’ll look into the voltage alarm as well.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I won’t run anything smaller than 29’s. Wish i could fit 31’s

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.