How I made my “Hog-Pipe” feeder. (Pic’s)

• HoffDERR

Let me start out by saying that ALL of these parts can be bought at Lowes for a little over 50.00

They sell a 5′ section of 4″ PVC pipe so you don’t need to buy a full length.
    As you can tell from the pictures you need a clean out on one end and a cap on the other.

I started out by drilling a 1/2″ hole in the cap and installing the 1/2″ eye bolt with a Ny-Lock nut on the inside with a 1/2″ fender washer. Do not tighten this nut up, have it to where the eye bolt will rotate, but not flop around.

You should be able to tell from the picture that I had to spread the eye bolt open to get the swivel in it. I then added a spot weld just to make sure the hogs didn’t pull it apart. I also added a little paint on it for rust.

The chain is 3′ long with a ring on the end for the 3/4″ pipe to go through that you drive in the ground that it pivots on. Make sure the pipe you drive in the ground has something on top of it to where they cant lift the end of the chain up over the top of the pipe. The hogs will push this thing around in a big circle, so make sure there is nothing in the way.

I then drilled five 1/2′ elongated holes to let the corn out as they rolled it around. Two on one side, and three 180 degrees on the other side.
    I didn’t want to drill to many , the purpose of the pipe is to try and feed them just a little and not a full 50lb bag of corn in one night.

Another trick you can do is to add some rocks to the inside to make them think that there is corn still in there. The other one I made is in the field. It might take them a week to figure out how to get the corn out of it, so be patient……….

(All pictures are copyrighted)

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pretty cool and good idea Rick, I wonder if hanging a small cowbell to one end would let hogs know from quite a ways that the dinner bell is working, so they’d come running too. I can see how your idea would work, again good idea.

alanmdk

I’m glad we don’t have them things up here!

HoffDERR

dammm,,,,,,thats a good idea about the Cow bell.

Ill put one on the next one I make,,that way I can bust one while Im walking up on’em,,,,,BooM!

Thanks !

HoffDERR

I put one on there,,,,but I haven’t taken a pic of it yet……..Ha-Ha-Ha

I’m gonna have some fun with this thing. Just think,,,you can fall asleep in the stand, and the hogs will wake you up when they get there………….To sweet!

Thanks for the idea!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

YW Rick, I wonder if the bell will signal other hogs that theres another hog trying to take thier food. They just might have fed and be 100 yrds away and hear the bell and turn right around and go back to the feeder, Its hard to tell. It would be pretty neat if thats one of the ways it worked out. If it did work out that way and one day you came to the feeder and there wasen’t any hogs there maybe shaking the feeder and making the bell ring would signal other hogs and they would come running becuase maybe they would think another hog is trying to get thier food. I know in hog lots they compete for food and maybe they will also around your feeder, ya never know. Once they figure out what the bell does maybe it will work. Let us know how it works and if they condition themselves to the bell. It would be nice if you got some video of them rolling the feeder around with the cowbell on it, be cool to see them come in to the feeder and you dropping one. I wonder if mixing some rabbit food along with the corn or setting another feeder somewhere and filling it with rabbit food if thats an even better food, I don’t know I’m just guessing. I know rabbit food is high in protein because its made from alfalfa and other grains, maybe sweeting the hog feeder with rabbit food would be good once in awhile too, I know its fairly cheap, up here anyway.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Quote:

Let us know how it works and if they condition themselves to the bell.

Pavlov’s Hogs!

HoffDERR

Yeah Dan,,,I thought about having another bell up in the stand with me. Just give the “Dinner Bell” a little ring when I get up there. This is gonna be fun!!!

Ill keep you posted…..

I put a little black paint on it to hide the shiny hardware.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You gotta get some Youtube videos put up with this thing in action. Especially when you let the Casull bark.

HoffDERR

Ive got to get the camera first. Ill try and do it with the phone and see if that works .

The wife and I are getting a good “HD” camera for Christmas, so it might take some time to get good video.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I hear ya Rick, money dosen’t grow on trees, might as well buy a good one if a guy can. The bell in the tree idea is a good idea, Belling or ringing in hogs, sounds cool. The end of that tube says Charlotte, do you know if thats North Carolina where the pvc foundrys at or is it just a Company name, I’ve often wondered what it meant.

HoffDERR

Yeah,,,I’m hoping the bell thing works. Like I said, Ill try the phone first and see how good that turns out.

The wife and I were just talking about the camera. Its lookin like it will be after Christmas when they go on sale. But Ill be posting some video,,,you know that!

The PVC,, That would be Charlotte, NC. I have been by the factory before. Pretty big place.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Were all looking forward to the videos Rick, heck ya. I thought that the foundry might have been in Charlotte, thanks for the info.

HoffDERR

Here is a couple more pic’s I took today of the first pipe I put down. We have only filled it up twice with corn. I think Ill set in this stand the next time we go.

I hunted a different area today (where the cow bell pipe number 2 was set up at),,but didn’t see any hogs, or get any pic’s of where it is set up at.

My buddy saw 6 does,,,but didn’t want to take any.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Rick, In the second picture is the grass worn down from the hogs rolling it around the anchoring pin? It nice to see pictures from a hog hunter in the south, any pictures showing us what its like around your area is neat.

HoffDERR

You asked,,,,”is the grass worn down from the hogs rolling it around the anchoring pin?

Yes Sir it is. They should have it down to the dirt in a few more weeks. (I hope so any way)

I hope they start working on pipe #2 with the bell on it.

I try to get all the pic’s I can. This was today after the hunt.
    Ill try to post more for you guys….

The guy I hunt with has been hunting this club for about 30 years. He told me today its the time of year when the hogs spend a lot of time in the swamps where the vegetation is thick and very muddy……
    He also was telling me about how the sows make a LARGE nest like area where she has her young,,I would like to get a pic of that,,but I don’t know if that would be a safe thing to do. Ha-Ha-Ha.

I hope to get one on the next trip.

HoffDERR

Update,,,Went back to the hog pipe today (I know its been a while)

It was empty, but the bell was still on it with just a little paint rubbed off. I did fill it back up.

Ill be hunting it tomorrow,,,so HOPEFULLY,,,Ill have some pic’s for ya.

HoffDERR

Im sorry to say guys,,the hogs didnt show up……Ill be going back next week (I hope)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.