Muskies swimming with head above water…

• p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Hey guys, not a muskie expert, so figured someone in this forum would be able to explain this. On Saturday, I saw this two times, two different fish. It was one of the strangest things I have observed fishing. I watched one of the skis swim with head completely out of water perfectly balanced for about 35 yards opening and closing his chompers… I figured it was injured from being hooked or hit by a boat. When I gradually got closer to the fish with the electric they would balance out perfectly below the surface for a while and then zip off. Were they just trying to choke down a freshly caught meal? It was incredible. I wish I would have captured this on video.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have witnessed Pike at different times with the same behavior while fishing the river.
    This comes from a often asked questions and answers site
    I believe the second explanation might be what was witnessed. When they take off healthy, I imagine they just wanting to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

By chance were there many young ducks around?

Q & A
    Musky – Odd Behavior
    Question
    Why do musky sometimes swim slowly with their head out of the water? I have seen this twice in the last 2 years.
    Answer
    We receive more descriptions of unusual behavior associated with muskellunge than most other fish. For most of us trying to catch a trophy muskellunge, the “odd” behavior is swimming toward a lure and turning away just as one’s heart begins pounding in anticipation of an attack. From time to time, we do hear from anglers who have witnessed similar “head above water” actions like you describe.
    There are a couple of theories about this action, including:
    • Since muskellunge attack prey from the side and then swallow them head-first, the musky might bet taking one last gulp associated with consumption of a large meal.
    • Musky like to be well acquainted with their surroundings and are surfacing to get a “better look around.”
    Muskellunge have also been seem “basking” and occasionally “porpoising” with their backs out of the water. This is suspected to be associated with getting to warmer surface water, perhaps to increase metabolism and aid digestion of a large meal (reptiles seek warmth for similar reasons).

Sorry I can’t give a scientific answer, but this makes since to me.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I always figured they were doing that to screw with me.

“Hey, you can’t catch me but here I am!”

I’ve seen this happen on Cedar Lake near Star Prairie as well as on Bald Eagle.

Rootski

esoxhunter

I have previously read about people observing the same behavior you describe, on another bulletin board some years ago. I have only seen this one time myself, several years ago up on Big Round Lake in Polk County, Wisconsin. I have never heard of any real good explanation for why they do this, but it is quite the sight to see!

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I’ve seen it several times in a lake around here. It’s strange. I’ve seen it several times from shore, and a few times in my canoe (they let me get pretty close before taking off). This spring (just before opener), I saw one cruising back and forth in an area I was shore fishing. It would swim past on the surface for 50 yards or so, then go under. A few minutes later, it cruised back the other way. It kept doing this for darn near a half hour.

I guess I always assumed that they were screwing with me, too.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Looking for the chubby kid on the innertube??

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’ve never seen pure strain do this but have witnessed Tigers many, many times. Stingler has some awesome photos he got recently, maybe he’ll post ’em up here.

freedomrock

We were able to net a 36″ Pike doing this on Vermillion a few years back. We figured it was ill, thus our ability to net it.

Bob Bowman
    MN

They do this, because they can \

I know this question has come up a lot, but there really is not a good answer to why.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

My very educated internet expert opinion is that they are Muskie 007’s looking above to see what lures we are throwing so they know what not to eat.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Is it true when they do this, you hear the theme from Jaws?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

My very educated internet expert opinion is that they are Muskie 007’s looking above to see what lures we are throwing so they know what not to eat.

I got outsmarted by Jaws over the weekend. You may be on to something Jeremy

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Maybe regulating their air bladder? I saw one on Yellow a few years ago. I thought for sure it was dying and then after a half hour or so it just made a big swirl and was gone.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Now thats a Grill

Now thats some BLING

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Thanks guys, muskies truly fascinate me- over the past 3 years I have actually started to give up walleye time to bang my head against the wall fishing them. It is just too much of a rush, when you see one, or even better catch one or net one. In 3 years of fishing them once in a while, I have netted two, caught 1, and lost 1. The one that I lost, made me mad enough to continue pursuing them. Finally connected on a 42 last summer. I honestly did cast apprx. 3,600-4,000 times before connecting. Still yet to connect this year. Good fishing to all :waytogo p4

vern
    Richfield, MN

I’ve seen this behaviour a few times on Isles & Cedar in Mpls. It probably explains the Cedar Lake “alligator” sighting that made the news a few years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.