Shiners

• kratzy

Any bait shops near Alexandria area have shiners for this weekend? Thanks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did you call the bait shops ?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Sounds like Fletcher’s in Sauk Centre will have them, but yes you may want to call them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I heard that shiners were not in shortage this year like so many in the past.

JoeMX1825
    MN

based on the thousands of shiners swimming up & down the shallows of my shoreline last weekend, there should be no shortage this season…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I assume we’re referring to rainbow shiners. Not goldens. Very few golden shiners originate in MN.

Golden shiners die if you look at them wrong doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I assume we’re referring to rainbow shiners. Not goldens. Very few golden shiners originate in MN.

I love golden shiners when I do get minnows, they cam be a pain but I throw them in my bait well and just keep circulating water. They will last a while that way

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll bet you get them from Frankies LOL jester

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

based on the thousands of shiners swimming up & down the shallows of my shoreline last weekend, there should be no shortage this season…

Already in, sheez. I figured the original post was referring to spot tail shiners.

Red Eye

Ottertail county the only shinners that matter are spot tails. Buddy of mine commercial traps. Said he’s put on 500 miles so far and just yesterday started getting them.

We consider goldens trash when we seine.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Already in, sheez. I figured the original post was referring to spot tail shiners.

I’m not sure what specific type of minnows they are, but i’ve never seen so many this early in the season…perhaps the easier winter helped them out?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’ve never heard of a rainbow shiner, definitely never seen one in a bait shop. Rainbow minnows in bait shops are types of chubs, not shiners.
    In mn you’ll see Goldens, Spot tails, and emerald shiners.
    He’s looking for Goldens or spots in the alex area.
    I buy lots of shiners and don’t have problems keeping them alive.
    I’ve heard from my bait shop (65 bait) that Goldens and spots are coming and will be in before the weekend.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve never heard of a rainbow shiner, definitely never seen one in a bait shop. Rainbow minnows in bait shops are types of chubs, not shiners.
    In mn you’ll see Goldens, Spot tails, and emerald shiners.

Ya I worded that incorrectly. Was referring to the spot tail versions.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

90% of fisherman think a silver and a spot tail are the same thing.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

While we’re talking Shiners, any you guys set out traps? Usually we can get em with dip nets and a seine net in different spots but putting a trap along side the dock would be worth a try. All I have is a small tube trap, any suggestions to lure em in??

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

There’s a shiner shortage.Tutts bait in Garrison will have spot tails.

kratzy

Yep called around and wasnt finding them! Was hoping for some friendly help!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That contradicts my intel. Guess we better do some checking to find spot tails unless you are talking about the other kind?

Mike Oleson

Grubson–I’d be interested in your method to keep them alive, in the boat and at home.
    Are you in MN?
    PM me if you prefer….thx.

LabDaddy1

Rainbow shiners aren’t a thing(at least not in nature). Chubs are.

Lots of shiner species do exist here, though. Ie; goldens, spottails/common/lake, emerald, etc.. Some are more prominent in rivers and some in lakes. Fathead minnows on the other hand exist in all kinds of waterbodies across the US and gamefish gobble them up.

Creek chubs are cool and good bait. Often catch them while fly fishing for trout. Rainbow chubs/red belly dace are hardy and lots of gamefish love them, especially where they’re a natural baitfish. Harder to find and trap though.

When I lived in Florida I would catch big old golden shiners while fishing for bluegills with bread balls. Lots of 7-10” shiners. They would compete HARD for the bait with big bull coppernose gills. The bass in those ponds were HUGE. So were the tilapia which also loved bread and worms.

LabDaddy1

Btw, tilapia are gross fish. They school up and muddle around on nasty bottoms. It’s like eating a carp. Common? Yes. Edible? Yes. Desirable, not so much.

deertracker

Now that I have purchased what I need rotflol , yes, there are spot tails and golden shiners in Alexandria.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Found shiners by me. I guess it wasn’t as stocked as I thought. Bought 4 dozen and that’s all they had.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll bet you get them from Frankies LOL.

Lol no Frankie’s for this guy, I’ll drive 30 miles out if my way to avoid them. From what I’ve been hearing they are getting worse.

Nodakk

Brainerd area had shiners but was limiting scoops per customer. Fred’s in Deer River was fully stocked. They said the spottails started running on Red yesterday

Michael Best

Bens bait in Battle Lake has shiners. Most of the time they have common shiners and golden shiners.
    Called Shriners in walker and he is sold out already but trying to get some more. Northern bait company in Psrk rapids has shiners. Common, spot tails and goldens.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.