Fish house generator

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Honda 1000 or 2000 (microwave, lights, ceiling fan, TV, radio, sm elec heater, coffee pot not all at once). Anyone using the Northern Tool Powerhouse 2000? It looks like someone copied the Honda patent.

sktrwx2200

I used the HONDA 2000….. get that add on fuel tank at the sport show and it runs for about a Day 1/2 depends on what you use. Super reliable and quiet. I dunno if the 1000 would have the juice to run a even a few of those things at once. MICRO and heater take a big draw.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Neither generator is enough for your needs as stated. Microwave, heater, and coffee pot are all high wattage hits and in combination with the other stuff on your list, it’s too much wattage for those generators.

Keep in mind, the 1000 or 2000 watts is the SURGE rating of the generator. The generators can’t provide that much wattage constantly, the 1000 is probably only 800 watts constantly, the 2000 is 1600 watts constant demand. That isn’t enough for what you want to run.

Grouse

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

A couple of hundred of these may fit the bill.

Attachments:
    1. HamsterInWheel.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I wouldn’t recommend less than a 2000. I can’t speak to the Northern generator, but I do love my Honda. To Grouse’s point we use everything you’ve mentioned except no electric heater and no issues. The heater may be OK or it may not, but that’s what I would look into further rather than go bigger on the generator.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

When it comes to a generator, I wouldn’t look past a Honda or Yamaha for those small units. There may be others that look the same, but there are often a ton of little things that separate them in a big way. Items like a carb… one uses nice brass screws with a drain screw that just needs to be turned out a little, vs a knock off where it has to come all the way out, and then falls on the floor. Jets and everything, spring loaded adjustment screws vs not. The quality is there for the price difference, and you often do get what you pay for.

jerry b
    western WI

I’ve had my eu2000i Honda since ’04 and have boondocked with it on my truck camper and the 28′ 5er. Granted, it won’t run the ac but it’ll handle everything else in the trailer. With a 6 gal extended run gas tank I’ve had it run constantly for 3-4 days with no problems ) jerr

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

OK, Honda it is. But why not something like a EG3500 rather then a eu2000i Honda? $899 for eu seems like alot for something that might get used 8-15 times a season. Just asking cause I’m new to this.

Chuck Melcher

Not familiar with the model… but I would call a couple Honda generator dealers, and ask… let them explain any differences so you get the best info.

sktrwx2200

The 3500 model is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than the 2000. That is why you will see more honda 2000EU than any other on the ice. It is the perfect mix of power and efficiency/price.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To Will’s point, IMO it’s the electric heater that really pushes it over the edge IMO. Get rid of that and the 2000 is more than enough. To get any noticeable heat, a heater will need at least 1000 watts constant running wattage on low setting and 1500 watts startup. High setting on most electric heaters is about 1250 watts watts running and 1500 startup. So that leaves you with only a few hundred watts to run everything else before you’re maxed out.

Grouse

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

The 2000 will be fine but you’ll have to unplug the heater to use the coffee pot, each will be 900 to 1500 watts. It’s the heating elements that get you to 2000 watt range. Get a Honda or Yamaha and be done with it and you won’t have everyone on the lake hating you because of the obnoxious noise. And don’t believe the Db ratings on the cheapies, they are 3-5 times louder.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

This may sound like a broken record, but I posted this same exact question in a thread last year, and I received an overwhelming response to purchase the Honda. I couldn’t agree more with Will, Grouse, and Hawg. Everything they said about the Honda 2000 is spot-on. I run a propane heater, so no draw on the generator there, but I’ve also run a pizza oven, microwave, fan, lights, and a host of other electronics with no issue. Going to buy the extended run tank this year at the show. You won’t be disappointed!

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Tmyboy, those extended run systems are EXTREMELY easy to make. Buy a machined cap off Ebay, a plastic boat tank(3 gal works for me), a couple connectors and gas line and it’s done.

castle-rock-clown

There are generators and inverters. Honda and Yamaha 2000 units are inverters / generators. The inverters have sine wave technology that play an important part in powering high end electronics like computers and flat screen TVs. I am not familiar with the higher wattage units, so please inquire as to their capabilities using high end electronics.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks all, I’m still shopping. It is clear from all the reviews that a Honda is the highest rated (and price), anyone ever use an Ariens 2000 model 986053? $750 compared to $1,000

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

Being a Honda owner, and having read hundreds of reviews, for $250 dollars why grasp at straws? I don’t get it.

WS

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’m pretty sure if you’re patient and make a few calls you’ll be able to find a Honda 2000 for around $900. milaca unclaimed freight may be a good starting place to look.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Fleet has a $50 rebate in their ad this week which I believe gets them closer to $900. That could be the worst $150 decision you ever make, unless you like people giving you dirty looks and moving far away. People with loud generators never point them at their own house, just like a smoker always puts their ash tray under the next guys nose. It’s just rude.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve done a ton of research on 2,000 watt generators, the Yamaha & Honda are leaps & bounds better than everything else out there and should be your only choice. I lean towards the Yamaha because it has a fuel gauge, comes with a D/C cable, and has a easy fuel shutoff valve to burn the gas out of the carb before storing.

Chuck Melcher

I can hook you up with a MN dealer that is selling them for $899…. tax extra. Just outside your area in Cambridge. Honda EU2000 If you want the Yamaha… another great choice, same price. He has them both. Sure he would be glad to help you see any differences in person, or ship it to you.

Let me know… a quicker direct way if needed, [email protected]

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve done a ton of research on 2,000 watt generators, the Yamaha & Honda are leaps & bounds better than everything else out there and should be your only choice. I lean towards the Yamaha because it has a fuel gauge, comes with a D/C cable, and has a easy fuel shutoff valve to burn the gas out of the carb before storing.

This is the Yamaha model I was talking about – Yamaha EF2000iS

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.