Smoked Ring Bologna

• reinhard thamm

Always time for sausage but this time of the year I switch over from fresh to smoked for the most part. I make all kinds but this is one of my favorite’s and heading up to deer camp [along with polish and chili dogs]. Great stuff and works well with simple things like fried potato’s after a long day’s hunt. You can see the step by steps in my site http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com in the Smokin Hot page. I don’t have any advertising on my site and I don’t sell nothing on it, it’s just my own retired guy’s deal and it’s been fun to do. I have moderated some outdoor site’s and my wife told me to make my own site, so I did. Here are some pics of the ring bologna I made. Reinhard

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2237.jpg

2. IMG_2239.jpg

3. IMG_2232.jpg

4. IMG_2236.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Man….that looks good. I have been doing a batch of ring bologna each year from venison and its a super great way to fix the meat. I like to bury a ring in a mountain of sauerkraut and let it simmer on the stove slowly for an hour, then dive in with the knife and fork.

I was digging thru my casings in the freezer the other day and put my beef casings in the front of everything else so now I have to get the deer.

reinhard thamm

Ya, that simmering kraut is a great side dish for a lot of things. Topping for polish on a bun is one. I make my own German kraut. I have had this since I’ve been a kid. The recipe is on my site in the Recipe page. I make it with bacon and in Germany we had it this way with pot roasts and other meals and still today. Once people that like kraut try it they stick with it. It’s awesome. Ya, I’m looking to get some venison myself. I hunt north of Duluth in area 180. Like many areas, last year it was bucks only and this year its a lottery area. I got my lottery tag so I’ve got better odd’s this year. Reinhard

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I checked your site and there are some very interesting recipes on it. I will definately be re-visiting it occasionally! waytogo

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Reinhard,
    I finally broke down and ordered my stuffer after reading your blog. (You did not twist my arm, it was just I finally decided to pull the cord after nearly a year of indecision) A whole lot of very good info there. I would like to see your wife get involved in your blog by manning the video camera!

I tried your cauliflower recipe tonight. I will do it in the oven next time as I did it in the smoker today with mixed results.

reinhard thamm

Thanks everyone!! Denny O, that stuffer will make your sausage making faster and more enjoyable. People will be amazed how much different it is versus stuffing from the grinder. Ya, that is my goal, to video sausage making and other stuff. There are so many moments that I wish I had my video camera with me when I’m fishing or in the deep woods of northern Minnesota. I do have a lot of film on old VCR tapes that I would like to convert also. I’ve only had my blog a little under 2 years now. I’m pretty old school and not that computer savy yet but my son-in-law will help me out. Reinhard

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Reinhard, Got my 10 lb. stuffer yesterday, after looking at it’s size, I forgot why I was debating on the 5 pounder so much as an alternative, lol!

Oh well, it is in the past now.

reinhard thamm

You will be happy with it believe me. I always spray the inside of the stuffer with Pam. Helps with the stuffing and also helps with clean up. Same with the inside of the stuffing tube and the gasket on the stuffer. Hope to see some of your sausage on here when you make it. I will be making some polish this week and Chili dogs soon after. I’ll post the results. Reinhard

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Here is what I did with deer meat last year.
    The smoker pic was actually from the year before, I was showing it for the process.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20150206_132042218_HDR.jpg

2. IMG_20150206_113955353_HDR.jpg

3. IMG_20140108_130716827.jpg

reinhard thamm

That looks great Denny!!!! Can’t wait for the hunt. Going up Nov. 6 for 5 days. Last year bucks only and this year lottery and two of 4 of us got a tag, so things are looking up. Just being there is however the main thing. Hope your stuffer will be very busy Denny!!. Reinhard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.