How to mount a DI transducer exactly where you want it.

• Raymond Blimkie

Hello In depth outdoors. I bought my first new boat this spring, an MX1825. There was no way I was going to drill holes in this boat to mount a transducer. My first posts on IDO and the web were enquiring about mounting a transducer. I got lots of suggestions and ideas most were for SI transducers. I plan to mount an SI later. Anyways I was looking for someone to say mount it here (dimensions included) and you’re good to go. Did not happen. I figured no matter what I did there was high probability I would to move it. First thing I did was order a Stern Saver. I love it, no holes in my boat.
    To determine the optimum location for my transducer I decided I needed a temporary mount to move around to determine the best location. I went to buy a piece of aluminum to bolt the transducer too and then be able to clamp it to my transom and move around. Turns out an aluminum level is cheaper than stock aluminum, bonus, it’s a level to aid positioning.
    Long story shortened, I clamped the transducer to the transom and determined best positions. Then later had my fishing partner wife drive the boat for me while I moved it ever slightly around to eliminate spraying water and get best readings. Once back in the garage I recorded the exact location & dimensions and installed the Stern saver and the transducer where I wanted it.
    Attached are some photos, the clamp system, the finished install, and the first big catch, a 28”er that paid me $100 in a live release contest. 
    Photos to follow in additional spots due to size.

Raymond B

Attachments:
    1. Test-2.jpg

2. Test-1.jpg

Raymond Blimkie

Test transducer results.
    Raymond B.

Attachments:
    1. 28-In.jpg

2. Final.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

SBC has posted pictures of the optimal spot for the SI ducer from Humminbird on a MX1825, it’s where I mounted mine…

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Raymond,
    Excuse me, but I had to laugh at seeing your creative use for a level.

I’ll never forget, in my early years in a machine shop, an old man handed me a 0-1″ micrometer, and very sternly said; this is NOT a C-clamp!

HRG

Raymond Blimkie

Worked good cheaper than buying a piece of aluminum. Note I ran clear vinyl tape on the edges of the level so I would not scratch the boat.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I too was not happy about drilling 3 small holes in my boat, but I took my time and did it the right way and the SI signal is awesome. Do you plan on installing an SI ducer in that same spot? I ask because the motor mount/ladder would probably interfere with the port side beam…

Attachments:
    1. MY-SI-Ducer.jpg

pale ryder
    NULL

I made a bracket to mount a SI transducer to pre-existing holes in the outboard.

Attachments:
    1. HPIM0645.jpg

Raymond Blimkie

Hi guys I plan to add a second Humminbird with SI later, budget is maxed right now. Joe MX1835 I like you location, but like Pale Ryders bracket, thinking thats the way to. Thanks for feed back.
    Raymond B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.