Otter Pro Ice Cabin???

• kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Looking for anglers experience with the Otter Pro Ice Cabin. I’m upgrading from an older Otter that had round tubing. http://www.otteroutdoors.com/otterproicecabin.html

Majority of my angling is solo but need room for 2nd angler at times.

I appreciate your feedback. Kurt

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve had one of those houses for a couple years now and I couldn’t be happier. The square tubing is fantastic and the plastic collars on the tubing greatly improve setup time. I’ve found no issues with the tubing binding or sliding.

The 900 denier shell wears like iron too.

It’s a bit much for one person, but like you I have people(mostly my kids) who like to fish indoors so the added room is appreciated.

If you chose to pick up this unit, be sure to install the Hyfax Runners on the bottom.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Rock solid house. I had the cabin 2 yrs ago and upgraded to the lodge for space of 2 anglers fighting walleye. I thought the cabin was toght for 2 when fighting fish that run a bit (lines were too close). But for 1 person and accasionally 2) you can’t go wrong. IMO the toughest MFG. And would also reccomend hyfax for wear and it also will pull easier.
    There is a reason otter costs more, you get what you pay for. -Mark

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I Just bought Pro Ice lodge and set up easy from what I can see is a well made Product and the new seats are awesome all we need is some good ice

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Kurt,
    If your pulling your Otter with a wheeler or sled where weight isn’t an issue…Go with the bench seat.. I have the Medium cabin and I love the comfort and room for extra people on the bench. It is easy to lift up and store supplies and equipment under. I lay my power auger on the support bar and can still get the cover to fit over the top of it all

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the replies so far!

I thought a LOT more guys on this site fished this flip shack so I’m surprised there’s not more replies. This shack is not cheap so I’d like to hear the honest reviews along with the rave reviews.

Thanks in advance! Kurt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I fish out of the lodge and the resort models so I can’t help you with first hand reviews on the cabin but as far as quality and durability goes, since they’re all built using the same materials, I can definitely chime in on that. You will have to sit in one and get a feel for if it meets your expectations for room as that comes down to personal preference.

When a guy buys an Otter he’s throwing money down on a ice house that is built to be the “best of the best” when it comes to materials used. 900 denier outer shell, roto molded tubs… thick square tube framing all makes for the toughest, most durable house I’ve fished out of. In 5 years of filming ice shows out of the Otters I’ve never once had any type of failure and I’ll be the first to admit we’re very hard on the houses as they function as our “pack mules” for all our gear. We cover a lot of lake, portage and trail miles and when we have a full load of equipment we’re dragging 200 – 250 lbs of gear in one resort. We’re carting around a 12′ crane + 75 lbs of ballast weight, light stands, lighting equipment, multiple cameras and film gear plus all the “normal” fishing gear that goes with a guy out on the ice. The hitch is bullet-proof and the tubs and frames never show much for wear at the end of the season when I turn them over and the thick outer canvas shell wears like iron. I know most competitors have stopped listing the denier rating of their houses because most are under 500 – 600 denier now to cut costs but you’ll be able to spot that difference by feel if you can get your hands on various models for comparison.

Two years ago I had 860+ lake, trail and portage miles on an otter resort that I was able to track using my odometer on the designated sled that pulled that particular house. I sold that house to a guy here on IDO. When he came to pick it up he commented on how it looked basically new.

If you plan to fish hard and often or just want to have a house that’s going to last a long, long time… I couldn’t recommend the Otter more highly.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

The Otter Cabin is a very nice product, extremly durable, easy/quick set up and take down, and the fabric is tough! I know with other houses, the bottom flap that you cover with snow to insulate your house, rips once it freezes to the ice and you try to pull it up. Not this one. I had mine out last night, and the bottom skirt froze to the ice and i didnt have to worry about tearing the fabric or anything.

I had 2 people in my house last night and my 65 pound yellow lab which layed in the sled, and no it wasnt ideal but i had plenty of room, even with 4 holes in the house, im not that big either 6’0, 175 but i didnt feel crowded at all. 90+ % of the time i fish by myself, and felt this house was perfect for that and also still very roomy to accomidate one other person (and a dog lol).

I think you will be very happy with your choice, any other questions just ask!

arklite881south

Hi Kurt,

The honest reviews will be the Rave reviews. I run current Otter Cabin and Lodge in my fleet within my guide service. Otters simply are superior houses in all phases of construction and fishing efficiency. Up front costs often confuse users in the total cost of an investment. Many times the seemingly more expensive model is the “Cheapest” investment in the long run. Beyond that you can utilize a superior product that allows maximum enjoyment while on the ice. Always nice buying a product you don’t need to apologize for whether it’s your business or hobby. The Square tubing is great, and arguably stronger than the round. I Haven’t had any issues with it, but frankly don’t even think about it. Extended and Retracted the Otter Tubular framing hundreds of times just last year on my houses in aggressive conditions with no incident. The Sled of course hands down is the meanest being produced “Bullet Proof” is an understatement. The 900 denier exterior scoffs at the many “firewood tarps” that are being utilized today by some manufactures. Floor space……Incredible…….Again leading the industry.

So with risk of being another “Rave” guy. My $$ is best invested with Otter Outdoors,and I hope they never stop producing quality to match prices with inferior product designs. So many products simply don’t hold up on the ice. As you know Ice fishing tests equipment,and the Otter is built to stand up to what you demand from it.

In the end go Otter….Then you too will be a “RAVER”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.