Broken Live Well Open/Close Switch

• smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have a new 09 Alumacraft and the open/close control on the back live well broke. When I bought the boat, I was told that it was a week system and the best thing to use was a plug in the drain. Has anyone else had this problem? How hard it is to replace the control cable? Also might try and put a nut on the end of the piece that broken off.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

wouldn’t that be covered under warranty? and if the dealer lied to you about that part being broke, i would be having some words with him…

jhalfen

Is it a flow-rite system, like that found in Skeeters or Rangers?

If so, I’ve replaced the switch and the cabling leading to the 2- or 3-position valve. Easy to do.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Dealer never lied, just said that after time, the open/close valve works hard and will break. It has worked great until last weekend when a piece of plastic broken at the control. I might be able to fix it with a 3/8″ nut or just replace the whole cable. Jason, that control switch looks like the one on my boat….has Open……Close….positions. I’m sure if I call, they will send me a new cable.

jhalfen

Yep, I broke one after a year on my Ranger. That switch does indeed work hard. Easy to replace (the switch and the cabling), and the company (Flow-Rite) has a nice on-line store with good service and fast shipping.

http://www.flow-rite.com/

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

I respect that you can fix it yourself! but why wouldn’t take it back to the dealer when you probably have at least a 1 year warranty. the dealer was honest with u & said it was a poor system I really don’t think they would have problem fixing it. And maybe they have came out with a better system to replace it & i’m sure he wants your return business as well. If your motor blew i bet you’d take advantage of the warranty.
    Phil

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

The dealer is 180 miles from where I live and the boat is in NW Wisconsin 240 miles from where I live for the summer. I’m sure there is an Alumacraft dealer closer but don’t want to mess with pulling the boat, waiting to get it fixed if I can fix it myself in an hour or so.

birddog
    Mn.

I’ve changed mine out…use the existing cable as a “fish tape”. A extra set of hands is helpful, even the wife. Disconnect the cable at both ends, pull a little up through the switch hole or start down in the bilge…what ever’s easiest, tape the new cable to the old and fish the new cable. Have the extra set of hands help it along. It took us about ten minutes total…easy job. Definitly not worth bringing it in.

BIRDDOG

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I thought about using the old one to fish the new one through. Called the dealer and have the new cable on the way, no questions asked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.